Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWallace's days with Steelers could be over Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Wallace's days with Steelers could be over

Go down 
+2
Bays
Wallace108
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Wallace's days with Steelers could be over Empty
PostSubject: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over   Wallace's days with Steelers could be over EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:21 am

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In what might turn out to be a classic case of foreshadowing, the end of Mike Wallace's fourth season in the NFL could look strangely similar to his fifth -- with him not playing for the Steelers.

Wallace has been ruled out of Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns because of a hip/hamstring injury in the loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

That means the pass that was intended for him that was intercepted by Bengals safety Reggie Nelson with 14 seconds remaining might have been his last significant play for the Steelers.

This also will be the first game Wallace has missed in his four years with the Steelers.

"I didn't want to go out like that," Wallace said. "I really wanted to end on a high note. It's unfortunate."

Wallace played this season on a one-year contract worth $2.7 million after failing to agree on a contract extension with the Steelers in the offseason. He held out after the Steelers made the $2.7 million tender and missed all the offseason workouts and training camp.

He will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, meaning he is free to sign with another team

"I don't know, we'll see," Wallace said about the possibility of returning to the Steelers.

"I got big plans, no matter what the situation. I definitely got big plans for myself and my family. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully everything will go in a positive manner."

The Steelers were never confident they could sign Wallace to a contract extension because they believed he wanted too much money. And, after signing Antonio Brown to a six-year, $42.5 million contract when Wallace did not report to training camp, it is unlikely that will change now.

It also is unlikely the Steelers will use a franchise tag on Wallace because that means they would have to pay him between $10 million and $11 million next season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallaces-days-with-steelers-could-be-over-668227/#ixzz2GQ3kfgqC

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over   Wallace's days with Steelers could be over EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:30 am

Antonio Brown, after missing nearly 1/4 of the season, finished just behind Wallace in yards. The main statistic Wallace led Brown in was touchdowns, and you must factor is Brown's missed time coupled with the fact that Wallace is the first read in all red-zone situations, usually followed by Heath Miller or David Paulson. My point: Wallace turned down an offer similar to the one Brown ultimately received and accepted, and barely outperformed him at the seasons end.

In fact, Brown, with a big game, will finish the season with more yards the Wallace. Mike needed to prove himself worthy of the big bucks this season, and considering the #2 guy can finish ahead of him Sunday after missing a quarter of a season, he'll probably be looking at LESS money than the offers he received going into this season. I don't expect Wallace back next year. He's sitting out this week to prevent any kind of aggravation. Another business decision.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over   Wallace's days with Steelers could be over EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:47 am

There's really nothing I can say about Wallace that I haven't already said. And it doesn't matter at this point. The chances of him playing for the Steelers next season are slim and none. Even if the Steelers want to keep him, there's a team out there that will offer him more than the Steelers will be able and willing to pay. There's only 2 ways he stays:

1. No other team feels that he is worth the money it will take to sign him.
2. Playing for the Steelers means more to him than the money.

I don't see either of those scenarios happening, so it's hard to envision him returning next season.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over   Wallace's days with Steelers could be over EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 3:08 am

I think this is bad and a shame.

I still think this guy is a top receiver. I know I was hard on him in the beginning of the season, but I still think we need him.

I fear he ends up with the Pats*, and the Brady/Wallace combo will be unstoppable.

Didn't think I'd say this, but we need to draft a WR this season. Sanders, Cotch, and Brown -- that's the depth. And let's face it, these are the Steelers. Someone is inevitably going to be injured.

I am still hoping against hope that Wallace will return. I truly believe that in a few years, Wallace and Brown could have potentially been a Stallworth/Swann (ok, maybe not that good -- but close)

Too bad.

Wallace's days with Steelers could be over We_bel10
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over   Wallace's days with Steelers could be over EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 6:58 am

Let me line the cloud with the silver lining....

1. Wallace did not play near his potential what so ever. Therefore, I don't think many teams are going to be vying for his attention this off season.

2. The Steelers know what he is capable of producing on the field, and in years past they have signed veterans at the end of their contracts regardless of the last year's performance.

3. I believe we will see Wallace sign a 3-5 year deal for probably the same amount as Brown, maybe slightly more, and he'll be in a Steelers uniform making us all forget about this season.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Wallace's days with Steelers could be over 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over   Wallace's days with Steelers could be over EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:26 pm

I would love nothing more than to have Wallace back in a Steelers uniform, but if it's at the expense of a guy like Keenan Lewis, I wouldn't be happy with it.

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over   Wallace's days with Steelers could be over EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 1:37 pm

I think we have seen the last of Wallace, Bendandfall, Starks, Batch, Leftwich, Hampton, Foote, and possibly Harrison...

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over   Wallace's days with Steelers could be over EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 4:46 pm

bayz101 wrote:
I would love nothing more than to have Wallace back in a Steelers uniform, but if it's at the expense of a guy like Keenan Lewis, I wouldn't be happy with it.

This might surprise you, Bagz, but I actually agree with you on this. Keeping Wallace would be a luxury ... but he's not a priority. Keeping Lewis IS a priority. It's difficult for young players to immediately step into LeBeau's defense. We can't keep having turnover at cornerback. We need some stability. Ike is on the downside of his career. And with Troy and Clark aging, it won't be long before we have two young safeties back there. It would be nice to have Lewis and Allen anchoring the corners for the foreseeable future.

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over   Wallace's days with Steelers could be over EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

This might surprise you, Bagz, but I actually agree with you on this. Keeping Wallace would be a luxury ... but he's not a priority. Keeping Lewis IS a priority. It's difficult for young players to immediately step into LeBeau's defense. We can't keep having turnover at cornerback. We need some stability. Ike is on the downside of his career. And with Troy and Clark aging, it won't be long before we have two young safeties back there. It would be nice to have Lewis and Allen anchoring the corners for the foreseeable future.

Doesn't surprise me at all, actually. You're no homer. Check your signature. Wallace's days with Steelers could be over 1797695198

You've been unhappy with Wallace just like the rest of us.

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over   Wallace's days with Steelers could be over EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 7:50 am

Where would we be at now if we would have signed Wallace to a five year contract. Our salary cap would have been out of this world for next year.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over   Wallace's days with Steelers could be over EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 9:51 am

Galax Steeler wrote:
Where would we be at now if we would have signed Wallace to a five year contract. Our salary cap would have been out of this world for next year.
Not necessarily. It depends on how it was structured. They're not going to mortgage the future on one player, especially a receiver.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over   Wallace's days with Steelers could be over Empty

Back to top Go down

Wallace's days with Steelers could be over
Page 1 of 1