Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeChanges on illegal tackles irk Steelers Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers   Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers EmptyThu May 26, 2011 1:12 am

Thursday, May 26, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Another NFL rule, another named in honor of the Steelers, although the team president does not embrace the reference.

For a team associated with the Rooney Rule, the Hines Ward Rule and rules aimed at neutering the 1970s Steel Curtain, add one that some members of the media have dubbed "The Steelers Rule."

The rule, which really is not yet a rule, includes possible fines and the docking of draft choices if a team's players ring up enough infractions. And it was coupled with actual new rules passed by the league owners Tuesday that widened the description of illegal tackles the Steelers so loudly fought against last season.

"I'm not sure I like it being referred to as The Steelers Rule," Art Rooney II said Wednesday. "It's a policy the commissioner is still considering and has not put into effect yet but he intends to put it into effect."

Rooney raised concerns last fall that the NFL might go too far when it started its crackdown with fines and threatened suspensions in October. He took a conservative approach to the latest move for punishing teams.

"I would hope it's something used on rare occasions and only in exceptional situations. I think our rules are adequate and I think everyone is trying to adjust here."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11146/1149244-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1NQsBms1R

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers   Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers EmptyThu May 26, 2011 1:14 am

We are getting closer and closer to have them wearing skirts.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers   Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers EmptyThu May 26, 2011 1:27 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
We are getting closer and closer to have them wearing skirts.
Aside from the obvious sissification of the league, I don't like the subjective way the rule seems to be set up. In order to have a fair system of punishment, you need clearly defined rules and clearly defined punishments.

Unless I'm not understanding it correctly, it seems the league can possibly decide to take away draft picks when they feel like it. Gee, I wonder who's going to get screwed here, and who isn't?

Here's a quote from NFL vice president Adolpho Birch:

Quote :
"We're looking at a system similar to one we instituted a couple years ago with off-field conduct."

Uh, yeah ... OK. We saw how fair THAT was. Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers 1505004552

Wait, is his name really Adolpho? How appropriate. Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers 3798349058

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers   Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers Empty

Back to top Go down

Changes on illegal tackles irk Steelers
Page 1 of 1