Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss

Go down 
+14
WVABE
Atlanta Dan
stlrtruck
Steeler-in-west
DesertSteel
BlackAndGold
kirklandrules
jak341
solardave
fer69
IowaSteeler927
Fire Arians
El-Gonzo Jackson
Hawaii 5-0
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss Empty
PostSubject: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 3:07 pm

Steelers defend Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss

AP
Aug 19, 2016

Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 201608181826663855878-p2

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Landry Jones (3) throws a pass during the first half of an NFL preseason football game against the Philadelphia Eagles in Pittsburgh, on Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016

PITTSBURGH (AP) The Pittsburgh Steelers didn't put all the blame on quarterback Landry Jones for Thursday's preseason loss against Philadelphia.

Jones threw four first-half interceptions, including one that was returned for a touchdown. But the Steelers were quick to defend their backup quarterback following the 17-0 loss.

''Some of it was good plays by them and some of it was negligence by us, whether it's route-running or throwing,'' Steelers' coach Mike Tomlin said. ''I understand that it falls under his stat line, but those are unit plays.''

Second-year wide receiver Sammie Coates took the blame for Jones' first interception. It happened on the opening play of the Steelers' second drive when Nolan Carroll stepped in front of a pass intended for Coates and returned the interception 38 yards for a score.

''I should've come off that ball harder,'' Coates said. ''It was all my fault. Not on the quarterback at all.''

The second interception came at the end of a lengthy drive that saw Jones march the Steelers to the Philadelphia 8-yard line. Jones moved the Steelers 71 yards in 14 plays, picking up two third downs along the way before a Cobi Hamilton fade was broken up by Leodis McKelvin and intercepted by Malcolm Jenkins.

''It was a real good throw,'' Hamilton said. ''He couldn't put it any better. I just have to go up and make the play.''

It was a similar story on the third interception. Jones moved the Steelers 60 yards on 10 plays, converting two more third downs, but another pass intended for Coates was picked off in the end zone by Aaron Grymes.

''I didn't jump or do anything,'' Coates said. ''When the quarterback gives you a chance to go up and get the ball, you have to make the play.''

Jones absorbed a heavy hit and released a wobbly throw on the fourth interception, an easy one for Jaylen Watkins, who camped under the throw. Jones finished the game 12 of 20 for 111 yards with his four turnovers.

''You can't ever find comfort in those things,'' Jones said. ''It was probably as bad as it looked out there. You want to go out there and put your best foot forward and play the way you know you're capable of playing.''

Jones, the Steelers' 2013 fourth-round pick, took the bulk of the snaps last season when the Steelers played five preseason games. It was largely inconsistent at times, as the former Oklahoma standout mixed good and bad on the practice field with several up-and-down gameday showings.

But the extended preseason prepared Jones for his first meaningful regular-season action last season, as he filled in when starter Ben Roethlisberger missed time with a sprained MCL and bruised tibia. Jones rallied the Steelers to victories against Arizona and Oakland, but struggled during a loss at Kansas City.

That experience helped Jones enter his fourth season with additional confidence in his abilities and more time under center.

Tomlin has preserved Roethlisberger during training camp practices and sat his veteran quarterback for the first two preseason games, allowing more opportunities for Jones.

Jones seemingly took a step back Thursday, throwing four interceptions in a losing effort. Regardless, the 27-year-old quarterback plans to take the most recent outing against the Eagles as a learning experience and grow from it.

''Things like that are going to happen,'' Jones said. ''You are going to play bad. So, you learn from it and you move on.''

