Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomePro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs

Go down 
+31
Buddha Bus
kirklandrules
EbonySteel86
SteelerFreak58
WCSteeler
rellimie
schillah
Craziaskowboi
JonM229
ImperialFan
Stryker
jak341
lotas
DesertSteel
OX1947
The_Joker
SoCalFan
tony hipchest
Fire Arians
pczach
vasteeler
Stella Nation
IowaSteeler927
Steel Peon
Atlanta Dan
solardave
El-Gonzo Jackson
FrancoLambert
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
SteelersCanada
Hawaii 5-0
35 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs Empty
PostSubject: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Steelers CB Blake works way from waiver wire to starting job

By Chris Adamski
Friday, Oct. 30, 2015

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs Jpeg

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake 167th among the NFL's 172 cornerbacks this season.

Will Allen is in his 12th NFL season. He has played for three teams and had hundreds of teammates.

Yet the safety singles out one player above all others.

“Antwon (Blake) is the quickest guy I ever played with and most athletic guy I ever played with,” Allen said. “And that's saying a lot.”

Blake's is one of the feel-good stories on the Steelers roster. An undrafted, undersized player from a small school, he was cut by one of the league's worst teams and claimed by the Steelers 26 months ago. He ascended from a game-day deactive to special teamer to part-time cornerback to starting corner.

“He does the best he can. He tries as hard as he can, and I know he's going to compete when he's out there,” defensive coordinator Keith Butler said. “I'm glad we have him.”

That's a sentiment expressed throughout the locker room about the feisty, 5-foot-9 Blake, who has played more than 94 percent of the defensive snaps this season.

He has 32 primary tackles and 41 total tackles to lead the Steelers secondary and rank second on the team overall. His 70-yard interception return is the third-longest in the NFL this season, accounting for the Steelers' lone defensive touchdown.

So why is Blake frequently a lightning-rod for fan angst?

For one thing, subjective analysis of his performance isn't as kind: Pro Football Focus rates Blake as 167th among 172 cornerbacks who have played this season.

Blake also is a prominent part of a Steelers secondary that ranks 27th in the league in pass defense.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9352101-74/blake-steelers-season#ixzz3qAXCrjxO
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 2:47 pm

Blake is best served as a special teams player. His aggressiveness and ability to tackle in open space is best served on kick returns. His inability to play in zone or man coverage, coupled with his stiff hips and inability to win with leverage inside or outside is... staggering.

I like Blake's aggressiveness and style of play, but he isn't an NFL defensive back.
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 3:37 pm

Senquez being out for the season sucks. He would of been better in that spot. I assume.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySat Oct 31, 2015 7:49 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:
Blake is best served as a special teams player. His aggressiveness and ability to tackle in open space is best served on kick returns. His inability to play in zone or man coverage, coupled with his stiff hips and inability to win with leverage inside or outside is... staggering.

I like Blake's aggressiveness and style of play, but he isn't an NFL defensive back.

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 3964572787

And he's a starter in our secondary. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 294855916
Good hitter and tackler who can't cover worth a damn.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 12:15 am

PFF ranked Brandon Boykin as the #21 CB in the NFL in 2014. Why he doesn't start instead of Blake is beyond comprehension. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 2913999526
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 6:27 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
PFF ranked Brandon Boykin as the #21 CB in the NFL in 2014.  Why he doesn't start instead of Blake is beyond comprehension. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 2913999526

#21 among backups? Watching him in the preseason miss tackles and be out of position he looked just like an insurance policy to me. I'm not saying Blake is the answer either but I think he is less of a liability.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 9:52 am

solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
PFF ranked Brandon Boykin as the #21 CB in the NFL in 2014.  Why he doesn't start instead of Blake is beyond comprehension. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 2913999526

#21 among backups? Watching him in the preseason miss tackles and be out of position he looked just like an insurance policy to me. I'm not saying Blake is the answer either but I think he is less of a liability.

