Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSo proud of my Hawkeyes.  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

So proud of my Hawkeyes.

Go down 
+2
white_steel_wolfe
IowaSteeler927
6 posters
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

So proud of my Hawkeyes.  Empty
PostSubject: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptySat Nov 28, 2015 3:38 am

I know there's not a lot in the way of Hawkeyes fans on this forum, but I just wanted to say how proud I am of this team. 12-0 Friday after beating the Nebraska Cornhuskers at their home stadium to complete an undefeated regular season for the first time in decades. It's a great feeling as a Hawkeyes fan. We've had our successes over the years. The 2002 season with Brad Banks at the helm, and players like Dallas Clark made that Hawkeyes team a joy to watch. Then we had The Catch Vs. LSU with Freshman QB Drew Tate throwing a last second miracle Touchdown to beat Nick Saban's LSU Tigers. Then there was the Stanzi era, with Shonn Green rumbling over opposing teams for over 100yds in every game in a season, and then going on to win the Orange Bowl the next season. That team was so incredibly fun to watch. Stanzi, Wegher, Angerer, Clayborn, Binns, Ballard, Edds, Spievey, Greenwood, and Tyler Sash (RIP).... Some of my all time favorite Hawkeyes.

Even those teams didn't manage to pull off 12-0. So this is a new feeling for me as a Hawkeye fan, and it's nice to finally see some of the major sports networks finally starting to give the Hawkeyes some credit, instead of trying to find reasons to pick apart their success.

I just hope we can beat whomever it is that we will be facing in the Big Ten Championship game. If Iowa makes the playoffs at all, that's a massive accomplishment for a team that has not one single five star recruit on their roster, and only a couple of four star recruits compared to other teams that are literally stacked with all of the top talent in the nation. I'll be proud of them no matter what goes on from here on out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
white_steel_wolfe

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 1:11 am

OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 7:55 am

Kirk Ferentz played high school football at Upper St. Clair High School.

Iowa football uniforms

did you know?

In 1979, Hayden Fry helped to create the Tiger Hawk, the logo seen on Iowa's football helmets.[15] Since both teams shared the colors of black and gold, Fry gained permission from the Pittsburgh Steelers, the dominant National Football League (NFL) team of the 1970s, to overhaul Iowa’s uniforms in the Steelers’ image. Fry's idea was that if the team were going to act like winners, they first needed to dress like winners. Fry had originally asked Steelers defensive tackle "Mean" Joe Greene for a replica helmet and home jersey; Greene was able to send Fry to one of the team owners, and three days later, the owners sent Fry reproduction copies of the home and away uniform of Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw, making Iowa one of only a few schools to use the uniform scheme of an NFL team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Hawkeyes_football#Uniforms

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 5:21 am

effyou515 wrote:
Kirk Ferentz played high school football at Upper St. Clair High School.

Iowa football uniforms

did you know?

In 1979, Hayden Fry helped to create the Tiger Hawk, the logo seen on Iowa's football helmets.[15] Since both teams shared the colors of black and gold, Fry gained permission from the Pittsburgh Steelers, the dominant National Football League (NFL) team of the 1970s, to overhaul Iowa’s uniforms in the Steelers’ image. Fry's idea was that if the team were going to act like winners, they first needed to dress like winners. Fry had originally asked Steelers defensive tackle "Mean" Joe Greene for a replica helmet and home jersey; Greene was able to send Fry to one of the team owners, and three days later, the owners sent Fry reproduction copies of the home and away uniform of Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw, making Iowa one of only a few schools to use the uniform scheme of an NFL team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Hawkeyes_football#Uniforms

Oh yes! I'm well aware of legendary Coach Hayden Fry's connection to the Steelers! Very cool that he thought of the Steelers so highly that he wanted to model the Hawkeyes after their example.

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 12:54 pm

Hope they can make it in to the playoffs.

Just thankful it's not OSU

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION So proud of my Hawkeyes.  3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptyTue Dec 01, 2015 8:12 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
Hope they can make it in to the playoffs.

Just thankful it's not OSU

Haha me too!

IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptyTue Dec 08, 2015 3:05 am

Still proud of my Hawks. I believe we should've beaten Michigan State, but our coaches decided making our defense which was on the field for nine minutes in the 4th Quarter try a goal line stand with two minutes left on the clock instead of letting them score which only would've given them a three point lead and we'd of had time to try at least to tie the game, and maybe win it.

