Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTroy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful

Go down 
+7
effyou515
stlrtruck
Buddha Bus
Gingerchip
Kornbread
Wallace108
fer69
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fer69

fer69

Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful Empty
PostSubject: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Posted by Josh Alper on November 23, 2012, 4:28 PM EST

AP
There was a surprise change to the Steelers practice report on Friday.

Safety Troy Polamalu, who has not been on the field since aggravating a calf injury in Week Four,
took part in practice in a limited fashion. Polamalu has only played in five quarters this season,
but Friday’s development suggests he’ll be able to add to that total before the end of the regular season.
It’s unlikely that he’ll be adding to them against the Browns this weekend as Polamalu is listed as doubtful for the game,
but that didn’t stop his teammates from feeling good about the change in status.

“It was a Thanksgiving-Christmas gift to see him out there,” safety Will Allen said, via the Associated Press.

Wide receiver Antonio Brown was also a limited participant on Friday and earned a questionable designation for this week’s game.
Brown has missed the last two games with a sprained ankle, but he was able to practice a little bit every day this week so he might
be able to get back on the field. Jerricho Cotchery has already been ruled out and Plaxico Burress could start his second stint with the team.

Encouraging news for two key Steelers, although we’ll have to wait until closer to kickoff before we know if it translates to the field.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/23/troy-polamalu-practices-listed-as-doubtful/

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Steelers Notebook: Troy Polamalu back on the practice field   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Will Allen called it a "Thanksgiving-Christmas gift" to see All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu back practicing with the Steelers.

Don't get too excited, though. It would take a Christmas miracle for Polamalu to play Sunday in Cleveland.

Polamalu practiced in a limited capacity Friday and is considered doubtful to play against the Browns. But the fact he was even able to suit up and participate in even some drills was an encouraging sign considering he hadn't played or practiced since leaving a win over the Philadelphia Eagles in the first quarter on Oct. 7. In that game, he re-aggravated a strained right calf that has bothered him since the start of the season.

"It's always good to have your guys back, and it's exciting for him -- it's been a long struggle in order to get back," FS Ryan Clark said. "And we want him to play. We want to have him out there. We know what he brings to the team, both physically and emotionally.

"We know what kind of lift he can give if he's out there, but we don't want him out there if he's not healthy. You don't want another opportunity to re-injure himself and be on the shelf for the stretch run. So if it took practicing today and getting out next week and practicing a little bit more, then that's what it's going to take."

Polamalu, who did not speak with reporters after practice, has only played in the season opener in Denver and the brief cameo vs. the Eagles.

Even without Polamalu, the Steelers have ascended to No. 1 ranking in total defense and passing defense.

What Brown can do for the Steelers: WR Antonio Brown was encouraged and feeling good after making it through a third consecutive practice Friday. Although all three days of practice participation this week for Brown were on a limited basis, Brown is officially listed as questionable to play against Cleveland Sunday.

Redman ready: Five days after sustaining a concussion in a loss to the Baltimore Ravens, RB Isaac Redman declared himself "good to go" for the Browns game.

Redman, who practiced fully and without incident all week, said he has passed all of his concussion tests and will play Sunday.

The Steelers have yet to make it through a full game this season with the services of each of their top three running backs. RBs Rashard Mendenhall and Jonathan Dwyer also are healthy and ready to play vs. the Browns.

Colon added to injury list: G Willie Colon was a surprise addition to the injury report. But Colon shrugged off the knee ailment after practice, indicated it was just a "day off" and left no signs there is any change he won't play Sunday.

Other injury news: DE Ziggy Hood's status gradually improved throughout the week -- from not practicing Wednesday to being limited Thursday to fully practicing Friday. He is probable to play Sunday despite sustaining a back injury last week against the Ravens.

S Will Allen (shoulder) and LB Stevenson Sylvester (hamstring) also are considered probable.

