Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen

Go down 
+11
Lokki
LambertLunatic
BlackAndGold
solardave
SteelersYak
Steel Peon
steelstoned1972
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
SoCalFan
Buddha Bus
Wallace108
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen Empty
PostSubject: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Quote :
Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have re-signed veteran safety Will Allen, one day after Troy Polamalu told the team he was retiring.

Allen, who is entering his 12th NFL season, has played for the Steelers for the past five seasons. Allen will provide depth in a defensive backfield that lacks experience behind free safety Mike Mitchell.

READ MORE: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/04/10/Steelers-re-sign-veteran-safety-Will-Allen/stories/201504100309

Troy who?

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 9:03 pm

Good idea. Allen has filled in admirably when called upon and dare I say, maybe helped improve the defense when Troy was down. He'll never be able to fill Troy's shoes, but he can definitely man the gates until the next great comes along.

Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 9:06 pm

Well, what other choices do we have? Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen 1505004552 It is justified though...

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Good depth move. I like Allen. No Troy obviously but a solid fill in guy.
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 11:00 pm

Great move.
Shark has yet to stay healthy and that's when he's just playing special teams.

We need his presence.

Great move.

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
steelstoned1972

steelstoned1972

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Wouldn't it be great to see Shark take off in year 3 like Troy ?

I think with his speed and reckless abandon he can be a similar player...

If he can stay healthy. .

Steelstoned @Steelcrazycraig1972
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 1:45 am

I think this is good news

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:26 am

Gotta figure out who is gonna fill those big shoes that Troy left.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:31 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Quote :
Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have re-signed veteran safety Will Allen, one day after Troy Polamalu told the team he was retiring.

Allen, who is entering his 12th NFL season, has played for the Steelers for the past five seasons. Allen will provide depth in a defensive backfield that lacks experience behind free safety Mike Mitchell.

READ MORE: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/04/10/Steelers-re-sign-veteran-safety-Will-Allen/stories/201504100309

Troy who?

Wow that's about a distressing statement. At least he didn't use the term "veteran leadership"!
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 4:21 am

steelstoned1972 wrote:
Wouldn't it be great to see Shark take off in year 3 like Troy ?

I think with his speed and reckless abandon he can be a similar player...

If he can stay healthy. .

Yep. That's the biggest question mark I have for Shark. Every time the guy has an opportunity to get PT he's sidelined by an injury.

We'll know what the FO thinks of Shark with the draft coming up.

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 8:40 am

I feel sorry for Shark. He's going to be compared to Troy, and it aint going to be pretty. Following a legend is nearly impossible.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 9:06 am

Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen 3964572787

Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 11:27 am

I agree, LambertLunatic. It's kind of like every QB that followed Marino in Miami.

I do like Will Allen though and I'm glad to see him re-sign.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 12:40 pm

I was waiting for Troy to retire for the team to pull the trigger on bringing Allen back. He can play both safety spots and also manned the nickel last season. He's a solid veteran and provides good insurance if 1) we don't draft another safety 2) Shark isn't ready and/or healthy 3) Mike Mitchell lays an egg

A lot of chatter about where MM is going to be, and if he would move to SS too. Allen can play either spot, so I guess it depends on if we draft another S and whether or not Shark appears ready to move the jump to starter.

http://steelcityunderground.com
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Quote :
Allen: 'I will do whatever is asked'

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Will Allen, who signed a one-year deal, is the definition of a true team player.

The 12th year safety, who was an unrestricted free agent, signed a one-year deal to stay with the Steelers, remaining exactly where he wanted to be.

“I am just thankful that the Lord has provided and that I am here and I can help the team win,” said Allen. “I appreciate everything. I appreciate playing football. I appreciate playing for the Steelers. Everything about it is really good.”

READ MORE: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Allen-I-will-do-whatever-is-asked/7a1fb196-43f5-434a-8f03-cae98952b40f

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 6:49 pm

The "I will do whatever to help the team" is the kind of mentality I love in a player. Especially at the highest level of sport. Yes, you are a phenomenal talent, but are you a phenomenal ATHLETE. The two don't always go hand in hand.

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 7:21 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
The "I will do whatever to help the team" is the kind of mentality I love in a player.  Especially at the highest level of sport.  Yes, you are a phenomenal talent, but are you a phenomenal ATHLETE.  The two don't always go hand in hand.

I think that's what makes Brown such a special player. He really is both. Exceptionally gifted talent wise, ridiculously dedicated to his craft and might be a better teammate above all else.

OT: It'll be interesting to watch the camp battle between Allen and Thomas. Allen has familiarity with the scheme, but Thomas has the upside and explosive ability. If he doesn't win in camp though, it's time to express some concern over the lack of talent and depth at safety.
Back to top Go down
43Hitman
Xtreme Newb
43Hitman

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 9:52 am

I like the signing, but am apprehensive about our depth in general. This draft is extremely weak at the safety position so it will be paramount that Mitchell/Shark/Allen stay healthy.

SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 6:04 pm

43Hitman wrote:
I like the signing, but am apprehensive about our depth in general. This draft is extremely weak at the safety position so it will be paramount that Mitchell/Shark/Allen stay healthy.

This is where I wish we would have drafted Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen EmptyFri May 29, 2015 11:30 pm

Will Allen’s Offseason Preparing Him On And Off The Field

By Alex Kozora on May 29, 2015

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/will-allens-offseason-preparing-him-on-and-off-the-field/ …
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen   Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers re-sign veteran safety Will Allen
Page 1 of 1