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/steelers-defend-jones-after-throwing-4-interceptions-in-loss-081916?cmpid=feed:-sports-CQ-RSS-Feed
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 3:38 pm

How could Tomlin say "I understand that it falls under his stat line, but those are unit plays."?? Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 2087824411

Doesn't he know that it was all Landry Jones fault?? In fact, I think Jones is responsible for global warming, the low price of oil and the zika virus.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 4:24 pm

I don't watch preseason games unless roethlisberger is in, and usually turn the tv off after the starters are benched.

preseason sucks anyway, cant wait for the real season
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 8:10 pm

Landry Jones on four picks: Things like that will happen

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: Aug. 19, 2016

The backup quarterback situation for teams like the Dallas Cowboys has led to years of handwringing. Even ardent Pittsburgh fans will admit the Steelers haven't exactly done a stellar job finding the occasional sub for Ben Roethlisberger.

Thursday's 17-0 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles was a reminder Landry Jones still doesn't look ready to be relied upon as Big Ben's insurance.

Entering his fourth season, Jones threw four interceptions on 20 passes. One went for a pick-six; two others happened in the end zone. Sure, it's just the preseason and Jones didn't have most of the starting playmakers on the field, but it's still a depressing display for a player who should be making strides at 27 years old. Instead, Jones looks like a project that might never get finished.

"You have to make it a learning experience," Jones said, per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "Things like that are going to happen. You are going to play bad. You aren't going to play like you want to. You learn from it and you move on."

Sammie Coates, who has struggled himself in two preseason games, took blame for not coming back to the ball and helping out his quarterback on the pick-six.

"It wasn't his fault," said Coates of Jones. "We have to make those plays for him."

That doesn't explain the other three interceptions.

Veteran Bruce Gradkowski is already dealing with a hamstring injury and, given Big Ben's injury history, the Steelers need confidence Jones won't make those same mistakes when the games matter if he's thrust into duty.

"We need to get better," coach Mike Tomlin said. "Sometimes it is playmaking by them and sometimes it is negligence by us."

Last season, the Steelers offense fell off a cliff when Roethlisberger missed four games. The Mike Vick experiment proved faulty, likely ending his career. Jones underwhelmed, lacking a big arm and command of the offense.

Not much seems to have changed in 2016.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000687482/article/landry-jones-on-four-picks-things-like-that-will-happen
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 12:17 am

Really don't know at this point what they see in Jones and why they defend this guy all the time. Besides the one hit wonder game against Arizona, he's done nothing to inspire confidence in him. He very nearly cost us the game against the Bengals, and in the most embarrassing fashion. He almost gave Burfict the complete satisfaction of knocking us out of the playoffs, which would've literally been insult to injury after the dirty hit on Antonio Brown, which knocked him out of the game.

The team needs to start looking towards other options on the free agency market, I'm very much worried about how much this team is going to be hurting should Roethlisberger get injured at any point in this upcoming season.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 12:22 am

"Dirty Laundry" Jones sucks ass let me practice for a year and ill be as bad as he is

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 6:45 am

I feel like if you read between the lines of what Tomlin said it goes like this: We like him,he stays. The promising part is they liked Blake also but eventually got rid of him. I honestly think Tomlin and Haley are thinking the "light" has to come on soon but I'm pretty sure the bulb's burnt out.

The guy throws a touch pass pretty good. Go back and look at how tight a spiral he throws. The problem is that makes it easier for the DB to catch. In Tampa they said Vinnie Testaverde was color blind. Truck can back me up on this. They had a billboard rented with Viking green background saying "Vinnie thinks this is orange". Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 1797695198 Maybe that's Jones' problem.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 8:02 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Really don't know at this point what they see in Jones and why they defend this guy all the time. Besides the one hit wonder game against Arizona, he's done nothing to inspire confidence in him. He very nearly cost us the game against the Bengals, and in the most embarrassing fashion. He almost gave Burfict the complete satisfaction of knocking us out of the playoffs, which would've literally been insult to injury after the dirty hit on Antonio Brown, which knocked him out of the game.

The team needs to start looking towards other options on the free agency market, I'm very much worried about how much this team is going to be hurting should Roethlisberger get injured at any point in this upcoming season.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 10:42 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
How could Tomlin say "I understand that it falls under his stat line, but those are unit plays."?? Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 2087824411

Doesn't he know that it was all Landry Jones fault??  In fact, I think Jones is responsible for global warming, the low price of oil and the zika virus.

Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 1549491426

Yeah, his receivers certainly looked pitiful in that game. Coats better get his act together because he's had two games with 4 turnovers attributed to his poor play. Just watching his play over the past two games, if that was the regular season, his play alone could have resulted in 2 losses. I like the guy and think he's got a ton of talent, but his play has been sloppy and lazy at best ... just damned pedestrian.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 10:45 am

solardave wrote:
I feel like if you read between the lines of what Tomlin said it goes like this: We like him,he stays. The promising part is they liked Blake also but eventually got rid of him. I honestly think Tomlin and Haley are thinking the "light" has to come on soon but I'm pretty sure the bulb's burnt out.

The guy throws a touch pass pretty good. Go back and look at how tight a spiral he throws. The problem is that makes it easier for the DB to catch. In Tampa they said Vinnie Testaverde was color blind. Truck can back me up on this. They had a billboard rented with Viking green background saying "Vinnie thinks this is orange". Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 1797695198 Maybe that's Jones' problem.

Look at the first preseason game where he throws the ball in a tight window over the LB but in front of the Safety ....that DHB drops.
Look at the similar throw to Bryant in the Cardinals game last year.
Look at the back shoulder throw to AB in the Cardinals game last year.

Plus there at the quick slants and crossing completions so far this preseason that were accurate and on time. That is what Tomlin and Haley see and believe he can be an adequate #2 QB. Fans need to watch more of the game than reading the statline or the tweets about guys who didn't watch Coates run a lazy curl and not come back to the ball for the first INT, or Jesse James Matador Pass Protection that caused the 4th INT.

What boggles my mind is the fans who get so pissed off about a 4th round pick backup QB that threw 3 TD's last year in minimal time, but somehow give a pass to 1st round pick pass rusher that had only 2 sacks while starting most of the year.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 2:42 pm

yes, hindsight is 20/20.

but we could have drafted Dak Prescott in the 4th round...
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 4:23 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
solardave wrote:

Look at the first preseason game where he throws the ball in a tight window over the LB but in front of the Safety ....that DHB drops.
Look at the similar throw to Bryant in the Cardinals game last year.
Look at the back shoulder throw to AB in the Cardinals game last year.

Plus there at the quick slants and crossing completions so far this preseason that were accurate and on time.  That is what Tomlin and Haley see and believe he can be an adequate #2 QB.  Fans need to watch more of the game than reading the statline or the tweets about guys who didn't watch Coates run a lazy curl and not come back to the ball for the first INT, or Jesse James Matador Pass Protection that caused the 4th INT.

What boggles my mind is the fans who get so pissed off about a 4th round pick backup QB that threw 3 TD's last year in minimal time, but somehow give a pass  to 1st round pick pass rusher that had only 2 sacks while starting most of the year.

I don't have the games you mentioned (and I don't think it's necessary to go on youtube) saved so I'll take your word for it. I said he throws a great ball and has touch. He doesn't complete enough passes for me to feel comfortable if Ben gets hurt and is out for awhile. And maybe Coates is lazy. This next game I hope after Ben gets his reps they put Jones in with AB and Wheaton,and Rogers with the starting O-line so we can see a real test.
Like it or not Jones is better than Gradkoski and Vaughn so I hope Ben stays healthy all year.

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 8:05 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
yes, hindsight is 20/20.

but we could have drafted Dak Prescott in the 4th round...

Of all teams, had to be the Cowboys to get him. Still early of course, but he looks good.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyMon Aug 22, 2016 2:52 pm

Week 2 preseason grades: Will Fuller, Terrelle Pryor dazzle

By Bucky Brooks
NFL Media analyst
Published: Aug. 22, 2016

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: Landry Jones, quarterback. Excuse me for being Captain Obvious, but the fourth-year pro deserves a failing grade after an absolutely awful performance against the Eagles on Thursday. Jones tossed four interceptions and failed to inspire any confidence in his skills as the Steelers' QB2. After watching him fail to seize the job for a second straight season, the Steelers might consider another option at the cutdown deadline.

