Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTrading Ben??!! Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Trading Ben??!!

Go down 
+2
stlrtruck
Drizztbob
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:46 am

I don't share links like this from Fever...but this is concerning:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=101334

I for one would think this would be an awful idea. QB's like Ben are impossible to find in this league. If they want offensive shake ups, REPLACE HALEY. His scheme is ineffective in Pitt, do we need another season to prove it, hell another 8 games?? It doesn't match up with our talent and Ben's playing ability.

WAKE UP ROONEY'S!! Trading Ben??!! 2913999526 

Drizztbob

Drizztbob

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:49 am

http://www.thepigskinreport.com/2013/11/nfl-rumors-pittsburgh-steelers-to-trade-qb-ben-roethlisberger/

AND

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000278796/article/steelers-expect-big-ben-to-ask-for-offseason-trade

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 11:23 am

Good Lord if this is true, I think Ben would be treated worse than Bradshaw ever was treated.

If Ben is upset with the current state of affairs, then he should look at his own play as part of the issue.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Trading Ben??!! 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 11:35 am

Three or four years ago there's no way in hell I'd think about trading Ben. But right now? Yep, I think they should definitely consider it.

Great teams build a solid core of great players and add the right parts to supplement it. Over the years, the team will need to constantly reload to keep the right parts around the core players. But eventually, the core falls apart and reloading won't work ... it's time to rebuild the core. It's becoming more and more apparent that the Steelers are going to need to rebuild. If they do, by the time they're ready to start competing for Super Bowls again, Ben will be just about done. If they could get great value for him, coupled with what likely will be a higher than usual draft pick this year, that could go a long way toward the rebuilding process.

Fans have a hard time letting go. We wanted Hines to play forever and bitched about the Steelers letting him go, and fans also want Ben to play forever and will bitch if the Steelers part ways with him. I get it. But players can't play forever, and at some point it's time to move on. There's a risk of letting a player go too soon, but there's also a risk of keeping him too long.

Obviously, there's some negatives about trading Ben. I don't even need to discuss them ... you all know what those negatives are. So I'm not saying that they SHOULD trade him. Just that they should at least consider it.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Wallace108

Wallace108

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 11:46 am

Here's something else to consider ...

If the reports are true that Ben is unhappy and wants out, there's no point in keeping him. We've seen how Ben acts when he's not happy. With that said, I'm not taking Ian Rapoport's story as gospel. I'll wait until some of the trusted local guys chime in.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 11:50 am

Kovacevic weighs in:

Quote :
Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic

Generally speaking, if you wait til Sunday morning to tweet out some seismic NFL stuff just before your network's pregame show airs ... eh.
Quote :

Also generally speaking, if your first major hedge/backtrack on said seismic NFL news comes within less than an hour ... double-eh.
The important thing to take from Kovacevic's tweets is that he obviously hasn't heard any rumblings to support what Rapoport reported.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Three or four years ago there's no way in hell I'd think about trading Ben. But right now? Yep, I think they should definitely consider it.

Great teams build a solid core of great players and add the right parts to supplement it. Over the years, the team will need to constantly reload to keep the right parts around the core players. But eventually, the core falls apart and reloading won't work ... it's time to rebuild the core. It's becoming more and more apparent that the Steelers are going to need to rebuild. If they do, by the time they're ready to start competing for Super Bowls again, Ben will be just about done. If they could get great value for him, coupled with what likely will be a higher than usual draft pick this year, that could go a long way toward the rebuilding process.

Fans have a hard time letting go. We wanted Hines to play forever and bitched about the Steelers letting him go, and fans also want Ben to play forever and will bitch if the Steelers part ways with him. I get it. But players can't play forever, and at some point it's time to move on. There's a risk of letting a player go too soon, but there's also a risk of keeping him too long.

Obviously, there's some negatives about trading Ben. I don't even need to discuss them ... you all know what those negatives are. So I'm not saying that they SHOULD trade him. Just that they should at least consider it.
I wanted the Steelers to honor Hines' last year of his contract. He earned that much. That of course knowing he would have had a diminished role in the offense. I certainly think he still could have been that go-to guy in the clutch - only his overall numbers would have reduced.

