Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomePlaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers

Go down 
+2
Buddha Bus
Wallace108
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 6:11 pm

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — KDKA-TV has learned former Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress is coming to Pittsburgh to meet with the team.

Burress was a favorite receiver of Ben Roethlisberger before he left for the New York Giants where he became a Super Bowl champion and caught the game-winning TD pass to end the perfect season of the New England Patriots.

Mike Tomlin is known to have an open door policy with players and the Steelers believe this is worth the effort to find out if it could work.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/07/27/plaxico-burress-to-meet-with-steelers/
--------------------------

I know I was originally against Plax coming back, but I'm willing to see where this goes. It just seems to me we have a lot more needs than WR right now. Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers 2087824411

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 6:16 pm

We don't need him. He's a knucklehead and I don't think this leopard will change his spots. Why aren't we pursuing free agent O-linemen instead? Maybe a backup CB or safety. Those are true needs areas. Why waste time or money on a position that is already set except for the #5/special teams guy?

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:36 am

Maybe they are seeing if they can get him for cheap and look to trade one of the other guys for an OL or CB. Or maybe we're just going to go 5 wide, no huddle every play. Maybe? Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers 2087824411

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 7:11 am

From the P-G:

Adding spice to the first weekend of their 46th camp at Saint Vincent College is a report that wide receiver Plaxico Burress will have dinner with coach Mike Tomlin Saturday night.

ESPN reported that he will have dinner with Tomlin after visiting Friday with Tom Coughlin of the New York Giants, his previous employer.

The Giants reportedly are willing to pay him $10 million over two years, a figure the Steelers likely could not touch since they already are nearly $10 million over the salary cap this year and have plenty of their own free agents to re-sign and even those they might want to extend who are entering their final contract years, such as Troy Polamalu and Lawrence Timmons.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11209/1163473-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1TOgTjkW5
--------------------

There's no way the Steelers will offer him anything close to what the Giants are. Even if he came back cheap, it still doesn't make sense. I like the idea of having him back, but we just don't need him. Plus, we have cap issues, and there are other players we need to worry about locking up.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 7:23 am

But will Plax take a pay cut to play for the Black and Gold?

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:01 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:

I don't see it happening.

But I wouldn't mind seeing him back in the Black and Gold. Having Burress and his past issues behind him, with the young WRs corp, would benefit not only the underneath game (should Ben decide to check down), but open up the field a little bit more for the running game considering now we'd have Burress on one side and Wallace on the other.

However, with Burress expecting to make millions, he isn't going to like the paycheck the Steelers can afford to pay him.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:04 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
That's possible. But even if he played for cheap, would it still be worth it when WR isn't a need for them and they're already over the cap? They're going to have to cut some veterans and/or ask some to restructure their contracts. It just doesn't make sense to me, and I'm really surprised they're even entertaining the idea. And that has nothing to do with Plaxico ... it's based on need and money.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:08 am

Wallace108 wrote:
BGSU A Dub wrote:
That's possible. But even if he played for cheap, would it still be worth it when WR isn't a need for them and they're already over the cap? They're going to have to cut some veterans and/or ask some to restructure their contracts. It just doesn't make sense to me, and I'm really surprised they're even entertaining the idea. And that has nothing to do with Plaxico ... it's based on need and money.

The need I can understand to a point. With Hines getting older, the team needs a veteran WR to help bring the young pups along. I don't believe Wallace is old enough or mature enough to lead the WR Corp. Plax knows the system and could very well be the on-field mentor to put Wallace over the edge as well as Brown. He could also be the voice of leadership on the field and in the locker room.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:27 am

stlrtruck wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
BGSU A Dub wrote:

The need I can understand to a point. With Hines getting older, the team needs a veteran WR to help bring the young pups along. I don't believe Wallace is old enough or mature enough to lead the WR Corp. Plax knows the system and could very well be the on-field mentor to put Wallace over the edge as well as Brown. He could also be the voice of leadership on the field and in the locker room.
That's a good point. I considered Ward's age and the fact that this could be his last year. But I think Sanders will fill his spot nicely. He won't be the physical receiver Ward has been, but I think he has the potential to be a better receiver. If Ward had retired this year, I'd totally support bringing in Plax. I think Sanders needs one more year to be ready. For me, the jury is still out on Brown. He has a lot of potential, but he's a little more rough than Sanders. If Plax came in, he'd take away reps and playing time from the young guys ... that's not going to help their development.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:29 am

Wallace108 wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
BGSU A Dub wrote:

That's a good point. I considered Ward's age and the fact that this could be his last year. But I think Sanders will fill his spot nicely. He won't be the physical receiver Ward has been, but I think he has the potential to be a better receiver. If Ward had retired this year, I'd totally support bringing in Plax. I think Sanders needs one more year to be ready. For me, the jury is still out on Brown. He has a lot of potential, but he's a little more rough than Sanders. If Plax came in, he'd take away reps and playing time from the young guys ... that's not going to help their development.