The NFL's Hidden Talents: Most underrated slot cornerbacks

Brandon Boykin, Eagles

Many Eagles fans wondered why, with their outside cornerback duo of Cary Williams and Bradley Fletcher getting toasted on an alarmingly regular basis, Chip Kelly didn't direct defensive coordinator Billy Davis to put Brandon Boykin out there as a "starter" more often. After all, when he was an outside corner in 2014, Boykin was more effective than either Williams or Fletcher—not that he had to clear a very high bar. But to ask the question is, perhaps, to misunderstand the definition of a starting cornerback in today's NFL. Boykin was a starter: He played 150 snaps outside and 374 snaps in the slot, allowing no touchdowns on all his targets. Williams and Fletcher allowed a combined 14 touchdowns. It could easily be argued that Boykin was the team's most valuable defensive back, which the Eagles seem to have confirmed by the fact that he's the only one of the three still on the team's roster.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/27/hidden-talents-slot-cornerbacks-brandon-boykin-jerraud-powers-casey-hayward

Boykin was Phillys best CB last year. As per this breakdown, he spent more time in the slot than on the outside, so why not use him as the slot CB when Gay is healthy? Cockrell, Gay on the outside and Boykin in the slot.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 10:15 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Boykin was Phillys best CB last year.  As per this breakdown, he spent more time in the slot than on the outside, so why not use him as the slot CB when Gay is healthy?  Cockrell, Gay on the outside and Boykin in the slot.

So the Eagles traded their "best" CB for a conditional 4th round pick and the Steelers coaches are just blowing smoke about Boykin's shortcomings?

Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 10:54 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Boykin was Phillys best CB last year. As per this breakdown, he spent more time in the slot than on the outside, so why not use him as the slot CB when Gay is healthy? Cockrell, Gay on the outside and Boykin in the slot.

So the Eagles traded their "best" CB for a conditional 4th round pick and the Steelers coaches are just blowing smoke about Boykin's shortcomings?

The Eagles traded Boykin for a couple of reasons. One, they signed Byron Maxwell and don't have the cap room to re-sign Boykin after this year. Two, he doesn't fit the mold of what Kelly wants in his defensive backs.

This is Tomlin being infuriatingly stubborn in his sense of loyalty to his defensive backs. As poorly as Blake has played this season, Gay hasn't been much better. Neither of them are quality NFL defensive backs.

The simple fact of the matter is, Boykin notched six interceptions in 2013 playing in the slot. Blake has two career interceptions. There's a disconnect happening here, and it's not just an 'above the shoulders' problem for Boykin.
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 6:10 pm

Blake has his strengths and weaknesses, but unfortunately he's not a shut-down corner. He gave us a decent game and a good chance of winning today, but we blew it.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 8:06 pm

Atlanta Dan wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Boykin was Phillys best CB last year.  As per this breakdown, he spent more time in the slot than on the outside, so why not use him as the slot CB when Gay is healthy?  Cockrell, Gay on the outside and Boykin in the slot.

Chip Kelly never trades away good talent. Ask DeSean Jackson, Shady McCoy, Trent Cole and Todd Herremans. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 1401235891

Boykin played 524 snaps for the eagles last year and didn't allow a TD on any of his targets. He must be terrible. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 294855916
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 9:09 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

The Eagles traded Boykin for a couple of reasons. One, they signed Byron Maxwell and don't have the cap room to re-sign Boykin after this year. Two, he doesn't fit the mold of what Kelly wants in his defensive backs.

This is Tomlin being infuriatingly stubborn in his sense of loyalty to his defensive backs. As poorly as Blake has played this season, Gay hasn't been much better. Neither of them are quality NFL defensive backs.

The simple fact of the matter is, Boykin notched six interceptions in 2013 playing in the slot. Blake has two career interceptions. There's a disconnect happening here, and it's not just an 'above the shoulders' problem for Boykin.

I agree, Boykin didn't fit Chip Kelly's mould of a CB and they got something for him before his contract was up.

I don't know if its Tomlin not giving him a chance, or position coach or DC, but I agree that Boykin has demonstrated he can play CB in the NFL better than Blake has and isn't being given a shot for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 12:51 am

Mike Tomlin On CB Antwon Blake: 'I Like His Consistent Physicality At The Position

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/11/mike-tomlin-on-cb-antwon-blake-i-like-his-consistent-physicality-at-the-position/
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 1:44 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Chip Kelly never trades away good talent.  Ask DeSean Jackson, Shady McCoy, Trent Cole and Todd Herremans. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 1401235891

Boykin played 524 snaps for the eagles last year and didn't allow a TD on any of his targets.  He must be terrible. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 294855916

I'm not defending Kelly (I actually don't like the guy) but where is Jackson now. I don't hear his name much and Shady seems to stay hurt. I'm not defending Tomlin either but isn't it Butler who calls the defense? Or does Tomlin take the reigns as to who will play or not? If so why does he need Butler?
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 2:05 am

