Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTalkin' Safeties: Much Remains the Same Among Steelers' Deep Secondary Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Talkin' Safeties: Much Remains the Same Among Steelers' Deep Secondary

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fer69

fer69

Talkin' Safeties: Much Remains the Same Among Steelers' Deep Secondary Empty
PostSubject: Talkin' Safeties: Much Remains the Same Among Steelers' Deep Secondary   Talkin' Safeties: Much Remains the Same Among Steelers' Deep Secondary EmptyMon May 14, 2012 5:46 pm

by Neal Coolong on May 14, 2012 12:00 PM EDT

While the rest of the Steelers' defense has gotten younger over the past two seasons, the safeties have remained the same. SS Troy Polamalu, FS Ryan Clark and FS/SS Ryan Mundy will still be the Steelers' three-deep come 2012, and it's hard to take exception to that.

The backend anchor to the league's top passing defense, the unit may not have forced many turnovers (four interceptions between the three of them) but by and large prevented big plays, and helped keep opponents off the scoreboard.

The challenge in 2012 will come in the form of much better quarterbacks on the schedule.

Was the Steelers' secondary improved from 2010 to 2011?
This isn't at all scientific, but it just never felt like it was better, despite being statistically on par in many areas. The complete lack of turnovers was bordering on historic lows, and Polamalu is usually the guy forcing those. It wasn't the 2010 Defensive Player of the Year's best all around season, but it was still effective enough for a 12-4 record and a playoff spot.

Notice how I still haven't answered the question? It's hard to say, but one thing is for sure, they gave up fewer big plays (34 plays of 20+ yards, and three of 40+, compared to 35 and 7 in 2010). That's largely on the safeties.

Was it a mistake to not address either position in the draft?

As it usually is, time will tell. We won't know if any safety in a position for the Steelers to have selected will be worth anything. Odds are someone will produce above the level at which he was taken, and the Hindsight Is 20/20 Cops will be all over the Steelers. As it is, the safety position is solid in Pittsburgh. Like every position on every team, it always helps to have guys to develop, but you aren't able to do that at every position, so they'll have to wait another year.

Knowing Clark will be out for Week 1 at Denver, is there a concern of dropping the second consecutive season opener?
While the Steelers always would have had the possibility (eventuality) of playing in Denver, therefore, being without Ryan Clark, the playoff game last year wasn't even close to the amount of time they now have to prepare for it. It's still a difficult transition, but at the very least, Mundy will enter training camp knowing he's going to have to start; a tough enough task, made even moreso by the presence of Broncos QB Peyton Manning.

Even with Clark, the Steelers will have their hands full in the opener. Denver is a very tough defensive team and winning there is never an easy thing to do. But just like the military, it's Next Man Up in Pittsburgh. Mundy will have to produce.

Will Polamalu remain healthy?
It's almost a given now he's going to get nicked up in one way or another. Lends even more weight to the depth concerns, and how all three of them - Polamalu, Clark and Mundy - can make arguments of being the team's MVP. If any one of them go down for a substantial period of time, it will be interesting to see how the Steelers handle it.

I mentioned the possibility of using rookie LB Sean Spence in a nickel or dime safety role, and while that obviously remains to be seen, it doesn't appear the Steelers have another option that's any more valid than that idea.

(read more)http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/14/3019140/talkin-safeties-much-remains-the-same-among-steelers-deep-secondary

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Talkin' Safeties: Much Remains the Same Among Steelers' Deep Secondary   Talkin' Safeties: Much Remains the Same Among Steelers' Deep Secondary EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:43 am

I thought when they drafted Spence that he might be able to play both ILB and be a backup at Safety just in case. That will depend on how fast he can learn the defense.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Talkin' Safeties: Much Remains the Same Among Steelers' Deep Secondary   Talkin' Safeties: Much Remains the Same Among Steelers' Deep Secondary EmptyTue May 15, 2012 4:24 pm

solardave wrote:
I thought when they drafted Spence that he might be able to play both ILB and be a backup at Safety just in case. That will depend on how fast he can learn the defense.

I don't imagine he will be much of a factor anytime this season considering the history of Steelers defensive rookies needing time to learn the intricacies of LeBeau's schemes. I hope I'm wrong, but it's unlikely he can make an impact this year other than on special teams.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talkin' Safeties: Much Remains the Same Among Steelers' Deep Secondary   Talkin' Safeties: Much Remains the Same Among Steelers' Deep Secondary Empty

Back to top Go down

Talkin' Safeties: Much Remains the Same Among Steelers' Deep Secondary
Page 1 of 1