As expected, QB Ben Roethlisberger, QB Byron Leftwich, RT Marcus Gilbert and WR Jerricho Cotchery were ruled out for the Browns game

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21107778/steelers-notebook-troy-polamalu-back-on-the-practice-field

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm not so sure I'd want to mess with the chemistry of the secondary right now even if Troy was ready to go, which we know he isn't. But how do you NOT put him in when he's healthy? I never thought I'd be saying that we might be better without Troy, but I guess that's what I'm saying. He might be able to come back healthy, but he's not going to come back younger.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Kornbread

Kornbread

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 10:52 pm

I hate to say this but I'm so use to not seeing him now that I don't miss him. I think he ought to call this season a wash and get 100% and perhaps we will get one more good season out of him.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

On 12/02/2012 the Steelers beat the Ravens with their 3rd string QB! Charlie Batch! AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 3:59 am

Et tu brute?

I was reading posts over at Steelers Fever and was shocked by the "get rid of Troy" posts. Yes, we are doing fine without him but I still think we are better with him.

But then again, I hold onto "old" players like a worn out security blanket.

Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 8:00 am

Gingerchip wrote:
Et tu brute?

I was reading posts over at Steelers Fever and was shocked by the "get rid of Troy" posts. Yes, we are doing fine without him but I still think we are better with him.

But then again, I hold onto "old" players like a worn out security blanket.

I agree with you, Ginger. All of the people who are calling for us to get rid of him are insane. One guy over there even suggested we throw him in the garbage! Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful 294855916

Troy has been one of the greatest Steelers of all-time. He could be chiseled into their Mount Rushmore alongside other Steeler greats of the past like Greene, Lambert, Bradshaw, Franco, Blount, etc. To disrespect him like that is a slap in the face to everything he's meant to this team in his time here. There will never be another Troy much like there will never be another Hines.

I'm just as frustrated by his injuries as the next guy, but it's because I want him back out there terrorizing opposing offenses again, not sitting on the bench in sweats. I know he's nearing the end of his playing days, but he still has some game left in him. Unfortunately, his body has not been cooperating with his mind and skills.

I agree with some of the sentiments that I've read that maybe LeBeau needs to find a new way to use Troy that gives him more structure and curtails some of his freelancing. He has lost a step and his body can't seem to take the "Flyin' Hawaiian" routine anymore. He cannot continue to throw his body around the field like he has in the past. I'd like to see him stay back in pass protection a little more and let Clark be the missile to help out in the run game. He's already doing that now anyway. Let Troy be more of a ball hawk and help out the corners.

Make no mistake, Troy will make this defense better once he returns healthy. Anyone who believes we should just throw him away is out to lunch.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 9:56 am

I'm sorry but to get rid of Troy would be one of the worse moves the Steelers FO could make right now.

I hated it when they let Woodson go. He had a lot of talent left and they let him walk. And what happened, he got his SB ring with the ratbirds - playing safety. Which is where the Steelers should have put him.

I hated the talk of letting Ward go too. They should have let him finish out one more year.

I honestly believe that there are players you can get rid of due to old age. But there are old players you need to keep, not necessarily because of what they do on the field, but because of what they bring to the locker room.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 10:33 am

Let him finish out his contract to much salary dead cap money if you let him go before that.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 10:08 pm

Quote :
I agree with some of the sentiments that I've read that maybe LeBeau needs to find a new way to use Troy that gives him more structure and curtails some of his freelancing.

Yeah, but I don't think Troy will ever "stay put". He plays the game as if his very life depended on it. I believe the man LOVES running all over the field and would probably be miserable if he couldn't do it. Who knows, though. Farrior played for us till age 36 (I think), and Troy is, what, 31? Farrior didn't get banged around as much as Troy, but Troy plays like there is no tomorrow (not to take anything away from Farrior, he was awesome and one of my favorite defensive players).

