Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem

Go down 
+19
Wallace108
Vis
kirklandrules
WVABE
Steeler-in-west
SteelerFreak58
Fire Arians
FrancoLambert
SteelerSpartan
BKAnthem
stlrtruck
Craziaskowboi
effyou515
Master_Of_Puppets
schillah
OX1947
IowaSteeler927
El-Gonzo Jackson
Hawaii 5-0
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem Empty
PostSubject: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem

Villanueva was an active member of the U.S. Army from 2010 to 2013

“I just know I’m very thankful to be an American,” Steelers offensive tackle Alejandro Villanueva said.

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
August 29, 2016

Alejandro Villanueva said he feels as though he won the lottery three times every time he is paid to play a football game in America. And, no matter where he is or what he is doing, he said he stops and sings every word of the national anthem whenever it is played.

It is not easy for Villanueva, the Steelers starting left tackle and a player of Spanish descent, to see someone, particularly a millionaire athlete, not support the country where he lives and works. Especially when Villanueva spent three tours of duty in Afghanistan as a former Army Ranger and saw minority servicemen lose their lives fighting to protect U.S. freedom.

That’s why it’s difficult for Villanueva to not be critical of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who did not stand for the national anthem before Friday night’s home preseason game against the Green Bay Packers to protest what he called U.S. oppression against blacks and minorities.

“I agree that America is not perfect, I agree there are lot of issues with minorities in this country, I agree we should do something about it,” Villanueva said. “But I don’t know if the most effective way is to sit down when the national anthem of the country that is providing you freedom and providing you $16 million a year is the best way to do it when there are black minorities that are dying in Iraq and Afghanistan and protecting our freedom for less than $20,000 a year.”

Villanueva was an active member of the U.S. Army from 2010 to 2013 before coming to the Steelers. He was awarded numerous medals for his service, including the Bronze Star Medal for Valor. His father was a Lieutenant Commander in the Spanish Navy and also worked for NATO.

It bothers him Kaeperinick has a platform to express his opinion because of the military members who died protecting the very same freedom that allows him to express his opinion.

“I just know I’m very thankful to be an American,” Villanueva said Monday. “I will stand very proudly and sing every single line of the national anthem every single time I hear it. I will stop whatever I’m doing because I recognize I have to be very thankful to be in this country.”

“I tell my teammates all the time, especially when they talk about contracts, I’m one of the cheapest left tackles in the NFL [but] just by being an American I’ve won three lotteries. And if you have a little money on top of me, that means I have 3 ½ lotteries.

“I’ve been very fortunate to travel a lot and see what it’s like in different countries. I’ve experienced true racism that happens in Europe with a lot of minorities. It’s very difficult for me to be here in America, as grateful as I am, in the best country in the world, and have people not be pleased about it.”

Villanueva said he understands Kaepernick’s right to speak and act freely, even if people don’t agree with it. But, as an athlete who can use the media for a national platform, Villanueva said Kaepernick needs to be more careful.

“I think he’s obviously upset and I think we all agree, the majority of America would agree, there’s an issue with minorities in our country, the way some groups in our population are being treated,” Villanueva said. “I just think not standing up for America is a little bit unfair on his part because he’s not taking into consideration the minorities that are fighting for the flag, like myself, the thousands of people who lay their lives so he can express himself.”

Villanueva’s teammates agreed.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/08/29/Steelers-Alejandro-Villanueva-critical-of-49ers-QB-Colin-Kaepernick-decision-to-sit-during-national-anthem/stories/201608290128

Last edited by Hawaii 5-0 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 7:13 pm

Why is it that when Kaperneck says his problem is with how minorities are treated.........but everybody wants to make this into him disrespecting military servicemen/women??

Seems like one of 2 things:
1. Classic deflection from talking about issue of race, so they make it about military service.
2. Nobody is listening to what Kaepernick is saying, so they make it about their issues, not his issue. (first seek to understand, then seek to be understood- Stephen Covey)
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 7:41 pm

I take issue with that scumbag calling the police murderers and generalizing law enforcement based on the actions of the few and using his celebrity to force his ideals on everyone. I watch the NFL to escape the politics, and garbage the media spews.. Now I'm being forced to see it in my football. Enough is enough with this crap.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 9:06 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I take issue with that scumbag calling the police murderers and generalizing law enforcement based on the actions of the few and using his celebrity to force his ideals on everyone. I watch the NFL to escape the politics, and garbage the media spews..  Now I'm being forced to see it in my football. Enough is enough with this crap.

San Francisco Police Officers Association seeks apology from 49ers, NFL

Posted by Mike Florio on August 29, 2016

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem Sfpd-logo420

49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has explained his decision to not stand for the national anthem by pointing to the actions of certain police officers toward African-Americans and other persons of color. On Monday, the San Francisco Police Officers Association responded with a letter that criticizes Kaepernick for his views and asks his team and the league to apologize.

The letter, sent to 49ers owner Jed York and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, calls Kaepernick’s comments “ill-advised” and explains that the police officers “will not stand by while he attacks police officers in this country with statements such as, ‘People are on paid leave while people of color are killed.'”

