Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeLemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 Empty
PostSubject: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 4:57 am

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister, Motörhead frontman dead at 70

Rock icon had been battling an extremely aggressive cancer

BY ALEX YOUNGON DECEMBER 28, 2015, 7:37PM

Lemmy Kilmister, founding member and frontman of Motörhead. has died. He was 70 years old.

News of his death was first reported by radio and TV host Eddie Trunk, who was a longtime friend of Lemmy. Several others have since confirmed the news, including Black Sabbath frontman Ozzy Osbourne, who wrote on Twitter, “Lost one of my best friends, Lemmy, today. He will be sadly missed. He was a warrior and a legend. I will see you on the other side.”

In a statement posted to Facebook, Motörhead wrote, “There is no easy way to say this… our mighty, noble friend Lemmy passed away today after a short battle with an extremely aggressive cancer. He had learnt of the disease on December 26th, and was at home, sitting in front of his favorite video game from the Rainbow which had recently made it’s way down the street, with his family. We cannot begin to express our shock and sadness, there aren’t words. We will say more in the coming days, but for now, please… play Motörhead loud.”

In addition to cancer, Lemmy had been suffering from a number of other well-publicized health issues, including hematoma. In 2013, he was fitted with an implantable defibrillator to correct an irregular heartbeat. His health issues had caused the cancelation of multiple Motörhead performances in recent years, though Lemmy remained an active force up until the time of his death.

Ian Fraser “Lemmy” Kilmister was born Staffordshire, England in 1945. Inspired to become a musician after seeing The Beatles perform in concert, Lemmy spent his 20s playing in a variety of bands, and also served as a roadie in the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

(Read More:) http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/12/r-i-p-lemmy-kilmister-motorhead-frontman-dead-at-70/

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wow... stunned... and on my birthday no less. This is terrible fucking news. Lemmy was a legend, an icon, an immortal and the godfather of heavy metal. I was just saying the other night how badly I would like to see Motörhead in concert again and now this news.

The music world has just lost one of it's greatest pioneers and characters. He and Motörhead influenced many bands and artists across many styles/genres of music for decades and it can't be overstated how big of a loss this is to the industry.

R.I.P., Lemmy. You'll be greatly missed. Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 1283067935

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 4:59 am

Last edited by Buddha Bus on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 5:03 am

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 8:14 am

So...uhhh....happy birthday!?!? Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 2087824411

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 8:22 am

Terrible news indeed. I was a huge moterhead fan back in the day. Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 1283067935

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 8:27 am

JonM229 wrote:
So...uhhh....happy birthday!?!?  Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 2087824411

No... no it wasn't. Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 3201610882

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 9:02 am

Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 CCb1yeQ

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 9:54 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:
So...uhhh....happy birthday!?!?  Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 2087824411

It'll be okay Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 941308610

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 10:15 am

JonM229 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

No it won't. Lemmy's dead, man. Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 3307848339

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 11:50 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

No it won't. Lemmy's dead, man. Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 3307848339

But his music will live forever

Back to top Go down
harrison'samonster

harrison'samonster

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 12:23 pm

there's a neighborhood somewhere in heaven were the lawns are beginning to die

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 12:39 pm

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 4:54 pm

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 4:58 pm

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 6:05 pm

Why Motörhead's Lemmy Was the Bleeding Heart of Rock N' Roll
All he needed was a bass and a bottle of booze.

BY MILES RAYMER
DEC 29, 2015

It turns out that Lemmy can die after all.

Yesterday, cancer did what a half-century of hard living and an ungodly amount of substance abuse couldn't, which was to stop the beating heart of the man who was himself the beating heart of rock 'n' roll.

The very idea of whether Lemmy Kilmister, one-time bassist for psych rock band Hawkwind and leader of metal pioneers Motörhead, was actually killable had long been a subject of debate among rock aficionados. As far as anyone could tell, he was indestructible. At its peak, his average daily intake of Jack Daniels and/or speed and/or basically any other abuse-able substance within arm's reach could easily have killed a normal human being. He didn't seem to appreciably age after 1979. It was widely taken for granted that after whatever apocalypse ended life on Earth as we know it, all that would be left roaming the planet would be roaches and Lemmy. My old roommate had a theory that the warts on Lemmy's face produced new Lemmys when the old ones wore out, rendering him immortal.

He may not have been god, but people worshipped him. For better or worse, his herculean feats of substance abuse made him the idol to many. Others deified him for his philosophy towards stage volume: "Everything louder than everything else". But other bands were just as loud, and other musicians did as many drugs. What set Lemmy apart from all of them, and what made him so important to rock 'n' roll, was his sense of completeness.