I don't understand some of the "fan's" mentality. I not saying that fans don't have a right to say that they believe a player's time has come --- I'm talking about blatant disrespect for these players that have taken Pittsburgh to the Superbowl and back. I really wonder if they are, indeed, true fans. I hope the "fan" that said to throw Troy in the garbage is either very young and stupid (no offense to all youngsters) or a bandwaggoner. I will always salute the players that give us their all on the field, winning season or not. Unfortunately, this type of talk reflects our culture -- not useful anymore? Hell, throw it away.

All I know is that I somewhat prepared myself for a less than stellar season this year. I don't know why, just a gut feeling I guess. And to be honest, there may possibly be quite a number of less than stellar seasons in the upcoming years (I hope not). I lived through the lean dry years and will live through them again if I have to to........but I will always support our players that have given their best. Ok.....I'll get off the soapbox now. Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful 3405992308

Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 7:09 am

I say when he is healthy he needs to be in the lineup. I know that Allen is doing a good job but we are talking about a all pro safety. He makes plays when we need them lets enjoy watching him in his last year or two because we will probably never see another like him.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 6:32 pm

I hope Troy is back next week. While our defense has been playing well over the last several weeks, it would be nice to give offenses something else to worry about - starting with flacco.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 1:53 am

I've given it a few games and I've seen nothing that makes me change my mind on this:

Wallace108 wrote:
I never thought I'd be saying that we might be better without Troy, but I guess that's what I'm saying. He might be able to come back healthy, but he's not going to come back younger.

Yeah, I know we've got injury issues with our cornerbacks and that's affecting the level of play in the secondary. But having young, inexperienced corners is even more reason to have a safety back there giving them help rather than playing near the line trying to disrupt plays, which, by the way, Troy hasn't been doing much of since he's been back. And is it just me, or does it seem that even Clark's play has dropped off a lot since Troy came back?

Troy will always be one of my favorite players of all time, but I think it's over. Right now, I honestly believe he hurts our secondary more than he helps it. I'd love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong and start tearing it up, but I'd be surprised if he does.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 4:30 am

Wallace108 wrote:
I've given it a few games and I've seen nothing that makes me change my mind on this:

Wallace108 wrote:
I never thought I'd be saying that we might be better without Troy, but I guess that's what I'm saying. He might be able to come back healthy, but he's not going to come back younger.

Yeah, I know we've got injury issues with our cornerbacks and that's affecting the level of play in the secondary. But having young, inexperienced corners is even more reason to have a safety back there giving them help rather than playing near the line trying to disrupt plays, which, by the way, Troy hasn't been doing much of since he's been back. And is it just me, or does it seem that even Clark's play has dropped off a lot since Troy came back?

Troy will always be one of my favorite players of all time, but I think it's over. Right now, I honestly believe he hurts our secondary more than he helps it. I'd love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong and start tearing it up, but I'd be surprised if he does.

Yea his play seems to have dropped off alot this year. I don't know if he still isn't at full health or what but Troy don't seem to be as fast as what he generally is. I have noticed he has missed alot of tackles that he makes more times then not. I am not sure what is wrong with Troy at this point but he ain't the Troy I used to know.

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 5:31 am

I'm not even going to criticize Troy until the secondary around him is back to normal. It's not fair.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 am

bayz101 wrote:
I'm not even going to criticize Troy until the secondary around him is back to normal. It's not fair.
That's a valid point in terms of how the secondary is performing overall. But like I said, with young and inexperienced cornerbacks, wouldn't it be better to have some safety help for them rather than having Troy playing so much up near the line? They're trying to use him like they always have, and since he's been back, I don't recall him making one big play like we're used to seeing him make. Like Galax said, I'm not sure if it's because of age or not being 100 percent, but he's been totally noneffective in disrupting plays at the line, so wouldn't it be better to have him playing back and helping the corners? And if he's unable to do that, I think we'd better off having Allen in there.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 7:54 am

Quote :
Week 15 Observations: Where's Polamalu?

By Mike Bires

Zero. Zero. Zero.

That is what the Steelers have gotten from Troy Polamalu this season in terms of interceptions, sacks and forced fumbles.