In Blake's defense he played quite well against the Bengals. I like Blake, he's physical and has the tools to get better. I say give the young man a little more time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 11:33 am

This weeks grades from Pro Football Focus

CIN-PIT Grades:

LT Alejandro Villanueva +3.4
RG David DeCastro +3.0
CB Antwon Blake +1.9
OLB Jarvis Jones +1.8
CB Ross Cockrell +1.6

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/02/cin-pit-grades-andy-dalton-dull-in-win-over-steelers/
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 11:50 am

solardave wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Chip Kelly never trades away good talent.  Ask DeSean Jackson, Shady McCoy, Trent Cole and Todd Herremans. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 1401235891

Boykin played 524 snaps for the eagles last year and didn't allow a TD on any of his targets.  He must be terrible. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 294855916

I'm not defending Kelly (I actually don't like the guy) but where is Jackson now. I don't hear his name much and Shady seems to stay hurt. I'm not defending Tomlin either but isn't it Butler who calls the defense? Or does Tomlin take the reigns as to who will play or not? If so why does he need Butler?

I honestly don't know if its Tomlin, Butler, Lake who is keeping Boykin from seeing the field and putting Blake in positions where he gives up large cushions which result in easily completed slants or outs. I just know that Blake is a guy that should be playing dime and special teams, but not starting in the NFL.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 9:37 pm

Steelers CB thinks team can go undefeated over final eight games

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com
November 4, 2015

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs Antwon-blake-undftd-500

Antwon Blake and the Steelers' defense have been a pleasant surprise this season.

After a 4-2 start, the Steelers have dropped their last two games, including Ben Roethlisberger's return to the field last week against the Bengals. Despite the .500 record, Pittsburgh remains in good shape because among the AFC teams vying for a wild-card spot, only the Jets and Raiders have better records (both are 4-3).

So it stands to reason that 10 wins should be enough to qualify for the playoffs, except Steelers cornerback Antwon Blake has set his sights slightly higher than that.

"I can't see why we can't go undefeated the rest of the way out," according to ESPN.com. Blake made his remarks days after the Steelers lost Le'Veon Bell, the league's most dynamic running back, for the season.

There's also this: The Steelers are just 1-5 in Roethlisberger's second game back from injury (the team is 2-5 in his first game back, including Sunday's loss to the Bengals). It gets worse:

to read rest of article:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25363388/steelers-cb-thinks-team-can-go-undefeated-over-final-eight-games
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 2:06 am

That one interception of his is gonna keep him on the field for a while now even though I think hes a liability. Hope Grant balls out and snatches something if Boykin cant get noticed.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Blake lets Amari Cooper walk into the end zone for a TD. Terrible. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 1505004552
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 5:11 pm

He seems to be watching the WR's catch the ball a lot of the times......from 5 yards away.
Back to top Go down
Steel Peon

Steel Peon

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 5:22 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
He seems to be watching the WR's catch the ball a lot of the times......from 5 yards away.

Can't lie, this was getting annoying for me as well. Blake can (and did) make plays, but I would've felt better today if he didn't look like he'd drank too much cough syrup.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptySun Nov 08, 2015 8:46 pm

Steel Peon wrote:
FrancoLambert wrote:

Can't lie, this was getting annoying for me as well. Blake can (and did) make plays, but I would've felt better today if he didn't look like he'd drank too much cough syrup.
Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs O8eKlCs

Love the reference. Blake still is the biggest liability in the secondary. Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 2913999526
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 6:26 am

Sometimes I can't believe that there are 5 CB's in this league that are rated lower than him Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs 294855916
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs EmptyMon Nov 09, 2015 12:52 pm

by Dale Lolley

@ Oakland seemingly kept leaving its corners on an island against Brown. The Raiders did double him when he went deep but seemed content to let him work underneath.

That wasn’t a good move.

As much as people like to complain about the Steelers’ coaching staff, the other teams have coaches, too.

@ The Steelers’ secondary isn’t the greatest in terms of coverage to be sure. But they are showing off a physical presence that is making teams take notice.

As much as you might not appreciate Mike Mitchell’s theatrics, he is playing well and creating havoc.

The same goes for much-maligned Antwon Blake.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20151108/BLOGS08/151109496
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs   Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs Empty

Back to top Go down

Pro Football Focus rates Antwon Blake # 167 among 172 CBs
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next