(Read More:) http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/news/a40823/lemmy-motorhead-has-died/

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 6:40 pm

The Inimitable Lemmy Kilmister

BY ADRIEN BEGRAND
29 December 2015

In May 1975 Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister, then the 30 year-old bassist for space rockers Hawkwind, was arrested for drug possession in Windsor, Ontario. Five days later when he was released from jail, he learned Paul Rudolph had swiftly replaced him in the band. Over the previous four years Kilmister profoundly influenced Hawkwind with his use of chords on his heavily overdriven Rickenbacker bass, his background as a guitarist transforming the traditional supporting role of a rock ‘n’ roll bassist to a beastly, imposing presence alongside the lead guitars. His presence on such crucial albums as Doremi Fasol Latido, Hall of the Mountain Grill, Warrior on the Edge of Time, and the double live Space Ritual helped propel Hawkwind to the forefront of British heavy rock, with the songs “Silver Machine”, “Lost Johnny”, and “Motorhead” becoming three of his early calling cards.

Not long after, Kilmister formed a new band, which was named after the last song he contributed to Hawkwind, only with an umlaut added for visual effect. According to one famous article, he announced his new band would “be the dirtiest rock and roll band in the world. If we moved in next door your lawn would die.” Motörhead was born, and rock ‘n’ roll would never be the same again.

With guitarist “Fast” Eddie Clarke and drummer Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor Motörhead formed a fearsome trio, and the difference between the Lemmy heard with Hawkwind and the Lemmy heard with his new band is astounding to this day. The version of “Motorhead” from the 1977 self-titled album is faster, louder, uglier, meaner, with Kilmister’s distinct bass dueling with Clarke’s lead guitar, juggling both rhythm section basslines and rhythm guitar riffs in a way that had never been done before. And that voice, roared by stretching his throat towards a high-placed microphone, was astonishingly atonal. Crooning? Operatic singing? Screw that.

(Read More:) http://www.popmatters.com/feature/the-inimitable-lemmy-kilmister/

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 3:39 pm

Lemmy- lead vocals, bass

Wino- lead guitars

Dave Grohl- drums

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 3:48 pm

With the Ramones.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 3:56 pm

With Dave Grohl, Slash, and Duff Mckagan(?)

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 9:13 am

Jack Daniels Releases Select Motorhead Whiskey

It is described as "dark, oaky, but still some corn and sweetness with that signature Jack smooth charcoal smoky finish."

January 15, 2016 6:12 PM
By Jeff Cornell

Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 C996decea33c2122fdb82a5549fb9d8c_grande

Following the death of Lemmy Kilmister, there have been many tributes and nods to the Motörhead frontman, but his favorite whiskey brand has taken it to another level.

Jack Daniels has unveiled a special single barrel whiskey to celebrate the iconic hard rock band. According to the Atlantic City Bottle Company, the select whiskey “celebrates 40 years of the loudest rock band on the planet.”

The special limited-edition liquor is usually reserved for a “Jack Daniel’s Master Distiller,” which explores the “nuances of whiskey from a single barrel.” It is described as “dark, oaky, but still some corn and sweetness with that signature Jack smooth charcoal smoky finish.” Jack Daniels encourages fans to “Raise a glass and celebrate with Motörhead and their ol’ friend Jack.”

(Read More:) http://radio.com/2016/01/15/jack-daniel-motorhead-whiskey/

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 9:46 am

Black Sabbath’s Ozzy Osbourne & Geezer Butler Remember Lemmy & Bowie

Craig Rosen
Writer
January 15, 2016

Yahoo Music had the pleasure of sitting down with Black Sabbath’s Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler to discuss their forthcoming final “The End” tour, which kicks of Jan. 20 – and during our interview (which will be posted next week), we offered Osbourne condolences on the passing of his longtime friend, Motörhead frontman Lemmy Kilmister, who died Dec. 28 from cancer. We also heard Ozzy and Butler’s thoughts on the passing of another rock icon, David Bowie, who succumbed to cancer on Jan. 10.

Ozzy and Lemmy had a long history together. Ozzy toured with Motörhead on his first-ever U.S. solo trek, and Motörhead also shared bills with Sabbath over the years. In addition, Lemmy co-wrote several Osbourne songs, including “Hellraiser” with Zakk Wylde, which was recorded by Osbourne and Motörhead, as well as the Osbourne solo hits “Mama, I’m Coming Home,” “See You on the Other Side,” and “I Don’t Want to Change the World,” the latter of which won a Grammy for Best Metal Performance in 1994.

“It was sad,” a visibly shaken Osbourne said of Lemmy’s death. “Sharon and I went to the memorial on Saturday. I knew he was ill, but I didn’t realize he was that ill. When Phil ["Philthy Animal” Taylor], the drummer, died [in November 2015], I contacted [Lemmy] and said, ‘Sorry to hear about Phil, call me if you need anything.’ He said, 'Thanks for caring’ when he texted back, but I had no idea he was so near to death himself. It really hurt me. It really broke my heart at first when he died. He was a good friend of mine for a long time. He wrote a lot of lyrics for me.“

(Read More:) https://www.yahoo.com/music/black-sabbaths-ozzy-osbourne-geezer-butler-004132041.html

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70   Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead dead at 70
Page 1 of 1