This is not meant as a criticism of the long-haired Tasmanian devil of a safety. He’s only played four full games and one quarter of another due to injuries. While he has played in three straight games, it’s not known how much his leg is still bothering him.

Sunday in Dallas, Polamalu seemed to be more active than in any game he’s played this year. But he’s yet to make a game-changing play like he’s done so often during his remarkable career.

It certainly doesn’t help he’s hardly practiced the past few weeks. Because the Steelers don’t want him to aggravate his injured calf muscles, Polamalu hasn’t practiced on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

It’s hard to fathom that in the four full games Polamalu has played, the Steelers have only won one of them.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/week-observations-where-s-polamalu/article_871ec514-1f1b-5743-9687-f09f1a64b261.html

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 8:30 am

I don't think we're going to see a game changing play out of him this year.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 10:12 pm

Troy Polamalu's play is at it's best when a competent secondary, led by Clark, gives him free-reign to read the offense. With a secondary full of young, inexperienced rookies and practice-squad scrubs behind him, Troy is forced to do SEVERAL things at once. He's staying off of the line a little more than usual in case he's needed in the secondary (which is often) and all of these factors, including coming off an injury, should be taken into thought before criticizing him too much.

I think that once he gets a game in with the ACTUAL starting secondary, we'll see a big difference in his play, and probably some HUGE splash plays. He's NOT done, it's NOT over. If he stays healthy, he'll be a starter on our defense for a few years to come. I'm not one of those people that "hold on too long", I just see no reason to believe he CAN'T perform at a high level. Give the man time. Ben's been back for a couple games and he's STILL not throwing great.

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 8:54 am

Man Troy needs to check into an old folks home. He gave his body up too much early in his career. He should get a new job as a shampoo salesman.
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 9:52 am

cold-hard-steel wrote:
Man Troy needs to check into an old folks home. He gave his body up too much early in his career. He should get a new job as a shampoo salesman.

Lmao Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 10:34 am

Welcome to the board cold hard steel hope u enjoy the board if u have any questions just ask.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Quote :
Prisco: Polamalu Not Playing Well

PITTSBURGH (KDKA 93-7 THE FAN) — Bob Pompeani visited with CBSSports.com NFL columnist Pete Prisco before the Bengals game.

Prisco told Pompeani that Troy Polamalu is not playing well right now, and appears heavy and slow.

Prisco gave Dick LeBeau a lot of credit for the way that the defense is playing despite the injuries and lack of depth at cornerback.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/12/22/prisco-polamalu-not-playing-well/

Yep. I still maintain that right now, our secondary is better with Allen instead of Troy. Of course, I'd love nothing more than for Troy to prove me wrong.

Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Quote :
Prisco: Polamalu Not Playing Well

PITTSBURGH (KDKA 93-7 THE FAN) — Bob Pompeani visited with CBSSports.com NFL columnist Pete Prisco before the Bengals game.

Prisco told Pompeani that Troy Polamalu is not playing well right now, and appears heavy and slow.

Prisco gave Dick LeBeau a lot of credit for the way that the defense is playing despite the injuries and lack of depth at cornerback.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/12/22/prisco-polamalu-not-playing-well/

Yep. I still maintain that right now, our secondary is better with Allen instead of Troy. Of course, I'd love nothing more than for Troy to prove me wrong.

Troy timing the snap count going over the line and strip sacking Dalton what a play that would be from Troy. Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful 2893009358

Bays

PostSubject: Prisco: Polamalu not playing well   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 12:49 am

He also warned Steelers fans to be concerned about the Bengals.

Click for audio: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/...-playing-well/

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 12:50 am

He's playing nickleback at times, and covering our younger corners asses almost constantly. When he DOES get some freedom, we end up getting burned without him in the back. Troy isn't even fully healthy yet himself, so it'll take him a little while to come back. Don't jump the gun.

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful   Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful Empty

Back to top Go down

Troy Polamalu practices, listed as doubtful
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next