Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeNext Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva

Go down 
+12
solardave
SteelersCanada
Steelcitian
LambertLunatic
Lokki
IowaSteeler927
Fire Arians
El-Gonzo Jackson
SteelCity4Life
ImperialFan
tony hipchest
Hawaii 5-0
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva Empty
PostSubject: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 4:15 pm

NEXT MAN UP: Tomlin confirmed an ACL injury has ended left tackle Kelvin Beachum’s season.

Alejandro Villanueva took over on the Steelers’ first possession of the second quarter and finished the game, but not in a manner that satisfied his expectations.

“I gotta get lower, I gotta get faster, I gotta get sharper,” Villanueva said “I can play a lot better. My coaches expect me to play a lot better. That’s what I hope to do.”

Villanueva has been dressing as the “swing” tackle, a reserve deemed capable of playing on either the left or right side.

He interpreted his insertion into the game at left tackle as a positive sign. The Steelers opted not to move right tackle Marcus Gilbert, a much more experienced player, to the left side and play Villanueva at right tackle.

“That gives me the idea that they trust me, to put the ball in my hand,” Villanueva said. “It’s up to me to go out there and perform. I gotta get with ‘Munch’ (offensive line coach Mike Munchak) and get in the study room and continue to perfect my skills so I can play up to the level they expect me to play.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Final-thoughts-Whatever-it-takes/7ddf370e-7b86-4686-a54f-7b9a217fcd57
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Steelers sign OT Byron Stingily, who started 9 G for Titans 2012-14. Former Mike Munchak pupil. Place Kelvin Beachum on IR

— Ed Bouchette (@EdBouchette) October 19, 2015

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 5:59 pm

Down to our-

3rd string LT
3rd string QB
3rd string Safety
3rd string Cornerback
4th string Kicker
And back ups at Center and 2 LB positions

Looks good to me. Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva 294855916

Who's next?

. .
Back to top Go down
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 6:14 pm

When Ben gets back its not gonna matter.

SteelCity4Life

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 6:42 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Down to our-

3rd string LT
3rd string QB
3rd string Safety
3rd string Cornerback
4th string Kicker

Who's next?

All this and we've lost ONE game and it was because of the kicker Shocked

I did NOT expect that kind of finish against a 4-1 Cardinals team. I thought we'd squeak by with 3 points of a win. This team continues to surprise me and exceed expectations.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 6:49 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Down to our-

3rd string LT
3rd string QB
3rd string Safety
3rd string Cornerback
4th string Kicker

Who's next?

Shhhhh.... dont jinx things. Next thing you know we will have to start 6th round picks and 37 year olds at LB, because our all world #1 picks are out. Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva 294855916
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Down to our-

3rd string LT
3rd string QB
3rd string Safety
3rd string Cornerback
4th string Kicker

Who's next?

Sounds like Green Bay in 2010, I'll take it Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva 1797695198

On another note I'm calling BS on Villanueva being 276 lbs, he absolutely was dwarfing other players that were 300+ easily
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 6:36 am

Villanueva is a monster and I think he'll hold down the job nicely. He wasn't absolutely stellar against the Cardinals but he got the job done against a very good, and very aggressive defense. My biggest worry with Villanueva is how he'll handle elite speed rushers. He's a bigger guy, I'd like to see how he handles himself against the speed guys who have moves.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 6:40 am

I don't recall him getting any holding penalties while he was in there. That is a plus. Beachum was good for 1-2 a game. That may change against an elite speed rusher though, as Iowa pointed out.
Back to top Go down
LambertLunatic
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 7:34 am

tony hipchest wrote:
Down to our-

3rd string LT
3rd string QB
3rd string Safety
3rd string Cornerback
4th string Kicker

Who's next?

Actually our 4th string QB.
Ben
Gradkowski
Vick
Jones
Back to top Go down
Steelcitian

Steelcitian

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 9:12 am

Remember seeing this guy in pre-season. He does need to get lower-Very strong though.
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 12:51 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Down to our-

3rd string LT
3rd string QB
3rd string Safety
3rd string Cornerback
4th string Kicker

Who's next?

And still 4-2.

Baltimore fans are whining about injuries while we are just as injured as Baltimore is, if not more-so at key positions.

Coaching looks like it's the difference.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 10:16 pm

Villanueva goes from Army Ranger to NFL offensive tackle

By JOHN PERROTTO (Associated Press)
AP - Sports

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Alejandro Villanueva says he is amazed by his teammates.

