Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomePlayers believe Ward will retire Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Players believe Ward will retire

Go down 
+7
solardave
vasteeler
stlrtruck
Gingerchip
SteelCityMom
supytalpeht
Wallace108
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Players believe Ward will retire Empty
PostSubject: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Mike Freeman
cbssports.com

Did Hines Ward play his last game? It appears he might have. A Steelers player texted to me the expectations around the team was that Ward would soon announce his retirement. That doesn't mean it's set he will. That means some Steelers players believe it which means it's likely to happen.

Ward is a different sort of dude. He could decide to hang on for one more year. But for the moment that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ward is clearly done physically. He just doesn't have the burst he once did. He was held without a catch against the Broncos and has become an afterthought in the Pittsburgh offense.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/34284011

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 12:36 pm

It will suck not to see that smile, but the time has come.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Yeah, I love the man, but you have to go out with some grace. Hanging on for another year (while I would still support and cheer for him) isn't what I think he should do. Hope to see him on the sidelines as coach someday soon.

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 12:44 pm

supytalpeht wrote:
It will suck not to see that smile, but the time has come.
Short. Sweet. To the point. And I agree 100 percent.

SteelCityMom wrote:
Yeah, I love the man, but you have to go out with some grace. Hanging on for another year (while I would still support and cheer for him) isn't what I think he should do. Hope to see him on the sidelines as coach someday soon.
I was really hoping we'd win the Super Bowl this year so he could go out like Bettis did. (Well, I wanna win the Super Bowl EVERY year, but you know what I mean). But not every story has a fairytale ending.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:22 pm

NO NO NO NO NO!!! I can't bear it!!!!! Players believe Ward will retire 2164293255

Ok - thank you for letting me have my little tantrum. Come on, one more year guys? I still say no one can make the play up the middle and block like Hines. Can't I live in my fantasy world just one more year? UGH! It breaks my heart to see him go. I really wanted to see him get a hero's farewell at a last home game much like Bettis did. This guy gave his heart and soul to the team. I just hate the way they treated him in his last year. If what I read is accurate, they demoted him without basically giving him a heads up. I think he deserves more than that.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Gingerchip wrote:
NO NO NO NO NO!!! I can't bear it!!!!! Players believe Ward will retire 2164293255

Ok - thank you for letting me have my little tantrum. Come on, one more year guys? I still say no one can make the play up the middle and block like Hines. Can't I live in my fantasy world just one more year? UGH! It breaks my heart to see him go. I really wanted to see him get a hero's farewell at a last home game much like Bettis did. This guy gave his heart and soul to the team. I just hate the way they treated him in his last year. If what I read is accurate, they demoted him without basically giving him a heads up. I think he deserves more than that.
I understand what you're saying, Ginny. Ward is my all-time favorite Steeler. But the road comes to an end for even the great ones. And I'm afraid Ward has reached the end. Even if he came back next season, he'd be behind Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery. The only reason he saw as much action as he did after being demoted is because of the injury to Sanders and they were trying to get him his 1,000 receptions. He would sit the bench even more next season, and that's no way for him to go out.

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:43 pm

[quote="Wallace108"]
Gingerchip wrote:

I understand what you're saying, Ginny. Ward is my all-time favorite Steeler. But the road comes to an end for even the great ones. And I'm afraid Ward has reached the end. Even if he came back next season, he'd be behind Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery. The only reason he saw as much action as he did after being demoted is because of the injury to Sanders and they were trying to get him his 1,000 receptions. He would sit the bench even more next season, and that's no way for him to go out.

I know you're right.......I just need some time to adjust. I'm trying to convince myself that Brown will be our new "Hines Ward", but then again, there will never be another Hines just like there won't be another Bettis, Harris, Greene, Lambert, etc. Guess it's time for me to put on my big girl britches and accept the inevitable. I even have a fantasy that' they'll offer him some type of other role with the Steelers. I think that maybe this will be the last year for Farrior too, another one of my favorite players. *sigh* Well, change isn't always easy for the human psyche, but hope is everlasting. I have no doubt that another Steeler will win my heart eventually. Looking forward to 2012 and it wil be exciting to see who we pick up in the draft!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Yeah, I'd love to see Ward end up being our wide receivers coach. Or maybe serve the team in some other capacity.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm with you Ginger. ONE MORE YEAR! He can still be a leader in the locker room and with a new (hopefully) offensive coordinator he could be valuable again on the field as he was a few years ago.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Players believe Ward will retire 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Ok....this is off the Hines Ward topic, but I don't think I'm allowed to start a new thread yet.