As for Ben, I believe he is still part of the core on offense. Trading him would be detrimental to the overall health of our offense, especially considering there is no sufficient backup in the QB position. This isn't like when we had a bunch of journeymen playing the QB position and drafted Roethlisberger. We knew he was the future. Is he still the future? That depends, does the FO plan on drafting some additional linemen to protect Ben. Otherwise it won't matter if we draft another franchise QB or not, whoever is back there will get cremated. Having Ben back there gives us a greater chance to win because of his ability to extend the play.

I think all players, as with any job, go through struggles - in the NFL that's especially true when you're not winning. If we were 6-2, this wouldn't be a discussion right now.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Quote :
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

#Steelers refuse to look ahead one single game and you are telling me that they've had talks about Roethlisberger's future?
Trading Ben??!! 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Quote :

Last thing on this: If anyone thinks any shred of this, fiction or not, came from Ben, I can assure you it does NOT represent his stance.
It's becoming quite apparent that Rapoport either turned speculation into a story or got some bad information. If there was any shred of truth to this story, the local writers would have heard rumblings. I know a lot of fans don't like ANYONE in the media, but this is why you should always trust the local guys over the national media. They talk to the players and coaches on a regular basis and have more insight about what's going on.

With that said, the idea of trading Ben can still generate some good discussions on the board. Or not. Trading Ben??!! 1797695198 

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 1:41 pm

If I were the Rooney's, this is what I would do:  Sell the entire team to LA (Just joking)

IF there is any truth to this "rumor", I would try to keep Ben, draft a QB and begin to groom him to take over.  With the way BB's been banged up every season, I doubt his NFL career is going to have the longevity of say a Brett Favre.  I'd let go of Landry Jones too.  I'd also look to hire a new OC.  Unless there is some hot shot QB in the draft or they can find a Tom Brady type (those are very very rare), I'd try to keep BB around as long as possible until they have someone to step up to the plate.

From the tidbits I've read here and there, BB is frustrated and I believe this all boils down to the relationship with the OC

Trading Ben??!! We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Art II statement on BB trade rumors   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 2:19 pm

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-President-Art-Rooney-II-Statement-on-Ben-Roethlisberger-Trade-Rumors/2b8f68d9-c9ed-46bd-aa7e-65e716149ac8

Contrary to erroneous reports, the Pittsburgh Steelers have not explored trading quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and have no plans to do so

***There you have it -- straight from Art II

Trading Ben??!! We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 3:46 pm

No truth to rumors it appears...we'll see. Ben didn't look sharp today but at least we will win. Dont know what good it will do us.

Wallace108

Wallace108

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
No truth to rumors it appears...we'll see.  Ben didn't look sharp today but at least we will win.  Dont know what good it will do us.
Winning is always better than losing.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 1:56 am

Quote :
Ron Cook: Steelers, Big Ben will stick together

By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

On his way to the shower Sunday after the Steelers' 23-10 win against the Buffalo Bills, Ben Roethlisberger made it a point to find team owner Dan Rooney. On his way back from the shower, Roethlisberger sought out team president Art Rooney II. His message to both was the same.

"I'm so sorry," Roethlisberger told the Rooneys. "This stuff didn't come from me or my people. There's absolutely no truth to it. It's ridiculous. It's one of the most BS stories that I've ever heard."

This was in response to a report Sunday morning on the NFL Network from insider Ian Rapoport.

"I'm told Ben Roethlisberger is not happy; incredibly frustrated with the direction the franchise is headed. He's frustrated with the coaches and not just [offensive coordinator] Todd Haley, which is why you should expect wholesale offensive changes in the offseason."

Rapoport went on to report that Steelers sources told him "to expect Roethlisberger to ask them in the offseason to explore possible trade options. I'm told the Steelers did field trade offers for Big Ben last offseason; they are expected to do so this offseason."

Both Rooneys told Roethlisberger they never tried to trade him and have no plans to do so.