Funny thing is, his Pittsburgh Steelers teammates say the same thing about the offensive tackle expected to make his first start Sunday at Kansas City.

Villanueva is a former Army Ranger who won a Bronze Star while serving in Afghanistan.

''He's been ready for this ever since walking into this building,'' Steelers guard Cody Wallace said Thursday. ''In fact, he was ready long before he ever got here.''

Villanueva will take the place of left tackle Kelvin Beachum, who sustained a season-ending knee injury in last week's victory over the Arizona Cardinals. Villanueva says he is not overly nervous about moving into the lineup because of his teammates.

''Kelvin Beachum works even harder than me,'' Villanueva said. ''(Wide receiver) Antonio Brown is the hardest worker on the team. (Defensive end) Cam Heyward is a guy that makes sure that I'm up to (par at practice) with my technique and football skills.

''I'm just feeding off the energy of my teammates and coaches. That's what's making this team so special.''

Military service and the Bronze Star - awarded for heroic or meritorious service in a combat zone - aside, Villanueva's path to the NFL has been astonishing.

The 27-year-old finished his college career in 2009 at the West Point playing wide receiver. Last season, following his four-year commitment in the service, the 6-foot-9, 277-pound Villanueva went to training camp with the Philadelphia Eagles as a defensive lineman and was waived. He signed with the Steelers, who kept him on the practice squad all season while converting him into an offensive lineman.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin couldn't help but notice Villanueva during the playing of the national anthem last year before a preseason game against the Eagles.

''There was a guy standing over there about a head taller than everybody else saluting during the anthem and it kind of got my attention,'' Tomlin said. ''I wanted to know about this enormous human being over there saluting.''

Villanueva added 65 pounds over the past offseason and made the 53-man roster in training camp. He remains in the Army reserves and is taking classes at Carnegie Mellon University's Tepper School of Business in Pittsburgh while working on an MBA.

to read rest of article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/villanueva-goes-army-ranger-nfl-offensive-tackle-223039616--nfl.html
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 1:04 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin couldn't help but notice Villanueva during the playing of the national anthem last year before a preseason game against the Eagles.

''There was a guy standing over there about a head taller than everybody else saluting during the anthem and it kind of got my attention,'' Tomlin said. ''I wanted to know about this enormous human being over there saluting.''

l

Tomlin can only win with Bill Cowher's Country's, Military's former players.

What a lousy judge of talent. Good thing he doesn't draft players for the Steelers. Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva 1072540953
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 4:43 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Villanueva is a monster and I think he'll hold down the job nicely. He wasn't absolutely stellar against the Cardinals but he got the job done against a very good, and very aggressive defense. My biggest worry with Villanueva is how he'll handle elite speed rushers. He's a bigger guy, I'd like to see how he handles himself against the speed guys who have moves.

"how he'll handle elite speed rushers."
My guess is he'll just do the TIMBER move and fall on them like a big ole tree. I smell pancakes. Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva 1647293567
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 5:02 pm

Alejandro Villanueva looks to be 'way more physical' vs. Chiefs

By Neal Coolong

The man has been in war zones. There can’t be much that intimidates his soul while on an NFL field. Not even prodigious pass rusher Justin Houston, one of many talented pass rushers Alejandro Villanueva will face Sunday when the Steelers take on the Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City.

The former Army Ranger and U.S. Army Captain will make his first NFL start Sunday, a week after playing a little more than one half in the Steelers’ win over the Cardinals.

Villanueva didn’t give himself high marks for his performance in that game.

“I think I could have played better,” Villanueva said, according to Ralph N. Paulk of the Tribune Review. “A lot of times, in your first NFL game, it’s a little surreal, and you’re not as involved in game preparation. I could have been way more physical, and I could have finished plays a little better. I know how to fix it. I could have been more consistent on the field.”

The vast majority of Houston’s snaps come from the offensive left side, meaning Marcus Gilbert will have the pleasure of primarily handling Houston, who has 26 sacks in his last 21 games, including one against the Steelers in Week 16 last year.

