Steelers Xtreme Forum

Homeyoung Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line Empty
PostSubject: young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line   young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line EmptyFri May 03, 2013 12:39 am

Quote :
In an era when most teams were still pulling and sweeping in the old Lombardi method, Pittsburgh coaches Dan Radakovich and Dick Hoak preached a complicated trapping scheme that required their offensive linemen to be quick thinkers as well as quick on their feet. Steeler linemen were small but muscular, so Radakovich taped Pittsburgh's jersey sleeves to their bulging biceps, leaving larger defensive linemen with nothing to grab and leaving nothing to the imagination of Pittsburgh fans.
Just as Perles and Carson proved revolutionary with the “Stunt 4-3," Radakovich taught Steeler linemen Mike Webster, Gerry Mullins, Jon Kolb, Jim Clack, Sam Davis, Gordon Gravelle and Ray Mansfield the innovative "lock-out" technique, where Steeler linemen locked-out pass-rushers by extending their thick arms straight-out in a punching motion. The technique is now common practice throughout the NFL.
Fronted by a mobile line that one opposing coach said “starts trapping as soon as they step off the bus," Harris and Bleier excelled running quick-hitters and counters and both rushed for over 1,000 yards.

yep the 70s Steelers offensive line were ahead of their time too.

not only did the Steelers have the best players of the 70s but they had the best coaches also.

http://www.profootballresearchers.org/Coffin_Corner/22-03-847.pdf
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line Empty
PostSubject: Re: young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line   young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line EmptySat May 04, 2013 7:54 am

We should hire those coaches back young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line 3798349058

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line   young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line EmptySat May 04, 2013 8:42 am

Mike Webster is one of my all time favorites. Just a working class type of no nonsense guy. It was really sad hearing about his health before he died. I'm not ashamed to say I cried when I heard about his passing. What a great Steeler he was!!!! Most all of those guys benched in the neighborhood of 500lbs. Their style is the one I've always wished we'd go back to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line   young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line Empty

Back to top Go down

young Steeler Nation what you might not know about the 70s Steelers o-line
Page 1 of 1