"I'd retire before I'd accept a trade," Roethlisberger said. "I mean, it would have to be something really, really unbelievable for me to even consider it. I have talked to my wife about that. I don't want to be anywhere else. This is where we want to be."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2013/11/11/Steelers-Ben-will-stick-together/stories/201311110049#ixzz2kJkecHo1

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 2:00 am

Quote :
Kovacevic: Ben will never quit on Steelers

By Dejan Kovacevic

Ben Roethlisberger isn't going anywhere.

He'll stay with the Steelers for as long as they'll have him, and that's for the foreseeable future, well beyond the expiration of his current contract in two years. He'll then retire with the team, and he and his family will make their permanent home in Pittsburgh.

I believe that.

Just as I believe that the key to understanding why is to tune out all the noise.

All of it.

To start, discard the ridiculous report that the NFL Network's Ian Rapoport put out Sunday that Roethlisberger and the team might be planning — lock on those last three words to judge newsworthiness — to part ways at season's end. The report's sources characterized the feelings of a player and the team, yet the report itself never attributes anything to Roethlisberger, his agent Ryan Tollner or Art Rooney II.

All those guys will do is, you know, decide everything.

But go further. Don't listen, either, to the strongly worded denials from Roethlisberger or Tollner or Rooney during and after the Steelers' 23-10 victory over the Bills at Heinz Field.

Turn all of the volume down to zero.

Instead, go with your eyes.

Look at what Roethlisberger has done, at his actions, even in this most miserable of seasons, and ask if this individual, as the report charges, wants out.

Ramon Foster, as often happens, put it best: “That guy's no quitter, and you're seeing that now more than ever.”

I'll emphatically second that: I've never been more impressed by Roethlisberger and, as a result, I've never been more convinced of his commitment to the Steelers.

But don't take my word for it. Go inside the huddle. Go ask the men who know him far better than any of us.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/dejancolumns/5039855-74/roethlisberger-steelers-ben#ixzz2kJm9BiW2
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 10:14 am

BR7 is going nowhere.

Media needs to stop it. Trading Ben??!! 988242114 

Wallace108

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 1:33 am

Quote :
Do not shrug off Roethlisberger trade report

By Chris Mueller
Times Sports Correspondent

Immediately after the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport tweeted that Ben Roethlisberger was frustrated with the direction of the Steelers, and that Steelers sources felt it was very possible that he would ask them to explore a trade in the off-season, the predictable reactions started.

Local media chided Rapoport as having made up the story out of thin air, questioned his sources, and generally acted like immature children about the entire thing. They refused to give credence to Rapoport’s tweets and sources and promised anyone within earshot that no, Ben was not going to go anywhere.

Bloggers whose success generally depends on treating the Steelers preferentially did the same, questioning the validity of the story and dragging the name of a credible reporter through the mud.

Roethlisberger, his agent, and the Steelers issued vigorous denials of the whole thing, and it seems that the story is dead. For the time being, that is.

Here’s the thing. The idea that the Steelers would trade Roethlisberger, while it might not be one that people around these parts would like to consider, has at least some validity. Roethlisberger is due for a new contract. Any kind of new deal for Ben would have to include a hefty cap hit and a good chunk of guaranteed money, and would make him a handsomely compensated member of the Steelers until at least age 35.

The Steelers need to consider their options. And they also need to take a tough, honest look at their franchise and its current trajectory.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/do-not-shrug-off-roethlisberger-trade-report/article_26845215-4f3d-5b79-842a-510e75f386af.html
Trading Ben??!! 2087824411 

^^ That's me not listening and shrugging off the Roethlisberger trade report.

We've got more important things to worry about. Like making a run at the playoffs. Trading Ben??!! 2981382511 

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 4:52 am

This story just won't die.

The Pittsburgh media more or less blasted Rapoport's report, but Gerry Dulac had a different view in his latest chat:

Quote :
soft serve: Do you believe ANY of the Ian Rapoport report? Any time is see "sources believe" I cringe.

Gerry Dulac: Yes I do. I know portions of what he said to be the same as several things I was told. He just chose to treat them/react to them differently.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/11/13/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript/stories/201311130152#ixzz2khoRU1Nr
The reason I find this interesting is because Dulac was the first to report that Arians likely wasn't coming back days before the news broke about his retirement/firing. Everyone said Dulac was full of crap. It turned out that he wasn't.

