Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomePolamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early Empty
PostSubject: Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early   Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Quote :
When it comes to football age, at 33, Troy Polamalu is old.

So, it is understandable why Polamalu has a soft spot in his heart for the old guys, especially the ones who played alongside him for a number of years with the Steelers.

Over the last four years alone, consider who the Steelers jettisoned from their defense because they were too old:

* Aaron Smith

* Casey Hampton

* Brett Keisel

* James Farrior

* James Harrison

* Ryan Clark

Polamalu and Ike Taylor very well could be on deck.

In the now, the turnover led to back-to-back 8-8 seasons, which, as we now know, isn’t good enough.

Now, the Steelers brought back Keisel right before the season and Harrison a couple days ago that led to Polamalu standing up for some of his old pals.

Read more: http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2014/09/25/kaboly-polamalu-says-steelers-got-rid-of-the-old-guys-on-defense-too-early/#ixzz3EMcNbiKv

I don't think it's the case that they got rid of the old players too soon. How many of them went to other teams and contributed a lot? The problem is that some of their replacements couldn't come close to filling their shoes. We had a long stretch where it seemed we never had to rebuild ... just reload. But sometimes you need to rebuild.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
GodSendBigBen
Xtreme Newb
GodSendBigBen

PostSubject: Re: Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early   Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Yea I agree. Clark, Smith, Farrior, all those guys were pro bowlers. Its hard to replace talent like that. We had some amazing defenses throughout the 2000s. Once all those guys left you had to suspect we were gonna have to rebuild for a couple seasons. I'm excited to see how this season plays out.

Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early 3056903510 ...And on the 7th day God Created Roethlsiberger, and he was damn good. :steelersflag:Check out My Blog Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early 3262125054
Back to top Go down
http://johnyyrock.hubpages.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early   Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 7:57 pm

I think the only problem with getting rid of them was the fact we didn't have a talented squad behind them like we have in years past.

However, I disagree with Troy on this one. The Steelers have always discarded players when they've proven to be over their age limit and/or production. Most of those players couldn't keep up with the younger counterparts on offense. Anyone else remember Farrior trying to keep up with the TEs over the last few years. What about Smith? As much as I liked him, he was injury proton the last 3-4 years. Clark, was better known for his hits than his coverage. As for Harrison, remember the back pains he suffered his last 2-3 seasons as a Steeler?

I can't say much for Hampton, I think the Steelers miss him up front, especially the game against the ratbirds.

And even Troy has suffered his fair share of injuries over the years.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early   Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 1:27 am

Wally hit on it I think. We just didn't have enough younger guys waiting in the wings to step in. Now the news crop is behind the learning curve a little but last week showed (hopefully anyway) what we can do on both sides of the ball. If they continue to improve we could end up with the "Chicken Dinner" this year.
We have the talent. They need to play as a team to get it done.
Back to top Go down
Steelerella

Steelerella

PostSubject: Re: Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early   Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 12:12 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
I can't say much for Hampton, I think the Steelers miss him up front, especially the game against the ratbirds.

I 100 percent agree with you there. Casey Hampton was the linchpin of the front seven, the 3-4 zone blitz. Not having him there is a major problem. Scheme doesn't work without a dominant nose guard and pass rush from OLB's. Those NT's are as rare as the type of bulldozing running back that Jerome Bettis is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early   Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early Empty

Back to top Go down

Polamalu says Steelers got rid of the ‘old guys’ on defense too early
Page 1 of 1