Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteeler fans blinded by success.... Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steeler fans blinded by success....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Steeler fans blinded by success.... Empty
PostSubject: Steeler fans blinded by success....   Steeler fans blinded by success.... EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 3:34 pm

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/10/13/3496182/winged-glory

Steelers fans have become blinded by success

By Billy52 on Oct 13, 11:03a

"A slave stood behind the conqueror, holding a golden crown, and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting." (George C. Scott's final line from the movie "Patton")

Those of us old enough to remember the pre-Bradshaw Steelers can recall a time when Pittsburgh football fans were practically giddy when the home team managed to post a .500 season record. I'll never forget the many times we trudged disgustedly out of old Pitt Stadium, that concrete monument to pro football futility and arguably one of the coldest places in the universe in December.

One game in particular sticks in my mind as the epitome of the pre-1970 Steelers. The Black and Gold were hosting Dandy Don Meredith and the hated Cowboys. Amazingly, led by QB Bill Nelsen, the Steelers had built a 17 point lead, giving the Steeler faithful a delicious but fleeting illusion of payback--right up until that fateful 4th quarter. It has been far too many years for me to remember the sequence of events, but the Steelers completely tanked on both sides of the ball and Dandy Don brought the Cowboys roaring back with three unanswered TDs to steal the victory. As the throng marched glumly out of the stadium, I still hear those familiar words on the lips of nearly everyone: "Same old Steelers!"

In those pre-Nation days, Steeler fans fully expected the home team to find some way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. This was the forerunner of Bungle Nation, where loyal fans would keep saying "wait until next year," knowing full well that the team ultimately would smash their visions of glory. In the words of Dean Vernon Wormer in Animal House, the team was more than just a little below par--we stunk! Every spring, green rookies (later to be inducted into the Hall of Fame) were dispatched from the Burgh to other teams. Every fall, Jimmy Brown and Paul Hornung would tap dance on our LBs faces.

But these days we've become intoxicated with success. With six Lombardi trophies encased at the front office, Steeler Nation no longer merely hopes to win--we demand it. And when the team falters as it has done so far this season, the villagers become an unruly mob screaming for the heads of every player, coach and water boy in Rooneyville. "This shall not stand," we bray in unison as we light our torches, bidding to hasten a swift return to our previous state of beer- and glory-sated bliss.

But only by languishing in the eternal present of Madison Avenue promises can such lofty expectations be sustained for long. The historical perspective informs that fortune remains forever as fickle as your college girlfriend. For the most part, human existence plays out somewhere in the misty netherland between glory and despair. All the more reason then for Steeler Nation to rejoice in the Black and Gold's incredible run of success during the past four decades. All the more reason to revel in the nation that Rooney built and the camaraderie of Steeler fans across the country and around the world.

But today the bodily humours have found their natural equilibrium and Isaac Redman has been exposed as a mere mortal. Suddenly, the redoubtable Mike Tomlin has morphed into Barney Fife and Ike Taylor resembles Willie Gay the Younger. And the big question on every fan's lips today? "Is there any team in the NFL these guys can beat?"

But before we torch the village and plow deeply with salt the soil, maybe we need to get a grip and undertand that we're witnessing the inevitable process of change whereby a not-so-good football team is forged by fire into a champion. Might it be that, back in those heady times of glory when we donned our golden crown and drank from the victor's cup, our ears fell deaf to a gentle and urgent whisper?

Thought this was a pretty good read....

Steeler fans blinded by success.... We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Butch
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steeler fans blinded by success....   Steeler fans blinded by success.... EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 am

This is a good read, and yes we are spoiled Steelers fans. Have been since '75, of course that was also enduring the 80's when my victories were measured in beating the likes of the niners when we were the only team to beat them or winning a single playoff game when Hodge had a pretty good day running the ball.

Now I'm not as far back as those who endured painful decade upon painful decade, (I was not born in the Burgh), but I have had a small taste of the lack of success. I have also had to endure the epic failures of Coach Cowher in the playoffs. I will give Cowher much credit though he was always able to field a competitive team despite the revolving door of key players leaving the team for greener paychecks. I was happy that he finally got that elusive ring before he left.

If Tomlin can't get this thing turned around then I fear we will be doomed to lose another Golden oppertunity while Ben is entering his prime!!! I think we all know how the Rooney's work, Tomlin will have a very long leash and that in itself could end up biting us in the ass. I hope not, but lets see if he can clear this hill before it becomes a mountain. IMHO so far he's been riding on easy street riding the team that Bill built, but a lot of those players are leaving the team or have already left and now all eyes are on Mike. He has a lot of snazzy sayings but we all know Actions speak louder than words. I'm hoping Mike can do it, I guess us Spoiled Steeler fans will find out in the near future just what Mike is made of. Good Luck Coach!!!
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steeler fans blinded by success....   Steeler fans blinded by success.... EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 10:40 am

There's no doubt that we are spoiled by the success of the Steelers. And we certainly have become accustom to winning...A LOT!

It seems that periodically we are set to endure seasons such as this. Whether it be due to injury, lack of execution, and/or coaching errors.

However, one thing I'm not accustom to is what seems like an apparent lack of concern on the players. Yes they are owning up to the losses, but they don't seem set on fixing the mistakes.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steeler fans blinded by success.... 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steeler fans blinded by success....   Steeler fans blinded by success.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Steeler fans blinded by success....
Page 1 of 1