Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMartavis Bryant almost ended up in New York Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York

Go down 
+12
IowaSteeler927
teegre
steelcityboyz
WVABE
Buddha Bus
SteelersYak
Gingerchip
Fire Arians
solardave
schillah
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
Wallace108
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York Empty
PostSubject: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 10:34 pm

Scott Brown
ESPN Pittsburgh Steelers reporter

A fantastic piece on Rex Ryan and how he is already putting his stamp on the Buffalo Bills included a fascinating nugget involving the Pittsburgh Steelers.

MMQB.com’s Jenny Vrentas wrote in-depth about Ryan and Buffalo embracing each other like long-lost brothers and also went in-depth about Ryan’s exit from the New York Jets.

According to the story, the disconnect -- and dysfunction -- between the coaching staff and Jets’ front office allowed wide receiver Martavis Bryant to fall to the Steelers in the 2014 NFL draft.

Bryant proved to be a steal for the Steelers as he caught 26 passes for 549 yards and eight touchdowns despite not dressing for the first six games of the season.

Bryant’s emergence is one reason why there are such high hopes for the Steelers’ offense after it finished second in the NFL last season with 411.1 yards per game.

And according to MMQB piece, Jets coaches pleaded with then-general manager John Idzik and his staff to take Bryant with the Jets’ third round pick.

READ MORE: http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/13359/how-pittsburgh-steelers-wideout-martavis-bryant-almost-ended-up-in-new-york

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 10:42 pm

I saw that. Glad Idzik didn't listen.
Back to top Go down
schillah

schillah

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 11:32 pm

Jets and dysfunction?? no way! lol living in NY, thats a weekly headline for them

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 12:51 am

Their loss is our gain. I'm glad we got him.I really think he can be someone special if he keeps his head on straight.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 1:33 am

Not too late, how bout a trade for odell beckham jr? Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 1797695198

edit: nvm i thought it was giants, cause who gives a f about the jets? Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 2:44 am

According to Bryant's mother, he wanted to play for the Steelers (from an older article in the Trib):

When he was little, I asked him what he wanted to do,” Roberta Bryant recalled of her only child. “And he would say, ‘I want to play in the NFL.' ”

Bryant also wanted to play at nearby Clemson. He did. He wanted to play for the Steelers, too, returning home one day during predraft workouts wearing a Steelers hat and proclaiming to his mom, “This is where I want to go"  “Everything he said he wanted to do,” Roberta said, “it happened.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/7036802-74/bryant-clemson-martavis#ixzz3XS5lDHAm

Some things are just meant to be, and for this I am thankful.

Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York We_bel10
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 3:15 am

So Martavi(ou)s Bryant must have nice feet if Rex Ryan wanted him... Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 3798349058

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 3:22 am

SteelersYak wrote:
So Martavi(ou)s Bryant must have nice feet if Rex Ryan wanted him... Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 3798349058

Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 1664291743

Gotta hand it to you Yak, you've been coming up with some pretty funny zingers this week.

Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 9:33 am

Loving what I am seeing from Bryant thus far. It's icing on the cake if the Steelers were the team he wanted to play for..

I'm hoping he continues to develop and produce and gets that #2 spot away from Wheaton. Not that I dislike Wheaton, I just think he's better suited for a slot/ possession type receiver for us. This trio of Brown, Bryant, and Wheaton could potentially do special things for this team.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 9:37 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
Loving what I am seeing from Bryant thus far.  It's icing on the cake if the Steelers were the team he wanted to play for..

I'm hoping he continues to develop and produce and gets that #2 spot away from Wheaton. Not that I dislike Wheaton, I just think he's better suited for a slot/ possession type receiver for us. This trio of Brown, Bryant, and Wheaton could potentially do special things for this team.

I see similarities between Wallace/Ward and Brown/Bryant but I feel like we've upgraded. Brown is a quick possession receiver and Bryant stretches the field (but is more than a 1 trick pony).

Once WheatThins comes into his own, we are going to create matchup nightmares.

Oh yea, and we have Heath (a VERY solid TE) and Bell (who can catch passes well)

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 9:44 am

SteelersYak wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Loving what I am seeing from Bryant thus far.  It's icing on the cake if the Steelers were the team he wanted to play for..

I see similarities between Wallace/Ward and Brown/Bryant but I feel like we've upgraded. Brown is a quick possession receiver and Bryant stretches the field (but is more than a 1 trick pony).

