Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeOverrated bands/artists Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Overrated bands/artists

Go down 
+11
Bays
La Flama Blanca
solardave
steelerdude15
SteelCityMom
SteelersYak
mcg24
JonM229
vasteeler
Buddha Bus
Wallace108
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Overrated bands/artists Empty
PostSubject: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:06 pm

As we know, music is all about personal taste. So there can't be a wrong or right opinion in this thread.

But I'm curious ... who do you feel is overrated, and why. Hopefully, we can get some good discussions going. Overrated bands/artists 230572241

I'm going to start with ...

Bruce Springsteen

Bruce is treated like a rock and roll God. But once I get past Born to Run, Thunder Road, a few songs from Born in the U.S.A., and a few other stray hits, I can't think of too many truly great songs he has made. He has a lot of really good songs, but not what I would consider iconic songs. I like Bruce ... but I think most of his songs have been good at best, certainly not great.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:13 pm

I'm going to say The Grateful Dead. The only 2 songs I can name from them are "Truckin'" and "A Touch of Grey". I think you can only truly appreciate them if you are out of your mind on acid and weed. I never got the fascination with them. I understand Jerry Garcia was talented, but being a talented musician doesn't necessarily make you a great songwriter (*see Yngwie Malmsteen).

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
I'm going to say The Grateful Dead. The only 2 songs I can name from them are "Truckin'" and "A Touch of Grey". I think you can only truly appreciate them if you are out of your mind on acid and weed. I never got the fascination with them. I understand Jerry Garcia was talented, but being a talented musician doesn't necessarily make you a great songwriter (*see Yngwie Malmsteen).
I'm going to agree with you on both the Grateful Dead and Yngwie Malmsteen.

You named BOTH Dead songs I know, and the only really positive thing I can say about Yngwie is he has some awesome album covers. Overrated bands/artists 2087824411

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:23 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
I'm going to agree with you on both the Grateful Dead and Yngwie Malmsteen.

You named BOTH Dead songs I know, and the only really positive thing I can say about Yngwie is he has some awesome album covers. Overrated bands/artists 2087824411

Yngwie can play a mean guitar, but his music sucks arse.

My most vivid memory of that douchenozzle was from a Pantera video where they were staying in the same hotel as him and one of the guys runs into him in the hall or lobby and offers him a donut. Yngwie gets all pissy and spits at him, "NO, I don't want a fucking donut!" really arrogantly. Just seemed like a first class, Grade-A tool.

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:

as soon as read the title of this thread that is the first band that came to mind. i cant stand that band and it really not fair because they all are such talented musicians.i just cant get past the whole "dead head" thing. i swaer to got the smell of patchouli makes me want to vomit Overrated bands/artists 2744185472

so i will instead go with KISS. never understood that band. they were always classified as hard rock/heavy metal yet they wrote the sappiest love song with fifth grade lyrics. not metal or hard rock at all and lets not forget about their musical ability.....0
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 10:12 pm

Any jam band (Grateful Dead, Phish, and Dave Matthews Band especially) We don't need to hear 15 minute versions of a song that takes only 4 minutes to play in the studio. Also, their audiences need the drugs to take away from the awful music.

Any popular country artist, no exceptions. Enough with the twangy sound and cheeseball lyrics.

Aerosmith, but mainly I can't stand Steven Tyler.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 12:06 am

vasteeler wrote:
so i will instead go with KISS. never understood that band. they were always classified as hard rock/heavy metal yet they wrote the sappiest love song with fifth grade lyrics. not metal or hard rock at all and lets not forget about their musical ability.....0
OK, here's our first disagreement. I love KISS ... not as much as when I was younger, but I respect their honesty and what they're about. I saw an interview with Gene Simmons back in the 90s, and he was talking about musicianship and having to restrain young guitarists who replaced Ace Frehley. He said the band's goal was never to make great music ... it was to get chicks and have a good time. They never tried to be Zeppelin or Black Sabbath. They were about sex and having fun. To this day, any time I hear an old KISS song, I'm singing right along. Overrated bands/artists 98245350

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 4:42 am

JonM229 wrote:
Any jam band (Grateful Dead, Phish, and Dave Matthews Band especially) We don't need to hear 15 minute versions of a song that takes only 4 minutes to play in the studio. Also, their audiences need the drugs to take away from the awful music.

Any popular country artist, no exceptions. Enough with the twangy sound and cheeseball lyrics.

I agree on all points. Only question is, do you mean popular new country music? I agree there too. I do like Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Sr., Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, etc.

I also like new non-mainstream country like Shooter Jennings, Hank Williams III, Ryan Bingham, Hayes Carll, The Steeldrivers, Roger Alan Wade and others.

