Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro

Go down 
+5
hindes204
JonM229
solardave
Wallace108
Buddha Bus
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro Empty
PostSubject: Welcome aboard, David DeCastro!   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:47 pm

With the 24th pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select David DeCastro G, Stanford.

Welcome to the greatest team in the NFL, Mr. DeCastro. You are sorely needed and unbelievably appreciated.

I can't believe we finally get a guy of this caliber for our o-line. Long overdue. I'm extremely excited to see what he can do to help this offense and to protect Ben. The more I think about this pick, the more excited I get!

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro David-DeCastro-600x328

Steelers select DeCastro

SteelersXtreme.com

Sometimes things just fall right into your lap.

With the 24th pick in the first round of the 2012 NFL draft on Thursday, the Steelers selected Stanford guard David DeCastro. The 6-foot-5, 316-pound guard was projected to go earlier in the round, but because of a flurry of trades and a few surprise picks, the 2011 unanimous All-American was still available when the Steelers were on the clock. And they wasted no time in pulling the trigger on one of the top offensive linemen in the draft.

The Steelers' offensive line has been an area of concern in recent years, and the addition of DeCastro will help solidify a line that also will benefit from the return of tackle Willie Colon, who spent last season on injured reserve.

Some NFL scouts have said that DeCastro may be an even better interior-line prospect than Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey was when the Steelers drafted him with their 18th pick in 2010. If he lives up to that billing, Steelers fans will quickly get over losing out on Alabama linebacker Dont'a Hightower, who many projected to go to the Steelers and who was selected with the next pick by New England.

© Steelers Xtreme 2012

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 12:28 am

Steelers Digest ‏ @SteelersDigest

Colbert said they had identified some players they would trade up to get, and DeCastro was one of them.

https://twitter.com/#!/steelersdigest

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 12:43 am

Quote :
It looks like the Steelers' strong run in the first round will continue after they selected Stanford's David DeCastro. This was either a case of good fortune or the fact that teams don't value guards.

No one predicted DeCastro to the Steelers because he wasn't expected to make it out of the top 20. DeCastro had to slide past four teams -- the Kansas City Chiefs (No. 11), the Arizona Cardinals (No. 13), the New York Jets (No. 16) and the Cincinnati Bengals (No. 17) -- to get to the Steelers. He will likely replace Doug Legursky as the starter at left guard.

DeCastro is a big, physical and nasty offensive lineman who turns a mediocre offensive line into a stronger one.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/57629/steelers-draft-david-decastro-at-no-24

I disagree. ... Our line isn't anywhere close to mediocre.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 6:56 am

I'm glad we got him and I'm also glad the "Rats" didn't get Hightower. Overall day 1 was awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 7:58 am

Quote :
“Before the draft,” said Colbert, “we identified several players we’d trade up to get, and (DeCastro) was one of them. I’ll leave it at that. With every pick the odds increase. When we picked, there was a nice group. We would have been happy with three or four guys who were available at our pick. Really, a better group presented itself than we thought would, but he was one we had identified as a possibility to trade up to get.”

This morning, every team that made a first-round pick is happy with the player they got, but there was almost a giddiness about Colbert and Tomlin when they walked into the media room to talk about theirs.

“We were out there for his pro day, (offensive line coach) Sean Kugler and myself made the visit out there, and he had an outstanding pro day,” said Colbert. “Quite honestly, it scared us a little bit, because he worked out so well we didn’t think there was any way we’d get a shot at him.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/DeCastro-pick-was-a-no-brainer/3de47898-5e9c-4676-b3b9-3815b96fbfe6

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 8:08 am

Aren't you guys afraid that since he played under Harbaugh he'll be showering Tomlin with Gatorade during the regular season?

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 8:19 am

2 things are clear:

1. The Steelers never expected DeCastro to be there when they picked.
2. They were willing to trade up for him.

When asked if they tried trading up, Colbert said: "I’ll leave that to the imagination."

Man, I can't even imagine the nervousness as each pick goes by and the guy you never thought you'd have a shot at is still there. Do you give away valuable picks and trade up? Do you sit still and hope he continues to fall? Ultimately, I suspect there were a handful of players the Steelers would have been thrilled with, and they were all there when it was their time to pick. They must have felt like kids in a candy store.

I haven't been this excited about a first-round pick since we took Ben. If every pick we make in the next rounds turns out to be a bust, this draft is still a success. Kudos to the Steelers front office, and hats off to a few other teams for making stupid picks that allowed DeCastro to fall to us.

Would you rather be good or lucky? The correct answer, of course, is both.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 8:20 am

JonM229 wrote:
Aren't you guys afraid that since he played under Harbaugh he'll be showering Tomlin with Gatorade during the regular season?

Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1664291743

I think you're confusing your Harbaughs again.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 8:34 am

I can't remember where it was posted, but the best line of the night came from tony hipchest at Fever ... something about other teams preparing to be DeCastrated. Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1664291743

He then offered this:

Quote :
ive got the official nickname-

Decastrator

Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1647293567

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 9:02 am

Fact: It took the Colts longer to pick Luck than it did for the Steelers to pick DeCastro.

Back to top Go down
hindes204

hindes204

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 10:31 am

LT Marcus Gilbert
LG David DeCastro
C Maurkice Pouncey
RG Ramon Foster
RT Willie Colon

Thats a pretty solid line (finally) that should help the run game tremendously and provide a lot more protection for Ben. This is just my guess on the line of course, Im assuming Legursky will be the 6th man and Decastro will move over to left guard even though he played RG in college.

Just my guess of course, but I think this line gives us the best combination.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 2:11 pm

hindes204 wrote:
LT Marcus Gilbert
LG David DeCastro
C Maurkice Pouncey
RG Ramon Foster
RT Willie Colon

Thats a pretty solid line (finally) that should help the run game tremendously and provide a lot more protection for Ben. This is just my guess on the line of course, Im assuming Legursky will be the 6th man and Decastro will move over to left guard even though he played RG in college.

I'd still like to see Legursky in there somewhere. Maybe in place of Colon. I think Legursky offers the offensive line something. Definitely better than Colon (imo)

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 2:12 pm

hindes204 wrote:
LT Marcus Gilbert
LG David DeCastro
C Maurkice Pouncey
RG Ramon Foster
RT Willie Colon

if that line up can stay healthy we are going to have a good fucking o-line for a change Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1372836603

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 3:24 pm

can we now get a real FB ?

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 3:33 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
hindes204 wrote:
LT Marcus Gilbert
LG David DeCastro
C Maurkice Pouncey
RG Ramon Foster
RT Willie Colon

I'd still like to see Legursky in there somewhere. Maybe in place of Colon. I think Legursky offers the offensive line something. Definitely better than Colon (imo)

Especially if you factor in Colon's health or lack of it I should say.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Man, you guys are being tough on old Willie. Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1797695198

He was our best o-lineman just 2 years ago and has just had a couple of bad luck seasons with injuries. I, for one, am excited to get Colon back and with the additions of Gilbert and now DeCastro, we could have an actual legit o-line for the first time since Cowher was still coaching.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Man, you guys are being tough on old Willie. Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1797695198

He was our best o-lineman just 2 years ago and has just had a couple of bad luck seasons with injuries. I, for one, am excited to get Colon back and with the additions of Gilbert and now DeCastro, we could have an actual legit o-line for the first time since Cowher was still coaching.

Heah if he stays healthy he's the man but the last 2 years may have taken it's toll. I hope he does come back . I like Legursky too but I like knowing he can come in almost anywhere he's needed. I thought he filled in for Pouncey and did a good job.

It would be nice to pick up a RT in maybe RD 3 or 4.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 5:30 pm

solardave wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Heah if he stays healthy he's the man but the last 2 years may have taken it's toll. I hope he does come back . I like Legursky too but I like knowing he can come in almost anywhere he's needed. I thought he filled in for Pouncey and did a good job.

It would be nice to pick up a RT in maybe RD 3 or 4.

I think Colon will be healthy and ready to go this season. I can't see a third straight season-ending injury. If he does, he'd better start sacrificing chickens to the gods or something. Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 3798349058

I too like Legursky as a backup. He's very versatile and gives us excellent flexibility at all positions on the line. He can fill in admirably for anyone in a pinch and get the job done. I just don't think he's an every week starter for us.

I wouldn't mind another o-lineman in this draft, but I'd rather see an ILB, safety, and NT chosen before another o-lineman since we got such a stud with the 1st pick. I'd also like to see a FB and a 7th round kicker selected to push Suisham for that job. Another receiver to start grooming for a replacement for the inevitable departure of one of our top WRs next season would be sweet too. Maybe a speedy or tall project type in round 5 or 6.

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 3:10 am

DECASTRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1372836603 Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1372836603 Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1372836603

Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 3:26 am

Gingerchip wrote:
DECASTRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1372836603 Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1372836603 Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1372836603
I can't tell how you feel about the pick. Are you saying you don't like it? Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 2087824411

Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 4:31 am

Quote :
I can't tell how you feel about the pick. Are you saying you don't like it?

LOL! This could be one of the best picks since......wait....*sniff* Hinesy.

I really like this kid. Watched his press conference. He is really intelligent and a hard, dedicated worker. Fits the Steeler mold perfectly! Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro 1647293567

Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro   Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers select Stanford guard David DeCastro
Page 1 of 1