Once WheatThins comes into his own, we are going to create matchup nightmares.

Oh yea, and we have Heath (a VERY solid TE) and Bell (who can catch passes well)

Potentially unstoppable if they all realize their potential. Heath, Brown, and Bell are already there. If Bryant and Wheaton start clicking it's going to be scary for opposing defenses.

Back to top Go down
WVABE

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 3:17 pm

I've got a good feeling about the upcoming season and with Bryant entering his 2nd year I can't wait to see if Tomlin really unleashes his talent.
I'm not counting out Archer either he's got talent but just not enough touches.

10-30-40- soon to be 50. Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 2981382511
Back to top Go down
steelcityboyz

steelcityboyz

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:17 pm

You could just see with every game the confidence Bryant was getting in himself. Here's to hoping he continues to get better. Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 1426860608
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 10:52 pm

Maybe the NYJets are trying to propose a trade: the #6 pick for Bryant.  

I mean... I love Bryant, but if it meant getting Dante Fowler, Jr., I'd make that trade in a millisecond.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 5:07 am

Glad that Bryant ended up in the right place. The Jets are an organization like the Raiders anymore where it seems players go to kill their careers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 7:45 am

teegre wrote:

I mean... I love Bryant, but if it meant getting Dante Fowler, Jr., I'd make that trade in a millisecond.  

If we had a wealth of riches at the WR position I'd say yes, but that would plug one hole just to create another. I like what I've been seeing from Bryant way too much to want to give that away and there's no guarantee that Fowler, Jr. would be a star for us anyway. As you know, the draft can be a crap shoot no matter how highly touted you come out of college. You were pretty sure about Matt Elam too and he's stunk so far. Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 755331329

Our offense is clearly our strength now. No reason to weaken that on the hopes of improving the defense unless we are jettisoning some fat. I love where the WR corps is at right now and hope we actually build on that with a later round draft pick who can sneak in under the radar like we've been finding lately. Until we can get this defense right, we're going to have to rely on the offense to outscore opponents and Bryant could factor in as a large part of that by being a deep threat and big redzone target.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 9:32 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
teegre wrote:

If we had a wealth of riches at the WR position I'd say yes, but that would plug one hole just to create another. I like what I've been seeing from Bryant way too much to want to give that away and there's no guarantee that Fowler, Jr. would be a star for us anyway. As you know, the draft can be a crap shoot no matter how highly touted you come out of college. You were pretty sure about Matt Elam too and he's stunk so far. Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 755331329

Our offense is clearly our strength now. No reason to weaken that on the hopes of improving the defense unless we are jettisoning some fat. I love where the WR corps is at right now and hope we actually build on that with a later round draft pick who can sneak in under the radar like we've been finding lately. Until we can get this defense right, we're going to have to rely on the offense to outscore opponents and Bryant could factor in as a large part of that by being a deep threat and big redzone target.

Right on Buddha Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 184121345

But I don't think it's the Jets hinting toward a trade, it would be the Bills. The Jets suck and don't even understand they missed the opportunity. Ryan is the guy that wants Bryant. But same point, it's not worth throwing out a proven when we don't have a tall receiver who can stretch the field sitting behind Bryant. I'm a defensive minded guy and would love the chance to get a Fowler tiered guy, but not at the expense of losing a potential offensive star. Maybe we can snooker Ryan into trading for Landry Jones! Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 1890901109
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 9:38 am

kirklandrules wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
teegre wrote:

Right on Buddha Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 184121345

But I don't think it's the Jets hinting toward a trade, it would be the Bills. The Jets suck and don't even understand they missed the opportunity. Ryan is the guy that wants Bryant. But same point, it's not worth throwing out a proven when we don't have a tall receiver who can stretch the field sitting behind Bryant. I'm a defensive minded guy and would love the chance to get a Fowler tiered guy, but not at the expense of losing a potential offensive star. Maybe we can snooker Ryan into trading for Landry Jones! Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 1890901109

I doubt we could even snooker the Raiders into trading for Landry Jones. Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 1797695198

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 9:41 am

Agree with Buddha. We cannot risk weakening the offense to get an unproven part for the defense. The defense has no identity whereas the offense is set. I am confident in BR7 and Co. to carry us to some victories and Bryant will be a significant part of that

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 10:47 am

[quote="kirklandrules"][quote="Buddha Bus"]
teegre wrote:

But I don't think it's the Jets hinting toward a trade, it would be the Bills. The Jets suck and don't even understand they missed the opportunity. Ryan is the guy that wants Bryant.

