Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBeachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention Empty
PostSubject: Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention   Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 12:39 am

Quote :
Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention 6aa5f9fd42e99c02a6a4c09fbedfca38

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Kelvin Beachum played strictly left tackle at SMU. The Steelers drafted him last year to play guard. Saturday night, he played tight end. Thursday night, he will play center against the Carolina Panthers and maybe a little tackle, too.

Bill "Spaceman" Lee, 66, played all nine positions on a baseball field in a minor league game last week. Beachum looks to be working on the football version of that.

He will play his fourth position in a game and his second season hasn't begun. What's next? Sending him out on pass routes? Saturday night, the phrase referee Jeff Triplette repeated most often into his microphone was "No. 68 is an eligible receiver."

"My wife said she kind of got tired of hearing it," Beachum said.

"It would be fun to see him do that," Heath Miller said of the chance Beachum might catch a pass. "I don't know if that's in the plans or not, but we'll see what happens I guess."

Coach Mike Tomlin said he liked what Beachum did as a tight end against Kansas City. So did Miller.

"He's definitely a better blocker than me," Miller said. "They didn't give him a chance to get down the field, so that's still a question mark. We'll see what he can do."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/beachums-versatility-turns-him-into-steelers-newest-center-of-attention-701024/#ixzz2dEe5oZvd
I was a little shocked that Beachum made the team last year. And then he got off to a rough start when he saw some action. But he played well late and has been a pleasant surprise.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention   Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 1:12 am

Quote :
Steelers' versatile Beachum is do-it-all lineman

By Ralph N. Paulk

On Monday, Kelvin Beachum stood near his locker answering a volley of questions about his versatility. At times, he was evasive as he opted to avoid characterizing his fluid role on the Steelers' oft-maligned offensive line.

Beachum has bounced up and down the line of scrimmage like a vagabond. He has no permanent home in the trenches where he's played center, guard and tackle.

A seventh-round pick out of SMU in 2012, Beachum is a natural left tackle, but he's had to adapt to secure a job. He started at right tackle the final five games last season after Mike Adams suffered an ankle injury.

Then, Saturday night against Kansas City, the 6-foot-3, 303-pound Beachum was tossed into the game at tight end in short-yardage situations.

“I liked what Beachum did as an eligible receiver,” coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday.

All that's left for Beachum to do is a catch a pass.

“We work with the tight ends a lot when I'm at tackle, so it's transferable to what I'm doing,” the 24-year-old said. “Whether it's play-action or in the run game, you have to understand what they're doing.

“With me going to tight end helped out the team, and that's what I'm here for. It was a more spacious environment at tight end.”

Beachum, though, knows his limitations. Or does he?

“Wherever they tell me to go, that's where I go,” he said.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4597294-74/beachum-tackle-tight#ixzz2dKeEvsZO

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention   Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 8:20 am

I like versatility, but don't like using it because it typically means someone has been injured.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention   Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention Empty

Back to top Go down

Beachum's versatility turns him into Steelers' newest center of attention
Page 1 of 1