Based on what Dulac said, Rapoport apparently read too much into what someone said. Regardless, we now have a Pittsburgh reporter corroborating that someone in the Steelers organization is talking. My interpretation (and that's all it is) is that Dulac is saying that he was told Ben is unhappy and complaining ... and then Rapoport somehow made the leap to Ben wants out of Pittsburgh.

And the national media isn't letting this go ...

Quote :
NFLN keeps driving wedge between Steelers, Roethlisberger

Posted by Mike Florio

The Steelers may want to sell their 1/32nd interest in NFL Network.  Then again, they may want to double down.

For the second time in four days, NFL Network has published a report that could drive a wedge between the Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.  And it could be playing out exactly how the Steelers want it.

On Thursday night, Mike Silver of NFL Network shared this observation from one or more unnamed Steelers sources: “When he is away from the facility, he is no Peyton Manning. That is the biggest obstacle to him staying.”  Silver also said that the Steelers believe Roethlisberger “is more engaged this year, doing a better job of preparation when he is at the facility.”

Possible message, sent via the network the Steelers partially own?  When it’s time to extend Ben’s contract after the season, Ben shouldn’t expect to get paid like Peyton Manning.  And Roethlisberger should expect to make a bigger commitment to his profession.

On Sunday, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reported, citing unnamed “Steelers sources,” that the Steelers believe Roethlisberger may ask for a trade in the offseason.  All parties denied any intention to part ways, with Roethlisberger coming out so strongly and zealously against being traded that he has essentially backed himself into a corner.  If the Steelers don’t offer him what he wants, it’s now impossible for him to ask to be traded.

But the phone definitely will be ringing, in the event a new deal can’t be worked out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/14/nfln-keeps-driving-wedge-between-steelers-roethlisberger/
I know fans are going to automatically attack the media, but I'm now convinced that there might be more to this story. Hopefully Ben was just blowing off steam and made some stupid comments (as he is known to do). The last thing this team needs is a distraction. On the other hand, this could play in the Steelers' favor ... Ben plays better when he has a chip on his shoulder, and the team as a whole thrives when everyone counts them out.

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 7:23 am

They've been counted out for a while now...

Wallace108

Wallace108

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Quote :
While Roethlisberger suggested at times that the reports are fabricated, he acknowledged the possibility that someone in the building is talking out of turn, even though he doesn’t think that’s happening.

“When someone is a source and they’re unnamed, they have an agenda,” Roethlisberger said. “And their agenda is not winning football games and not helping this team. Whoever that agenda is coming from, they’re not helping us, they’re hurting us.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/15/roethlisberger-lashes-out-again-at-ongoing-reports-of-discord/

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 12:05 am

Quote :
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Ben Roethlisberger on WDVE: 'My thought is the local guys are smarter than the national guys. They know what's going on."
Hmmm, where have I heard that before? Trading Ben??!! 3135543967 

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 11:24 am

Reports on ESPN this Sunday stated he wanted 20 million dollars a year type contract. If so, then I can see him going bye-bye. But I'm hoping the Steelers and Roethlisberger can find a happy medium. One that lets him finish out his career as a Steelers, and give the Steelers an opportunity to go out in the next few years and draft his replacement.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 12:34 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
This story just won't die.

The Pittsburgh media more or less blasted Rapoport's report, but Gerry Dulac had a different view in his latest chat:

Quote :
soft serve: Do you believe ANY of the Ian Rapoport report? Any time is see "sources believe" I cringe.

Gerry Dulac: Yes I do. I know portions of what he said to be the same as several things I was told. He just chose to treat them/react to them differently.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2013/11/13/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript/stories/201311130152#ixzz2khoRU1Nr
This means Dulac understands that when an OC or another front office guy is bombed out of his mind while talking to a couple reporters in a seedy bar, probably best not to quote the man.:cheers:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trading Ben??!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Ben??!!   Trading Ben??!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Trading Ben??!!
Page 1 of 1