Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers ready for big changes on defense Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers ready for big changes on defense

Go down 
2 posters

What defensive players would you let walk/cut if you were GM. (Choose as many as you like)
Bryant McFadden
Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_lcap28%Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_rcap
 28% [ 5 ]
Casey Hampton
Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_lcap17%Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_rcap
 17% [ 3 ]
James Farrior
Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_lcap17%Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_rcap
 17% [ 3 ]
William Gay
Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_lcap6%Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Larry Foote
Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_lcap6%Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Aaron Smith
Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_lcap28%Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_rcap
 28% [ 5 ]
All of the above
Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_lcap0%Steelers ready for big changes on defense Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Steelers ready for big changes on defense Empty
PostSubject: Steelers ready for big changes on defense   Steelers ready for big changes on defense EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 9:46 am

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 22, 2012, 8:59 AM EST

Expect the Steelers’ defense to look a lot different in 2012 than it looked in 2011.

Although the Steelers have said they don’t want to tear things apart this offseason, the reality is that they’re currently slated to be about $25 million over the 2012 salary cap, which means there are going to be some difficult decisions to make. And many of those decisions will involve releasing longtime veteran starters on defense.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that multiple defensive starters will be cut before the league year starts on March 13. The names that could be gone include Aaron Smith, Bryant McFadden, James Farrior, Casey Hampton and Larry Foote.

On the other hand, Bouchette writes, several defensive players are untouchable: Troy Polamalu, LaMarr Woodley, James Harrison, Ike Taylor, Brett Keisel, Ryan Clark and Lawrence Timmons won’t be going anywhere, even though they’re all high-priced veterans.

(Read More:) http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/22/steelers-ready-for-big-changes-on-defense/

Last edited by Buddha Bus on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers ready for big changes on defense   Steelers ready for big changes on defense EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 9:49 am

On the Steelers: Expect a defensive upheaval Farrior, Hampton candidates to go
Sunday, January 22, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

At $4.89 million, Casey Hampton would count the most against the salary cap in 2012.
Warren Sapp's infamous shot across the Steelers' defensive bow -- old, slow and it's over -- might have been a bit premature when he said it after their opening 35-7 loss in Baltimore.

Now the Steelers' hierarchy will deliver that message. Look for them to drop the hammer before March 13 on as many as four players who opened the season as starters in that game against the Ravens, and maybe not stop there.

The defense that yielded the fewest total yards, total points and total yards passing will take the biggest hits all over the next few months. Injury, age and the salary cap are the culprits.

The Steelers are $25 million over the roughly $124 million salary cap that will go into effect March 13. That, Steelers president Art Rooney said Tuesday, will call for some tough decisions. What makes some particularly difficult are the long and distinguished careers that either will end or reach their Pittsburgh end soon.

Candidates on defense to be released and their scheduled 2012 salaries that would vanish if they are: Aaron Smith ($2.1 million), Bryant McFadden ($2.5 million), James Farrior ($2.82 million), Casey Hampton ($4.89 million), and Larry Foote ($3 million).

Releasing those five would whittle $15.31 million from their salary cap. In addition, William Gay and Chris Hoke will be unrestricted free agents.

That comes to four starters, whether you count McFadden on opening day or Gay, who replaced him; a virtual starter in Foote; and a longtime starter-capable backup in Hoke.

Poof, $15 million erased from the cap!

(Read More:) http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12022/1204978-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think it's no secret we need to trim the fat (sorry, Snack! Steelers ready for big changes on defense 1797695198 ). What defensive players would you send packing this offseason?

I voted BMac, Hampton, Farrior, Smith and Gay. I originally thought I would keep Gay, but the more I think about it, I want to see a young guy step up. If that means throwing Lewis, Allen, or C. Brown into the fire, so be it. Gay was much improved this season under Carnell Lake, but I want fresh, cheaper blood. I'd rather move some money towards O-line.

I also wouldn't be against letting Foote go, but Sylvester hasn't exactly torn the roof off. If we can draft a stud rookie ILB and Sylvester shows improvement this off-season, I'm all for letting Foote walk too. I just balk at the idea of letting both Farrior and Foote go at the same time with no clear cut replacement for them. So, for now, Foote stays for me.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers ready for big changes on defense   Steelers ready for big changes on defense EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Now it's time to start drafting for the 4-3 defense

you got the LBs, outside Timmons and Worilds, middle Harrison

DTs Hood and Heyward, DE Woodley

and a bunch of young DBs.

With the 4-3 defense you can simplify the defense from LeBeau's 3-4 to get the new drafted players on the field quicker. Steelers ready for big changes on defense 3135543967

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers ready for big changes on defense   Steelers ready for big changes on defense Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1