Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeA Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) Empty
PostSubject: A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary)   A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 10:19 am

A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits
Part IDavid DeCastro

By John Race
SteelersXtreme.com

As the 24th selection of this year’s draft came in and Roger Goodell walked to the podium, how many Steelers fans and draft experts were thinking: Hightower! What a dream pick that would have been. One of the best inside linebackers, on college football’s #1 team, heading to the NFL team known for outstanding linebackers. It was the sexy pick, the Ferrari pick for the defense.

Then Goodell opened his mouth and announced “David DeCastro”. Even the ESPN crew hesitated for a second. DeCastro isn’t a Ferrari … he’s a bulldozer. Drafting a bulldozer isn’t sexy. But the Steelers aren’t about sexy, they are about winning. If you need that flashy pick during the draft, you should become a fan of the teams that consistently pick at the top of the draft order.

Picking DeCastro at the 24th spot was incredible for the Steelers, because he should have been selected in the top 10 of this draft. The only reason Kevin Colbert can’t be accused of grand theft for this pick is because at least 15 other NFL teams should first be accused of negligence for not drafting DeCastro. Because he’s not a Ferrari, the Steelers just got themselves a new bulldozer for cheap.

I haven’t read a single scouting report on the players the Steelers selected this year. After all, knowing what DeCastro does with his hips, how his hand placement ranks amongst his peers, or what his 6 cone shuttle time was at the combine isn’t important. But knowing that he can plant a linebacker in the turf is important and that can be witnessed in game film.

After watching several Stanford games, it became apparent to me that DeCastro is mechanically sound in almost all phases of his game. He displays near perfection in the three key components required of a run blocker: 1) Initial contact; 2) Body alignment; 3) Leg drive (while keeping his feet almost shoulder width apart the entire time). DeCastro fires off the line very quickly and makes excellent initial contact. He keeps his upper body square to the defender, then displays consistent drive with his legs to move the defender. Most good players can do this in head-on situations. DeCastro can do this when he’s having to reach for a defender, meaning when a defender is aligned in a gap and not directly across from him. It’s rare to see a man over 300 lbs reach for a defender, make solid contact, swing his lower body around and drive with his legs.

DeCastro displays great athleticism when he pulls on run plays. A decent guard will be able to pull and make good contact on the outside defender and push him toward the sideline (called a “kick-out” block). A very good guard will be able to pull, turn up field and make a block on a moving target. DeCastro can pull, turn up field, make initial contact on a defender coming from back inside of the play, swing his lower body around, and drive the defender back toward the middle of the field … all while keeping near perfect mechanics. It’s not rare to see a guard make this type of play, but it’s very rare to see a guard make this type of play several times a game and in every game of the season.

In pass protection, DeCastro is very good at keeping his form so that his body stays evenly between the defender and the quarterback. His footwork is quick enough to keep him in front of defenders who try to speed rush around him. He’s strong enough to withstand bull-rushers.

Watching DeCastro play, it quickly becomes obvious he fully understands his duties as a blocker. Good linemen identify their man and make their blocks. What David DeCastro does time and again is to identify the greatest threat in his area and make the block (the greatest threat not necessarily being the man he’s assigned to block on the given play). This becomes important when there is a blitz, when he pulls, screens, when the defense runs stunts and other plays where defenders are moving in open space. How many times have we seen a blocker (lineman, tight end, or fullback) run past a defender in order to block “their man”, only to see the defender they passed by make the tackle? Does Clay Matthews causing a fumble in Super Bowl XLV ring a bell? DeCastro has the ability to quickly assess the evolving play, determine the defender presenting the most pressing threat and does not pass up the opportunity to make that block.

As if being mechanically sound, athletic, strong and possessing excellent football sense isn’t enough, DeCastro also has a non-stop motor. When the defender he blocks goes to the turf, he immediately zeroes in on the next defender. He maintains his block until the whistle and often can be seen engaging defenders several yards down field.

The one area this guard will have to work on is not allowing pass-rushers from getting their hands under his shoulder pads, pushing him up off his base and getting his momentum going backwards. Although he allowed very few sacks at Stanford, he occasionally was pushed backwards into the pocket, causing disruption for the quarterback. He got away with this flaw in college, but when facing much better competition in the NFL it could become a problem. Line Coach Sean Kugler will, undoubtedly, work on DeCastro’s technique and core strength to improve this area prior to the season.

With all the praise we can heap on this draftee, he is a rookie this year. It would be unfair to expect him to play like Pouncey did as a rookie or like Faneca in his prime. This year, defenders will use strength, speed and confusion that DeCastro had not seen in his college career, with the occasional result of lost yards.

In time, experience will enhance the assets he brings to the Steelers and it will be obvious the Steelers got the best deal of this draft.

In the recent past, Art Rooney II suggested the Steelers need to be able to run more effectively. With the addition of David DeCastro, they finally took the first, serious step toward that goal.

© Steelers Xtreme 2012
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary)   A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:21 pm

Excellent write-up, KR! Very informative and dissects the player thoroughly. It's good to hear about these guys and their strengths as I'm not a follower of college ball and I have no real idea what these guys are all about.

I can't tell you how excited I am about having this guy on board and even more so now that I've read your article. I'm jacked for the season to start and for DeCastro to start mowing defenders down and opening massive holes for our run game to be resurrected. Let's line 'em up now! A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) 3056903510 A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) 792589548 A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) 348340646 A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) 2287965686 A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) 1948569602

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary)   A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks Buddha! It was fun watching the game film on this one as DeCastro really is exceptional.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary)   A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:51 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Thanks Buddha! It was fun watching the game film on this one as DeCastro really is exceptional.

I can't wait to see him bulldozing defensive linemen for us. It's been a long time since I've seen our o-line get a consistent push up front.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary)   A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 3:58 pm

What's for breakfast David?

"How bout some PANCAKES?" A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) 1647293567

Good stuff. I'm like Buddha in that I don't watch much college ball but I believe every work you say and can't wait to see this young man blossom. Man what a change this will be by probably mid season with him, Adams and Pouncey. I'm just talking about the youth movement.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary)   A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Fantastic commentary, KR. A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) 1647293567

I appreciate all the hard work you put into these. A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) 230572241

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary)   A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyFri May 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Absolutely flawless commentary KR! Your doing an extraordinary job with these, keep it up big dog!

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary)   A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyWed May 09, 2012 1:25 am

Just read this again. I love your analysis, KR. I can't wait to see your take on Adams.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary)   A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary) Empty

Back to top Go down

A Closer Look at the Steelers New Recruits - Part I – David DeCastro (Xtreme Commentary)
Page 1 of 1