Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeHBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific Empty
PostSubject: HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific   HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 4:16 pm

So I've watched both HBO Series on WWII:
Band of Brothers (watched it a few years back)
The Pacific (just finished the DVD set)

While both portray historical events, the one thing that stands out is the difference between the two battles.

While Band of Brothers portrays the European battles, it also outlines the availability of various life comforts that were there for the soldiers.

The Pacific was more disturbing in my mind. Outlining battles I had never heard of in history class. And more discomforting was the mental breakdowns that the Marines suffered on the various islands during the multiple campaigns they participated.

I don't know how well they capture the spirit of the battles or the difficulties that the various men and women faced, but these two mini-series make me appreciate the men and women who sacrifice their life for the sack of freedom.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific   HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 5:22 pm

This reminds me of something I saw last night. Unfortunately I can't remember all of the details, like what island this took place on. But, here's the gist. We were fighting a battle on a Japanese island that lasted either 24 days or 24 hours. At the end of the battle 20,000 of the islands residents jumped off a cliff to their deaths to avoid surrendering to the US Soldiers.

/edit

If I've said it once I've said it 1,000 times. Google is your friend

Quote :
American Landing
The liberation of Saipan was a sad chapter of fighting ahead, with fanatical military defense and civilian deaths. US Marines landed on June 15, 1944. The island was the first objective of the 2nd and 4th Marines Divisions of the 5th Amphibious Corps. The Army's 27th Infantry Division was in reserve. 20,000 US Troops went ashore on the south of the island, under heavy Japanese fire. There were approximate 20,000 men in each division for a total of approximate 70,000 if you include such outfits as ship board marines thrown into the fight and such elements as the 29th Marines also known as the Bastard Battalion. They went ashore on D-Day with Approximately 1,200 men and were pulled off the line a little over two weeks later with only 200 men left, not counting replacements. By the end of the battle, there were 3,500 US casualties. Several Japanese counter attacks and Banzai charges bloodied the US forces as they fought their way to the north The civilian population of Saipan committed mass suicide by jumping off cliffs at Marpi Point or committing suicide with hand grenades in caves. An estimated 22,000 civilians died in the battle. The Japanese committed suicide at at least two different locations on the north end of the island, Banadero "Last Japanese Command Post". Lt. General Saito and Navy Admiral Nagumo committed heri-kari in a cave on July 9, 1944, the day the island was declared secured by the US forces.

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/provinces/marianas_saipan.html
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific   HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:32 am

While their aryan counterparts were surrendering all over Europe, these guys were committing suicide raids to kill as many Americans as they could before taking their own lives. And even some of our own bordered on insanity in the actions they took during the Pacific campaigns.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific   HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 am

Sorry Truck didn't mean to hijack your thread, just thought it was interesting.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific   HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 8:46 am

supytalpeht wrote:
Sorry Truck didn't mean to hijack your thread, just thought it was interesting.

You didn't hi-jack anything. It's kind of on point, and goes hand in hand with what I was saying about how the soldiers in the Pacific saw a different life than their counterparts in Europe.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific   HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific Empty

Back to top Go down

HBO Series: Band of Brothers VS. The Pacific
Page 1 of 1