Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeEarly Pouncey Return Possible for Steelers Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Early Pouncey Return Possible for Steelers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

Early Pouncey Return Possible for Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Early Pouncey Return Possible for Steelers   Early Pouncey Return Possible for Steelers EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 5:21 am

The injury news never ends, but Thursday the Steelers received some good news when Maurkice Pouncey returned to practice. He hopes to be able to help the patchwork offensive line Sunday night.

PITTSBURGH – Ben Roethlisberger slipped on his plant foot while dropping back to pass during Thursday’s practice and he later left the field with a sore ankle.

Roethlisberger’s expected to be fine for Sunday night’s game in Cincinnati, so the more significant injury news for the Steelers yesterday was the team’s backup center.

Maurkice Pouncey returned from a sprained MCL to take some reps with the first team on Thursday. And he moved well enough to put himself into serious consideration for Sunday’s game.

“I hope,” said Pouncey when asked if he would rise up the depth chart and resume his place as the starter Sunday.

“But I can’t play if I can’t start,” he said with a laugh.

Pouncey’s return would not only provide stability to a line that’ll include rookie right tackle Mike Adams in his first career start, but would give a necessary bump to the overall numbers.

Counting the injured-and-out Marcus Gilbert and the questionable Pouncey, the Steelers have only eight offensive linemen on the roster. So if Pouncey can’t play, the No. 1 backup would be rookie 7-d draft pick Kelvin Beachum, a small tackle whose future is most likely inside at guard.

The next backup would likely become John Malecki, the former Pitt right guard who’s been part of the Steelers’ practice squad the past two seasons. If Malecki’s to become activated from the practice squad, it would most likely occur Saturday.

“He was a journeyman but now he’s damn important,” said right guard Ramon Foster. “He’s worked his butt off. I commend him. This is a place of opportunity, and I think if he’s activated he’ll be good.”

Foster is also excited about what awaits Adams, the second-round pick from Ohio State.

“I think he’s ready,” Foster said. “He’s taking this week a lot more seriously than he has in the past when he’s been a backup. He’s been on his details and asking a LOT of questions. Our communication’s gotten good. I think, actually, he’ll have a really good game.”

Foster would know. He played next to Gilbert last season when the then-rookie went through his NFL baptism.

“I’ve been telling Mike all week ‘if we do this, you’ve got to do that,’ just communicating with him like I did with Gilbert in his rookie year,” Foster said. “Communication’s going to be big. It’s going to be loud there, a late night game. He’s going back to Ohio where he played in college. I’ve got to keep him focused and I will.”

Of course, if Pouncey can’t play center, veteran backup Doug Legursky will. The left side remains intact with Max Starks and Willie Colon at tackle and guard, respectively.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1231388.html

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Early Pouncey Return Possible for Steelers   Early Pouncey Return Possible for Steelers EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 4:19 pm

No!!!!!!!! If he's not 150% healthy don't play him

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Early Pouncey Return Possible for Steelers   Early Pouncey Return Possible for Steelers EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 4:23 pm

fer69 wrote:
No!!!!!!!! If he's not 150% healthy don't play him

Agreed. Legursky played well in his absence and we need to start getting these guys truly healthy before fielding them again. They'll be of no use to us when it matters most if they come back early and re-injure themselves for a much longer period of time or worse, for the season.

I know a lot of fans are in panic mode right now with the way the team's played thus far, but with the Ravens having just been butt-slammed with injuries, the Bengals beginning to struggle a little, and the rest of the AFC playing "meh", we don't need to make drastic moves that will hurt us in the long run. Still a lot of football to be played. Just remember the Bills' 5-0 start last year and the mediocre regular season of the Giants. How did they turn out?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Early Pouncey Return Possible for Steelers   Early Pouncey Return Possible for Steelers Empty

Back to top Go down

Early Pouncey Return Possible for Steelers
Page 1 of 1