It's not all about playing time, it's also about leadership. You can also lose a young guy who doesn't have the leadership he needs to move forward. If it were me, I'd consider Plax on a 3 year deal and I'd really focus on getting Sanders and Brown the reps throughout the season, especially in games that the lead is extensive - and yes I would tell my OC and Offensive Captains to run up the score so that these younger guys get more playing time.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:45 am

stlrtruck wrote:
It's not all about playing time, it's also about leadership. You can also lose a young guy who doesn't have the leadership he needs to move forward. If it were me, I'd consider Plax on a 3 year deal and I'd really focus on getting Sanders and Brown the reps throughout the season, especially in games that the lead is extensive - and yes I would tell my OC and Offensive Captains to run up the score so that these younger guys get more playing time.
I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure I agree with the leadership argument. Plax is a talented receiver, no question. But it takes more than talent and experience to be a good leader. T.O. and Ocho have talent and experience, but I certainly wouldn't want them being leaders for young receivers. I'm not trying to compare Plax to those idiots, but I don't know how good of a leader he would be. Rather than being a leader, he very well could be a cancer. I'm not sure we can assume he'd be able to step in and be the kind of leader Ward has been. Besides, even if Ward retires after this season, he'll have spent 3 years with Wallace and 2 with Sanders and Brown. I think that's plenty of time to mentor young players. After Ward retires, one of those guys should be ready to step up and fill the leadership role.

The bottom line for me is this: If Ward was already gone, signing Plax would be a no-brainer. And even now, it wouldn't hurt if we could afford it. But I don't think we can.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:50 am

Money will definitely keep us out of the running.

And you're right about Hines, but I don't think any of the WRs right now could replace Hines' leadership skills - even Plax, but his training and skill would be a great example for the young players. Especially his route running.

But like you said, can we afford it.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 3:14 pm

Roethlisberger wants Burress to consider Steelers

Friday, July 29, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger laughed today over James Harrison's comments in Men's Journal that he was no Peyton Manning, but says it's no laughing matter about trying to get receiver Plaxico Burress to rejoin the Steelers.

The quarterback said he has been lobbying Plaxico for the past two months to consider re-signing with the Steelers, who drafted him in the first round in 2000.

"I've been talking to him," said Roethlisberer, who was a rookie during Burress' final season with the Steelers in 2004. "Plax and I have been talking for the last couple of months. I talked to him the other day and said, 'Would you be interested?' I'm excited for him to come whenever he comes here."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11210/1163800-100.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1TWValQ3T
------------------------------------------

I'm not surprised that Ben wants Plax to return. He's always wanted that tall receiver. I guess he's getting tired of waiting on Sweed. Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 6:01 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
The bottom line for me is this: If Ward was already gone, signing Plax would be a no-brainer. And even now, it wouldn't hurt if we could afford it. But I don't think we can.

I think this is the only problem with Plax coming back. But, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have no idea what is going with the cap so who knows.

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:30 am

Farrior_roirraW wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

I think this is the only problem with Plax coming back. But, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have no idea what is going with the cap so who knows.

I'm not a numbers guy, and the cap makes no sense to me.
-----------------------------------------

Burress meets with Tomlin, Colbert in Latrobe

Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:38 am | Updated: 9:54 am, Sat Jul 30, 2011.

Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

LATROBE - Former Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress was back at St. Vincent College this morning, meeting with coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

Burress, the Steelers' first-round pick of the 2000 NFL Draft, spent the past two years in prison on felony weapon charges.

He'll turn 34 in a few weeks, but wants to resurrect his football career.

It is believed that the New York Giants and Steelers are the two teams he's most interested in playing for. After playing five seasons wth the Steelers, Burress played four seasons with the Giants before going to prison.

On Friday, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger all but begged Tomlin and Colbert to bring Burress back.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/burress-meets-with-tomlin-colbert-in-latrobe/article_8afd8288-bab1-11e0-a9d7-001a4bcf6878.html

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 7:05 pm

Steelers call Plaxico visit “a positive”

Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT

“Positive” remains the operative word after Plaxico Burress‘ first two free-agent visits since getting out of jail.