GRADE: F

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000688859/article/week-2-preseason-grades-will-fuller-terrelle-pryor-dazzle
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyMon Aug 22, 2016 6:57 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

By Bucky Brooks
NFL Media analyst

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: Landry Jones, quarterback. Excuse me for being Captain Obvious, but the fourth-year pro deserves a failing grade after an absolutely awful performance against the Eagles on Thursday. Jones tossed four interceptions and failed to inspire any confidence in his skills as the Steelers' QB2. After watching him fail to seize the job for a second straight season, the Steelers might consider another option at the cutdown deadline.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000688859/article/week-2-preseason-grades-will-fuller-terrelle-pryor-dazzle

This dude needs to watch more tape Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 798776511

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyMon Aug 22, 2016 7:04 pm

fer69 wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

By Bucky Brooks
NFL Media analyst

This dude needs to watch more tape Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 798776511

Yes, Bucky Brooks once said that Jarvis Jones first step is so quick that he reminded him of Von Miller.  Bucky Brooks doesn't watch any tape, he just recycles what he hears in the media.

Fittipaldo had some insight into how they feel about Jones in his chat today. It definitely didn't come from Bucky Brooks analysis.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyTue Aug 23, 2016 12:16 am

Bucky's credentials notwithstanding, I agree with him. Jones sucks.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyTue Aug 23, 2016 12:36 am

Looking at the replays, he's a statue back there in the pocket and just locks in on the receiver or option 1. He needs to move his feet, buy a little more time, look off receivers, dump it off to the outlet man if he has too. this is what Ben did in his first year.

Yeah, if he continues to be a statue back there and lock in on target #1 we're in trouble; I hope Ben doesn't miss any games, but most of us know there's a good chance he misses one or two during the course of the season.

I hope the Steelers are looking around for another backup, at least for added insurance.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyTue Aug 23, 2016 8:47 am

fer69 wrote:

I'm sorry Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 1549491426 but I see the word "watch more tape" followed by this Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 798776511 Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 1549491426

And I can't help but wonder, what tape are you suggesting he watch? Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 1549491426

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyTue Aug 23, 2016 11:03 am

Let's trade all 7 draft picks next year for Dak Prescott!
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyTue Aug 23, 2016 11:56 am

DesertSteel wrote:
Let's trade all 7 draft picks next year for Dak Prescott!

Not having that 5th round pick left them unable to get Nate Sudfeld, Jake Rudock or Kevin Hogan. All 3 might have been a nice developmental guy over the next couple seasons, but that is what next year is for I guess. Jones will be the #2 and it looks like they will wait for Gradkowski to come back.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 11:34 pm

Landry Jones' stat line against the 'Aints:

19/22 for 206 yds, 1 TD 0 ints with a passer rating of 120.8...  Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 1647293567

Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 19kw91
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 1:07 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Landry Jones' stat line against the 'Aints:

19/22 for 206 yds, 1 TD 0 ints with a passer rating of 120.8...  Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 1647293567

]

What??? He couldn't complete the other 3 passes!! Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss 2625562446 He sucks. What a bust. Wasted pick.

Sad thing is that most fans wont notice. They just like to post a couple pages when he has negative results and maybe 4 posts when he does something well. Typical Steeler Preseason knee jerk.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 1:10 am

He had a game tonight, but it was against the Saints' defense. He needs to get more consistent. Hope this turns out to be a big confidence booster for him, because if Ben goes down this season, we're going to be relying on him to pick up where Ben left off.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss EmptySat Aug 27, 2016 7:31 am

He had a good game yesterday. I'll give credit where it's due. Now, string a few games together and I'll change my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss   Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers defend Landry Jones after throwing 4 interceptions in loss
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next