The Bills don't have a 1st round pick this year. They traded it away last year.
Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
teegre wrote:

I hear you.  A proven commodity trumps almost any draft pick.  

Thad said, Colbert is adept at drafting receivers: Holmes, Wallace, Sanders, AB, Bryant... so, I'm confident I his ability to replace Bryant.  If Colbert could acquire an OLB like Fowler, this defense would be lightyears better.  And, there would still be plenty of WRs that would be available at 22 or 56 (or in R6).  

More importantly, Matt Elam doesn't stink!!!  He loves me so much, that he's sabotaging the Ravens from within.  You're just jealous of what Matty & I have.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 9:18 am

teegre wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
teegre wrote:

I hear you.  A proven commodity trumps almost any draft pick.  

Thad said, Colbert is adept at drafting receivers: Holmes, Wallace, Sanders, AB, Bryant... so, I'm confident I his ability to replace Bryant.  If Colbert could acquire an OLB like Fowler, this defense would be lightyears better.  And, there would still be plenty of WRs that would be available at 22 or 56 (or in R6).  

Still no guarantee Fowler will pan out no matter how awesome he was in college. I still keep the guy who's shown promise and potentially will anchor my #2 WR position. Wheaton hasn't exactly shown he's quite a #2 yet, but Bryant has already shown flashes of being that guy.

teegre wrote:
More importantly, Matt Elam doesn't stink!!!  He loves me so much, that he's sabotaging the Ravens from within.  You're just jealous of what Matty & I have.

Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York Kc663

Back to top Go down
teegre

teegre

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 10:22 am

Buddha Bus wrote:

Still no guarantee Fowler will pan out no matter how awesome he was in college. I still keep the guy who's shown promise and potentially will anchor my #2 WR position. Wheaton hasn't exactly shown he's quite a #2 yet, but Bryant has already shown flashes of being that guy.

Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York Kc663

Very true. It'd be a calculated risk... but, a gamble that I'd be willing to make.

Now you know what I look like. Forward that image to Cap. Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York 1797695198
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 6:22 pm

You know, the guys that I normally pimp don't get drafted by the Steelers, but I pimped Bryant in the 4th and then closer to the draft I think I felt he would be a 3rd round pick. I think this year I am going to talk Nick Marshall in the 5th and Steven Nelson in the 3rd. Not sure the Steelers need another nickel corner like Nelson, but the kid is a player. Nick Marshall is a good football player that should find a spot in an NFL secondary in a couple years.
Back to top Go down
lipps83
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 8:38 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Scott Brown
ESPN Pittsburgh Steelers reporter

A fantastic piece on Rex Ryan and how he is already putting his stamp on the Buffalo Bills included a fascinating nugget involving the Pittsburgh Steelers.

MMQB.com’s Jenny Vrentas wrote in-depth about Ryan and Buffalo embracing each other like long-lost brothers and also went in-depth about Ryan’s exit from the New York Jets.

According to the story, the disconnect -- and dysfunction -- between the coaching staff and Jets’ front office allowed wide receiver Martavis Bryant to fall to the Steelers in the 2014 NFL draft.

Bryant proved to be a steal for the Steelers as he caught 26 passes for 549 yards and eight touchdowns despite not dressing for the first six games of the season.

Bryant’s emergence is one reason why there are such high hopes for the Steelers’ offense after it finished second in the NFL last season with 411.1 yards per game.

And according to MMQB piece, Jets coaches pleaded with then-general manager John Idzik and his staff to take Bryant with the Jets’ third round pick.

READ MORE: http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/13359/how-pittsburgh-steelers-wideout-martavis-bryant-almost-ended-up-in-new-york

I am not quite sure how much of this I buy. If Ryan wanted to take Bryant with their 3rd, they had their 3rd and two 4th round picks before the Steelers drafted Bryant. With their second 4th, they selected a WR, why wouldn't it have been Bryant unless they completely ignored advice from their head coach and if so, maybe they were already ready to get rid of him.

Either way, I still have no idea why the Steelers went Archer/Bryant when they could have gone Bryant/4/5/6/7 and then snagged Archer as a free agent.

They were playing with fire in that draft since they wanted both players, good thing the gamble partly worked in their favor (I say partly because I don't think Archer will amount to anything).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York   Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York Empty

Back to top Go down

Martavis Bryant almost ended up in New York
Page 1 of 1