After a reportedly “positive” visit with the Giants on Friday night, Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Saturday sit-down was “a positive.”

Burress had two meals with Steelers officials, including players who tried to woo him to return, and it appears based on Bouchette’s report that Plaxico told someone during the visit that he’s not going back to the Giants.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/steelers-call-plaxico-visit-positive/

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Plaxico Burress to visit 49ers next

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 30, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT

After a positive visit with the Steelers today, Plaxico Burress is getting ready for a cross-country flight.

Burress will visit the 49ers today, Steve Serby of the New York Post reports.

Although Serby says Burress will then visit the Jets tomorrow, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that Burress hasn’t decided yet whether he’ll visit the Jets, and that if Burress stays in New York it would be with the Giants.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/plaxico-burress-to-visit-49ers-next/
------------------------------------

Wait, what? One report says that he won't be going back to the Giants. The other report (from the same source) says that if he plays again in New York, it'll be with the Giants. Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers 2829330259

Gotta love Internet media. Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:29 am

Cook: Reality will beat dream for Burress

Sunday, July 31, 2011
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert made it easy Saturday to dream about Ben Roethlisberger dropping back to pass, being chased out of the pocket to avoid pressure, looking downfield and finding big-target Plaxico Burress far above the secondary crowd for a Steelers touchdown.

Too bad Colbert had to bring reality into it by mentioning the ugly word "terminations" at least three times.

Rough translation:

"If we bring Burress back, we'll have to get rid of a veteran or two to fit him under the salary cap."

I don't know about you, I like dreams a lot better than reality.

The Steelers' interest in Burress is intriguing and worthwhile. He spent much of Saturday at their Saint Vincent College training compound and met extensively with Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin, who wouldn't have wasted their time or his if they didn't want to do a deal with him and didn't think one was possible.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11212/1164161-87-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1Tequ4MiW
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ruh-ro

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:39 am

Based on everything I've read the past day, I've got a gut feeling the Steelers are going to sign Plax. Keep in mind though, my gut is wrong more often than it's right. Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers 2087824411

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:41 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Based on everything I've read the past day, I've got a gut feeling the Steelers are going to sign Plax. Keep in mind though, my gut is wrong more often than it's right. Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers 2087824411

Are you sure that that feeling in your gut isn't just the Busch Light burning a hole through your stomach lining? Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers 106674522

Back to top Go down
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:43 am

Wallace108 wrote:

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert made it easy Saturday to dream about Ben Roethlisberger dropping back to pass, being chased out of the pocket to avoid pressure, looking downfield and finding big-target Plaxico Burress far above the secondary crowd for a Steelers touchdown.

Too bad Colbert had to bring reality into it by mentioning the ugly word "terminations" at least three times.

Rough translation:

"If we bring Burress back, we'll have to get rid of a veteran or two to fit him under the salary cap."

The Steelers' interest in Burress is intriguing and worthwhile. He spent much of Saturday at their Saint Vincent College training compound and met extensively with Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin, who wouldn't have wasted their time or his if they didn't want to do a deal with him and didn't think one was possible.

Ruh-ro

I'm thinking Foote and Smith... and getting a little paranoid about Potsy now. :rant: Haha, these next few days are going to be really interesting regardless to get below the cap.

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:46 am

Farrior_roirraW wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Rough translation:

Ruh-ro

I'm thinking Foote and Smith... and getting a little paranoid about Potsy now. :rant: Haha, these next few days are going to be really interesting regardless to get below the cap.

You've gotta believe Sweeeeeeeeed and Battle are on the chopping block as well if this trigger gets pulled. Absolutely no need for them.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:47 am

Farrior_roirraW wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Rough translation:

Ruh-ro

I haven't seen Farrior's name come up anywhere, so he might be safe. But you're right ... it's going to be interesting.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:48 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
You've gotta believe Sweeeeeeeeed and Battle are on the chopping block as well if this trigger gets pulled. Absolutely no need for them.
I'll try to find the link, but I read somewhere tonight that Sweed has a hamstring injury. Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers 1505004552

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:49 am

I hate to say it, but wasn't there some talk of Foote stepping in for Potsy when his time was up? Just sayin'. Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers 611739232

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers   Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers Empty

Back to top Go down

Plaxico Burress To Meet With Steelers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next