“Houston has four sacks,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirmed. “That’s a lot of sacks for a 1-5 football team. In most instances, teams that are playing with the lead minimize the potential for those types of things.”

to read rest of article:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/10/24/steelers-alejandro-villanueva-news-offensive-line-depth-chart-marcus-gilbert/
Back to top Go down
schillah

schillah

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 11:35 pm

He's getting me killed in madden

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 11:40 pm

schillah wrote:
He's getting me killed in madden

is he not getting his pad level low enough? Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva 2087824411
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptySun Oct 25, 2015 6:17 pm

I only saw the last quarter and a half. Didn't look like he is ready to handle NFL pass rushers from what I saw. Might have to flip Gilbert over to the left side unless he really looked good in the 1st half and I didn't see it.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 1:08 am

The Pittsburgh Steelers need to move on following loss in Kansas City

by DALE LOLLEY

KANSAS CITY – Ben Roethlisberger sidled on over to left tackle Alejandro Villanueva and put his arm around the big man.

“Don’t worry about it,” Roethlisberger said. “You have to move on and put that behind you.”

The Pittsburgh Steelers should be thinking the same way after losing to the Kansas City Chiefs, 23-13.

Villanueva, making his first career NFL start in place of injured Kelvin Beachum, gave up a sack just before the two-minute warning to Tamba Hali, who stripped quarterback Landry Jones of the ball and the Chiefs recovered.

Chances are, even if the Steelers score on that drive, it wouldn’t have mattered in what turned out to be a 23-13 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. But that didn’t mean Villanueva didn’t take it hard.

“When you give up a sack and put them in a drive to win the game, and it’s a strip-fumble, it’s a terrible feeling,” said Villanueva.

The group to feel terrible after this game, however, should have been the defense.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1603398-steelers-must-put-loss-behind-them
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 1:12 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
I only saw the last quarter and a half.  Didn't look like he is ready to handle NFL pass rushers from what I saw.  Might have to flip Gilbert over to the left side unless he really looked good in the 1st half and I didn't see it.

I didn't see it either, (neither did Jones apparently) I agree, btw, maybe they ought to think about switching Gilbert to the blind side so Ben doesn't get killed.
Back to top Go down
HeinzMustard

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 9:34 am

I give Villanueva a pass on this game. On the road against some good Chiefs DEs and LBs... hopefully he will improve vs. Bengals. He and Landry Jones had no experience and it showed.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 11:07 am

HeinzMustard wrote:
I give Villanueva a pass on this game.  On the road against some good Chiefs DEs and LBs... hopefully he will improve vs. Bengals.  He and Landry Jones had no experience and it showed.  

Its not so much a "pass", but rather an indication that Villanueva might not have the skillset to play LT.

He is so tall, but does not seem like a natural "knee bender". He stoops over and bends at the waist to get low and that is exactly what got him beat on the sack/fumble. He's got the size and athleticism to play OT in terms of lateral movement and he keeps learning fast, but he might not be a guy that can stay balanced in his pass sets.

He is going to get a lot more reps from here on out, but he may be better on the front side for now, IMO.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyMon Oct 26, 2015 11:27 am

Hali is a handful for even pro bowl LTs not to mention at that point it was one dimensional football. He did pretty good up until the sack. We were down by 10 not 7 it wasn't like we were in the red zone either.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva EmptyThu Oct 29, 2015 8:07 pm

The Ranger the Taliban called ‘the giant’ got his first NFL start

October 29, 2015

Alejandro Villanueva is a former West Point lineman and Army Ranger who got his first start at tackle on Sunday as the Pittsburgh Steelers faced the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium. He took on the high-pressure role of protecting the “blind side” of backup quarterback Landry Jones, who’s in due to starter Ben Roethlisberger’s injury.

But Villanueva knows a thing or two about pressure, like, the life-or-death kind that soldiers face during wartime on a daily basis. And for him one night in particular stands out among many pressure-filled missions he carried out over the course of four tours in Afghanistan.

As reported by the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, Villanueva was serving as a 2nd lieutenant in Afghanistan. Stationed in the Kandahar Province, he was the rifle platoon leader of the 2nd Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team. A firefight had broken out between the Taliban and Afghan civilians, and, in trying to protect them, Lt. Villanueva had unknowingly led his troops into an ambush. The Taliban was waiting in the dark for Villanueva, the 6-foot-9 man known as “The Giant,” and opened fire, wounding three soldiers. Two of them survived, but Pfc. Dietrich, 20, bled out through the hole in his back moments after Lt. Villanueva had carried him from the fray and loaded him onto a helicopter...

to read rest of article:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/29/ranger-taliban-called-giant-got-his-first-nfl-start/?ref=yfp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva   Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva Empty

Back to top Go down

Next Man Up: Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next