Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents

Go down 
+3
Fire Arians
kirklandrules
Wallace108
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents Empty
PostSubject: Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents   Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 9:11 pm

The Steelers have agreed to terms with 10 rookie free agents, the team announced today.

Johnny Maxey ... DL 6-5 283 Mars Hill
Tyriq McCord ... LB 6-3 241 Miami (Fla.)
Will Monday ... P 6-4 210 Duke
Giorgio Newberry ... DL 6-6 295 Florida State
Christian Powell ... RB 6-0 235 Colorado
David Reeves ... TE 6-5 255 Duke
Jay Rome ... TE 6-6 250 Georgia
Quinton Schooley ... OL 6-4 298 NC State
Canaan Severin ... WR 6-2 205 Virginia
Devaunte Sigler ... DL 6-3 290 Jacksonville State

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-agree-to-terms-with-10-rookie-free-agents/122f221f-6596-4f6d-b333-1ab85cf2bf4a

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents   Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 9:25 pm

That Christian Powell is a load. He runs a little to upright, so they'll have to get him to lower his pad level. But he's that guy that when you need to pound a nail in, and you've been looking at it for a while, then you say "shit, give me the mini sledge" ... he's that mini sledge hammer. There's nothing shifty in his style. He goes between the tackles. Hate to say it, but this is the guy you need on your practice squad that gets the ball on the goalline against the starting defense.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents   Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 10:17 pm

Oh snap! Super bowl!
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents   Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 11:54 pm

That's one big punter. I remember the days when they were 5'8 165 Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents 2981382511

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents   Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents EmptyMon May 02, 2016 1:35 am

Glad they brought a punter in to compete with Berry.

Severin & Powell are two players I'll keep an eye on.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents   Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents EmptyThu May 12, 2016 1:43 am

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a history of fairness with undrafted rookie free agents such as Canaan Severin

by Jim Wexell

Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents 05-11-16severinII

In high school, he was the Marlboro Man.

In college, he was one of the top receivers in the ACC after he learned how to deal with his sickle cell trait.

And at rookie minicamp last weekend with the Pittsburgh Steelers, he was Heath Miller.

From Marlboro, Mass., by way of the University of Virginia, Canaan Severin (KAY-nan SEV-er-in) is a 6-2, 205-pound undrafted wide receiver who showed up in Pittsburgh and -- in his words "Boom, boom, 83" -- was given the former jersey number of Miller, the great tight end from Virginia who retired from the Steelers in February.

"I know how much of an honor it is," said Severin, an affable, easygoing 23-year-old.

"I mean, the way they talk about Heath Miller at UVA is the same way they talk about him here. Heath is Heath. At UVA they call him 'Big Money.' His hands were top-notch. Herman Moore, kinda the same way. Those guys in our football program, those are the guys we idolize and hold to high standards, especially knowing Heath: on the field, great player; off the field, an even better person."

Severin got to know Miller through a mutual friend at Virginia: Severin's position coach and Miller's quarterback, Marques Hagans.

Severin is mentioned with Miller here not only because of the number, with which he was surprised by the Steelers, but because Severin showed off big, soft hands at the Steelers' rookie minicamp.

At Virginia, Severin caught 102 passes for 1,383 yards (13.6 avg.) and 13 touchdowns. The bulk of the production was compiled in his last two seasons. Last season he caught 54 passes to tie Herman Moore for No. 11 on the school's all-time list for catches in a season. Miller's 70 catches in 2003 ranks third.

But for all the talk about Miller, Severin probably has a better kinship with another former Steelers player, safety Ryan Clark. Both deal with sickle cell trait, meaning they are both carriers of the sickle cell anemia gene. But, Severin hopes that they suffer from it in varying degrees. Clark endured a near-death experience by playing in the elevated altitude in Denver in 2007 and had to miss the next four games the Steelers played there. Severin, who employs the same agent as Clark, believes he's developed a handle on his condition.

"I've talked to Ryan about it," Severin said. "And I've dealt with it. If you noticed my time in Virginia, my last two years were my best years. That's when I learned how to handle sickle cell trait. Nutrition is really important to me because of that. Because of sickle cell trait I have to. I'm at a disadvantage."

Severin went through two seasons with an increased susceptibility to fatigue that necessitated a prolonged recovery time. But he changed his workout routine and began living on a twice-per-day/every-day meal of chicken, brown rice and spinach.

It seems to have worked. After catching six passes for 46 yards and no touchdowns in his first two seasons, Severin caught 96 passes for 1,337 yards and 13 touchdowns in his final two seasons. And he excelled late in games against some of the top teams and players in the nation.

So much for fatigue.

And so much for any self-pity that comes with eating the same foods all day, every day.

"When you eat that every day and you have 11 for 150 against Notre Dame, when the whole world is watching, it makes you happy," Severin said.

Actually, he caught 11 for 153 scintillating yards in a narrow loss to Notre Dame. It's a series of cut-ups worth watching.

"I was in a different element," he said. "I was possessed that game."

Severin also caught eight passes for 116 yards with three touchdowns against Louisville. And his 36-yard touchdown catch in overtime against Syracuse propelled Virginia to a win in triple overtime. He also caught a touchdown pass at Heinz Field last season, and made a "must see" one-handed diving touchdown catch against Miami.

Yet, in spite of possessing the size teams covet in the red zone, and the way he overcame a potentially debilitating physical condition, with A+ character and blocking skills, as well as three years of experience as a core special-teamer at Virginia, Severn went undrafted.

He wasn't invited to the NFL Combine, and a minor hamstring injury caused him to skip his pro day workout. Scouts estimate his speed to be in the 4.6-4.7 range, which can work in the NFL with his size, wingspan and those soft hands.

Does the fact he went undrafted bug him?

"Nah, it doesn't bug me. It motivates me," Severin said. "I mean, shoot, if I can make this team it'll have happened for a reason."

Part of the reason Severn signed with the Steelers after the draft is because of their history of fairness with undrafted players.

"Exactly," he said. "But like you said, whether it's against a team like Louisville, with three touchdowns, or Notre Dame, or Florida State with (Jalen) Ramsey guarding me the whole game and me catching five for 60 with a touchdown, you just have to do it on the field.

"See what I mean?" he added. "Yeah, you got my blood boiling talking about all that stuff."

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1669092-steelers-sleeper-canaan-severin?preview=true
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents   Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents EmptyThu May 12, 2016 8:59 am

A hidden gem? Time will tell.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents   Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents EmptyThu May 12, 2016 10:40 am

Another great article 5-0, thanks for posting! Not to get to vulgar here, but this is another example that the Steelers are so good at scouting WRs, they are practically sh!tting talent at that position year in and year out.

History proves this kid is a longshot at making the roster. Because of the good scouting, the Steelers WR draft picks usually are good enough to make the roster, leaving the undrafted guys fighting for practice squad positions. But this year leaves a little more hope for these guys. Along with 7th round pick, Ayers, and a handful of other UDFAs (Shakim Phillips, Eli Rogers, etc), Severin has a chance to fight for that 5th WR spot. He was interviewed on SNR and came across as a very likeable guy. I hope he does well enough to find some type of roll with this team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents   Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers agree to terms with 10 rookie free agents
Page 1 of 1