But, it's Iowa. I've almost come to expect these kinds of let downs. Just when we think they've gotten away from playing conservaball it comes back to rear it's ugly head at the worst possible time.

Going 12-0 though, a first in decades though still felt good, and I'm proud they'll be playing Stanford in the Rose Bowl, I just hope they don't go in and play overly conservative like they did against the Spartans.

IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptyFri Jan 01, 2016 6:32 am

Rose Bowl today! Go Hawks!!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 12:13 am

That was depressing to watch. Sorry about your hawkeyes. Looked like they threw in the towel after it was 28-0 and just went thru the motions the rest of the way. Best thing about sports is there is always a next year.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 12:59 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
That was depressing to watch.  Sorry about your hawkeyes.  Looked like they threw in the towel after it was 28-0 and just went thru the motions the rest of the way.  Best thing about sports is there is always a next year.

I can't even begin to describe my disgust and disappointment. As upset as I was about us losing to the Ravens last Sunday... Pales in comparison to losing the Rose Bowl in such embarrassing fashion. All we did was prove all the doubters and the haters that they were right, and we had no business playing with the big boys in the national spotlight. They definitely threw in the towel. I felt like only a few guys out there were actually still actively fighting throughout the game and I'd say that was Beathard, Vandenburg, Jewell, and King. Outside of that I was extremely disappointed with the lack of effort. There were a handful of plays where Beathard was able to extend plays and his receivers were just standing around instead of trying to get open... It was laughable. Not to mention the horrible playcalling. We're definitely a run first type of team, but when you're down by 35 points, you can't come out and continuously run the ball on 1st and 2nd Down every single time... The coaches were literally setting Beathard up for disaster with 3rd and long situations and Stanford had to be just laughing at us as they beat the shit out of the poor guy, because everything was so predictable they could just pin their ears back and blitz all game long.

We were thoroughly outcoached, outclassed, and outplayed. Stanford is a good football team, and they actually showed up to play, we did not.

El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Yeah, cant say I ever expected an Iowa O line to block like that in a Rose Bowl.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptySat Jan 02, 2016 4:41 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
That was depressing to watch.  Sorry about your hawkeyes.  Looked like they threw in the towel after it was 28-0 and just went thru the motions the rest of the way.  Best thing about sports is there is always a next year.

I can't even begin to describe my disgust and disappointment. As upset as I was about us losing to the Ravens last Sunday... Pales in comparison to losing the Rose Bowl in such embarrassing fashion. All we did was prove all the doubters and the haters that they were right, and we had no business playing with the big boys in the national spotlight. They definitely threw in the towel. I felt like only a few guys out there were actually still actively fighting throughout the game and I'd say that was Beathard, Vandenburg, Jewell, and King. Outside of that I was extremely disappointed with the lack of effort. There were a handful of plays where Beathard was able to extend plays and his receivers were just standing around instead of trying to get open... It was laughable. Not to mention the horrible playcalling. We're definitely a run first type of team, but when you're down by 35 points, you can't come out and continuously run the ball on 1st and 2nd Down every single time... The coaches were literally setting Beathard up for disaster with 3rd and long situations and Stanford had to be just laughing at us as they beat the shit out of the poor guy, because everything was so predictable they could just pin their ears back and blitz all game long.

We were thoroughly outcoached, outclassed, and outplayed. Stanford is a good football team, and they actually showed up to play, we did not.

Sorry about the loss - Kirk Ferentz was a year behind me at Upper St Clair HS and I have followed the Hawkeyes off and on since they adopted the Steelers look for their unis
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 12:33 pm

Sucks but we return a lot of guys next year so hopefully they learn from this. Need to really get a fast receiver. Haven-t had home run hitters like a McNutt, or a Derell Johnson Koulianos in quite some time.

effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 4:22 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Sucks but we return a lot of guys next year so hopefully they learn from this. Need to really get a fast receiver. Haven-t had home run hitters like a McNutt, or a Derell Johnson Koulianos in quite some time.

hope so the Buckeyes will be young and faster next season.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So proud of my Hawkeyes.    So proud of my Hawkeyes.  Empty

Back to top Go down

So proud of my Hawkeyes.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: NCAA Football-
Jump to: