Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking   Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking

Go down 
+2
stlrtruck
Galax Steeler
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking   Empty
PostSubject: Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking    Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking   EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 4:17 am

The Steelers’ 2008 defense was a great one by any measure — wins, statistics, playoff success, intimidation factor.

Last year’s defense was statistically dominant, too, at least until Tim Tebow improbably ruined their 12-4 season.

As the halfway point of their 2012 season approaches, the Steelers (4-3) aren’t ready to argue that this defense belongs in the class of those statistically dominant units. For good reason, too.

Troy Polamalu has been seen only briefly since the season opener. James Harrison still isn’t James Harrison. The sacks (only 12 so far) and the turnovers (only one per game) aren’t piling up. The memories of the failed fourth quarters in Oakland and Tennessee and Denver remain vivid.

“We’re not patting ourselves on the back,” defensive end Brett Keisel said.

But glance at the NFL statistics, and the Steelers are in familiar territory. For all of their deficiencies, for all that has gone wrong while dropping three of four on the road, they are the league’s No. 2 defense.

“Dick LeBeau’s resume speaks for itself,” cornerback Ike Taylor said, referring to the defensive coordinator who always seems to find a way to make his defense work.

In their past two games — wins over the Bengals and Redskins — the Steelers gave up a total of 440 yards (about 600 fewer than the Saints). It’s a very Steelers-like number, even if it occurred during an uncharacteristic season; this will be the first time under coach Mike Tomlin they will hit midseason without being 6-2.

“We’re going out now and playing disciplined and playing the way we know how to play,” outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley said after the Steelers shut down Washington wunderkind Robert Griffin III. “We went out and played our game. We weren’t worried about who was playing at quarterback.”

What’s missing — besides Polamalu, of course — are the game-changing big plays, the make-you-shudder hits that can change the course of a game. That’s why Harrison said it’s much too soon to use the word “dominant” to describe this defense.

“I feel like we’re headed in the right direction, but we’re still not where we want to be,” he said.

Despite limiting Griffin to 8 yards rushing and a 47 percent pass completion percentage (he came in averaging 70.4 percent), the Steelers benefitted from seven dropped passes. Cornerback Keenan Lewis, playing his best game of the season, knocked away two passes in the end zone that could have gone for touchdowns.

Harrison and linebacker Lawrence Timmons both appeared to be susceptible to play-action fakes, something Giants quarterback Eli Manning might look to exploit Sunday.

“For the most part we played our defense and executed reasonably well, but there are still things that can be corrected,” Harrison said. “We’re not perfect by any means. There were plays we could have done better on.”

The Giants (6-2), winners of five in a row, and Manning should provide a better indicator of where this Steelers defense is.

New York won its past two games despite allowing 914 yards to the Redskins and Cowboys, in part because Manning bailed them out in the fourth quarter both times.

Now the Steelers can only guess what beating the Super Bowl champions in their stadium would mean to their season. They trailed the Ravens (5-2) by 21⁄2 games in the AFC North only 10 days ago, but they’ve cut that to a single game.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2855682-85/steelers-defense-game-harrison-season-playing-defensive-dominant-games-manning#ixzz2AlhGixdB
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking    Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking   EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:24 am

The NFL isn't about those destructive hits we're use to seeing our defense put out there. Even Harrison said it himself, he's holding up on certain plays to avoid penalties and fines.

Der Kommish has changed the game, making it more passive and less violent than a 4 year old learning to ride a bike. He doesn't want more than a skinned knees and elbows on players. And yet the game dictates that violence is in the true nature of the game.

I believe that our defense will return to form, it's just going to take them some time as new players understand their roles and begin to push (if not take over) for the #1 spots.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking   3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Kornbread

Kornbread

PostSubject: Re: Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking    Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking   EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 10:37 am

stlrtruck wrote:
The NFL isn't about those destructive hits we're use to seeing our defense put out there. Even Harrison said it himself, he's holding up on certain plays to avoid penalties and fines.

Der Kommish has changed the game, making it more passive and less violent than a 4 year old learning to ride a bike. He doesn't want more than a skinned knees and elbows on players. And yet the game dictates that violence is in the true nature of the game.

I agree with this and it is a good point. The scary part of being fined would make you lay off the hits and I think it is hindering the game of football we all came to love. They need to reconsider the way they look at fines and regulations. For example, How do you keep a 6' 5" 270 lbs man at full speed to keep from hitting in 2 steps? He may bleed off some speed but he can's get stopped. The helmet to helmet: it appears a lot of these calls are not intentional. Duh Komish is messing this game up and will have player wrapped in bubble wrap before he is done. I wish he would seek different employment elsewhere!
Back to top Go down
BossAus
Xtreme Newb
BossAus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking    Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking   EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 10:18 pm

I do think we have looked much improved the past two weeks, but I'm still concerned about the lack of turnovers produced. I know the saying "they come in bunches", but with how few we got last year combined with this year, we have to be getting some soon right? We have never been a team that gets a lot of interceptions with Troy out, but I would hope we would get some more forced fumbles with Harrison and Woodley in the lineup.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking    Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking   EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 am

BossAus wrote:
I do think we have looked much improved the past two weeks, but I'm still concerned about the lack of turnovers produced. I know the saying "they come in bunches", but with how few we got last year combined with this year, we have to be getting some soon right? We have never been a team that gets a lot of interceptions with Troy out, but I would hope we would get some more forced fumbles with Harrison and Woodley in the lineup.

First, welcome to SX, Boss! Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking   230572241

Second, I hope you're right about the turnovers. We've been underperforming in that defensive category for some time now for whatever reason. A lot of it has to do with how our secondary plays off the receivers to prevent the big plays and keep everything in front of them. Not going to get a lot of INTs when you're playing 5-10 yards off the WRs unless there are some horrendous throws. That's not to mention Ike's stone hands or Troy's injury issues. Troy has long been our most reliable player for coming up with the picks.

I think the biggest problem as far as fumbles is that we've been unable to keep both Harrison and Woodley healthy at the same time. When those two are 100% healthy and at the top of their respective games, they can go on tears and feed off each other. They are like two great white sharks smelling blood in the water. We haven't seen the two of them like that in over a year due to repeated injuries and recoveries. I'm worried we may not see that again from these two.

Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking    Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking   EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 1:41 pm

The secondary better show up this weekend or eli's gonna kill us and I doubt that there will be a dozen dropped pass's this time either.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking    Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking   Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers’ defense out to build on lofty ranking
Page 1 of 1