I also like country influenced rock like The Drive-By Truckers, Lucero and I Can Lick Any Sonofabitch In The House as well as several bluegrass and rockabilly bands.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 4:46 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

I agree on all points. Only question is, do you mean popular new country music? I agree there too. I do like Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Sr., Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, etc.

I also like new non-mainstream country like Shooter Jennings, Hank Williams III, Ryan Bingham, Hayes Carll, The Steeldrivers, Roger Alan Wade and others.

I also like country influenced rock like The Drive-By Truckers, Lucero and I Can Lick Any Sonofabitch In The House as well as several bluegrass and rockabilly bands.
Just as long as you don't include Lady Antebellum in that mix. What a fucking ripoff of The Alan Parsons Project ...

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 4:56 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

Just as long as you don't include Lady Antebellum in that mix. What a fucking ripoff of The Alan Parsons Project ...

I never heard 'em before and, hopefully, never will again. Do some of these bands have ANY original talent or conscience? Overrated bands/artists 1505004552

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 5:07 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
I never heard 'em before and, hopefully, never will again. Do some of these bands have ANY original talent or conscience? Overrated bands/artists 1505004552
They're one of the biggest county groups out there ... and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they won several Grammys for that song. Overrated bands/artists 1505004552

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:36 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

I do enjoy classic and alternative country. Drive-By Truckers are great. I also highly recommend Lucinda Williams.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Justin Bieber yet.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:43 am

JonM229 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

I do enjoy classic and alternative country. Drive-By Truckers are great. I also highly recommend Lucinda Williams.

are you kidding.....he so dreamy!!!!!
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:51 am

vasteeler wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

I'm pretty sure you just landed yourself on the next episode of To Catch a Predator

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 9:23 am

JonM229 wrote:
vasteeler wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

I'm pretty sure you just landed yourself on the next episode of To Catch a Predator

Overrated bands/artists 1824088959 ......ratbird Overrated bands/artists 1797695198
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 11:18 am

just heard one of their songs on the radio and i was reminded just how much i hate this band.....THE CARS totally overrated
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 5:17 pm

vasteeler wrote:
just heard one of their songs on the radio and i was reminded just how much i hate this band.....THE CARS totally overrated

NO WAY! I love the Cars! You makin' me sad, VA! Overrated bands/artists 3201610882

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 5:26 pm

vasteeler wrote:

Their first album was good, but there was just too much 80's cheese after that.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 5:32 pm

JonM229 wrote:
vasteeler wrote:

Their first album was good, but there was just too much 80's cheese after that.

I agree once it got to the album "Heartbeat City". That was the beginning of the end. All of their previous albums prior to that were very good I thought. And here, with you being from Wisconsin, I would have guessed you would LOVE the cheese! Overrated bands/artists 1797695198

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 9:27 am

I can't believe I forgot one of my most hated bands. I cannot stand U2. I'm sure some of it has to do with Bono being Bono, but their music does absolutely nothing for me.

The other day, the wife and I were on our way home and a horrible cover of Lou Reed's "Satellite of Love" came on the radio. We were trying to figure out who the butchers were the whole time. The DJ announced that the "excellent cover" was done by U2. I started shouting that U2 was awful and that I was going to call up the radio station and tell them that it was actually an awful cover.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 12:16 pm

JonM229 wrote:
I can't believe I forgot one of my most hated bands. I cannot stand U2.
I second this. Well, it's not that I can't stand them ... I like some of their stuff. But I've heard them referred to as the Band of the 80s. Really? They're THAT iconic? They're up there with Elvis, The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin? I think Britney Spears has had more hits than U2. Overrated bands/artists 1505004552

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
JonM229 wrote:
I can't believe I forgot one of my most hated bands. I cannot stand U2.
I second this. Well, it's not that I can't stand them ... I like some of their stuff. But I've heard them referred to as the Band of the 80s. Really? They're THAT iconic? They're up there with Elvis, The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin? I think Britney Spears has had more hits than U2. Overrated bands/artists 1505004552

Yeah! Besides, THE band of the 80s would definitely be A Flock Of Seagulls... everybody knows that! Overrated bands/artists 3798349058

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Also, they're a bunch of filthy Irishmen

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 5:23 pm

JonM229 wrote:

HEY!!!!!!!!!!! Overrated bands/artists 2672159185

WATCH IT, ME BOY-O!!!!!! Overrated bands/artists 2625562446

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists EmptySat Apr 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

HEY!!!!!!!!!!! Overrated bands/artists 2672159185

WATCH IT, ME BOY-O!!!!!! Overrated bands/artists 2625562446

I was waiting for someone to get offended.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overrated bands/artists   Overrated bands/artists Empty

Back to top Go down

Overrated bands/artists
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next