Anyway.....what do you guys think about Big Ben? Do you think he is an elite qb that should be grouped with the Brady's of the world or........

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Gingerchip wrote:
Ok....this is off the Hines Ward topic, but I don't think I'm allowed to start a new thread yet.

Anyway.....what do you guys think about Big Ben? Do you think he is an elite qb that should be grouped with the Brady's of the world or........

You can start a new thread.
After clicking on the Steelers forum, you'll see a white button at both the top and bottom left that says New Topic. Just click that button.

The Ben topic should make for some good discussion, so I encourage you to fire it up.

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm

no way on hines, i hate to say it but its time to move on. no sense in taking up a roster spot especially since we are loaded at the position

welcome to the board GC Players believe Ward will retire 230572241

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome vasteeler!

I STILL say yes on Hines. It will be 45 years down the road and I'll still say yes on Hines! Players believe Ward will retire 1378315869
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:31 pm

SteelCityMom wrote:

Players believe Ward will retire 3135543967 Weren't we saying the same thing about Jerome the year before we won the SB in Detroit? What's Hine's home town. Let's lobby for the next SB to be played there!!! Players believe Ward will retire 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: .    Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:37 pm

Players believe Ward will retire 3135543967 Weren't we saying the same thing about Jerome the year before we won the SB in Detroit? What's Hine's home town. Let's lobby for the next SB to be played there!!! Players believe Ward will retire 1797695198 [/quote]

Yeah, good idea. Atlanta is where his primary residence is located. I actually like the coaching idea for the WRs. I can at least still see his smiling face on the sidelines. Doesn't Joe Greene still work in some capacity for the Steelers? Doesn't he help with the scouting or something? So why not Hines? He loves the organization and the city.
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 6:43 pm

we need other areas that need to address
plus he did not do a damn thing the last month
of the season

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
BigRick
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 12:31 am

I'll be sad to see him go but I think it's time. He's had a great carrer and I love the guy, but he's getting to old and slow. Players believe Ward will retire 1401235891
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 am

As I've said before, I believe Hines can still be a valuable asset to our offense. Maybe begin the transition for him from player to coach, renegotiate his contract to this year only, but also have him be a player/coach. He's valuable to this team, and losing him to another team would devastating.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 11:13 am

I don't see Ward retiring, but I don't see him playing much either. He will definitely be more of a coach than anything, as Truck said above. He's valuable to this offense in terms of his experience, and veteran leadership, but he won't be very valuable in moving the ball. If he can come to realize that, then I think he'll stick around for next season. If he can't handle the idea of restricted playing time, he'll either retire or move on to another team, which I REALLY hope doesn't happen. It just can't end that way...

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Ward is not done yet. Either a. He will get an offer he can't refuse from another team or b. He will tell fans when it is his last year so that they can come out and support his victory lap. Tell me that wouldn't be some motivation for the team to play above themselves knowing it's Hines' last year.

I hope I'm right with option b.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 2:46 pm

BGSU A Dub wrote:
Ward is not done yet. Either a. He will get an offer he can't refuse from another team or b. He will tell fans when it is his last year so that they can come out and support his victory lap. Tell me that wouldn't be some motivation for the team to play above themselves knowing it's Hines' last year.

I hope I'm right with option b.

Well he did say he wanted to play out this contract and retire a Steeler. But with two years left, I'm not sure that's got teeth anymore. I'm hoping he and the Steelers can figure out a 1 year contract, and send him out in style - SUPERBOWL MVP!

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Players believe Ward will retire   Players believe Ward will retire Empty

Back to top Go down

Players believe Ward will retire
Page 1 of 1