The letter, signed by SFPOA president Martin Halloran, accuses Kaepernick of “an incredible lack of knowledge regarding our profession” and a “total lack of sensitivity towards police officer.”

“Ironically it is those officers who on numerous occasions have protected Mr. Kaepernick and have ensured that the venue where the NFL holds its events are fully protected,” Halloran writes.

“I only wish Mr. Kaepernick could see the emotional and psychological challenges that our officers face following a fatal encounter. Some are so affected they never return to the streets. In short, Mr. Kaepernick has embarrassed himself, the 49ers organization, and the NFL based on a false narrative and misinformation that lacks any factual basis.”

Halloran then points out that 40 police officers have been murdered in recent months, and that more than 100,000 law-enforcement officers have been assaulted in the past year. Halloran also cites “over 8,000 murders that African Americans have inflicted on one another in 2015.”

“The law enforcement community cannot be continuously blamed for all of society’s problems, including racial divide, in our country,” Halloran writes. “It isn’t fair and it isn’t true.”

Halloran specifically asks York and Goodell to “denounce [Kaepernick’s] foolish statements and separate yourself” from Kaepernick’s words and actions. Halloran also invites Kaepernick to visit the San Francisco Police Department Academy “and partake in any of the simulations that recruits participate in during their training.”

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/29/san-francisco-police-officers-association-seeks-apology-from-49ers-nfl/
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 9:08 pm

Blaming the few cops that do dirty is no different than blaming the black guy who commits a crime and condemning an entire race of black people. It's the same thing. You can not have it both ways.
Back to top Go down
schillah

schillah

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 9:21 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
the San Francisco Police Officers Association responded with a letter that criticizes Kaepernick for his views and asks his team and the league to apologize.

then what...they'll feel better?

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 9:54 pm

schillah wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
the San Francisco Police Officers Association responded with a letter that criticizes Kaepernick for his views and asks his team and the league to apologize.

then what...they'll feel better?

HAHHAAHHAHAHAHAH, seriously, when I hear or read the "We demand an apology". First thing I think of is a criminal who swears the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth on the witness stand.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 10:12 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Why is it that when Kaperneck says his problem is with how minorities are treated.........but everybody wants to make this into him disrespecting military servicemen/women??  

1. Classic deflection from talking about issue of race, so they make it about military service.
2. Nobody is listening to what Kaepernick is saying, so they make it about their issues, not his issue.  (first seek to understand, then seek to be understood- Stephen Covey)

watch yourself canuck ... or we may have to bring some freedom to canada... Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem 1664291743

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem 0ac
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyMon Aug 29, 2016 11:39 pm

like I said in the other thread its more about being butt hurt with his career in the toilet if he was a starter and had a great year last year he'd be standing with a big smile when the anthem be playing.

he has the right not to stand and I have the right to disagree.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 1:40 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

2. Nobody is listening to what Kaepernick is saying, so they make it about their issues, not his issue.  (first seek to understand, then seek to be understood- Stephen Covey)

watch yourself canuck ... or we may have to bring some freedom to canada... Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem 1664291743

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem 0ac

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem 3562723908

Is it too soon for a South Park reference??
Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem SouthPark_HumanShields
Back to top Go down
Craziaskowboi

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 7:44 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I watch the NFL to escape the politics, and garbage the media spews..  Now I'm being forced to see it in my football. Enough is enough with this crap.

You and me both. News, politics and current events are equal parts outrageous and depressing. I don't need, or want, football players reminding me of how shitty the world is, or, in Colin Kaepernick's case, how uninformed and full of shit so many people are. And it's a problem on both sides of the political spectrum; Colin Kaepernick's supporters are merely the yang to Tim Tebow's supporters' yin.

Yes, they really should shut up and entertain me, because that's exactly what they're paid to do. They're not getting paid to politicize. Their vote doesn't matter any more than mine, so their political views don't matter any more than mine, and nobody gives a shit about my political views, so why should I give a shit about theirs? There is no good reason why I should listen to their political views when most people will never even hear mine. Colin Kaepernick can shut up, Rashard Mendenhall can shut up, Philip Rivers can shut up, Chris Kluwe can eat shit and die, and thank God that hypocrite Mark Chmura was forced to to shut up. The Rooneys can zip it too, for that matter.

And no, I've never been one to ask for athletes or entertainers to be more outspoken, and it's high time for people to stop, because it's become painfully clear that most people only want those who share their political views to speak up, which is highly hypocritical. It's perfectly possible to make a difference without publicizing it; Ben Roethlisberger makes his difference quietly, and more famous people need to do the same. Or, in Kaepernick's case, actually make a goddamn difference instead of resorting to meaningless, horseshit gestures of rebellion and hashtag activism. A good start would be giving some of his 1,000 pairs of shoes to people who can't afford them.

Bottom line, keep politics the fuck out of football. Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem 2913999526
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 10:02 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Other than protesting the National Anthem, what is he doing to understand the issues for the people in his community? And truly what does he understand about their issues? He makes millions of dollars a year to play a kid's game.

What bothers me about his current decision to sit during the National Anthem isn't his protest, it's the fact he isn't doing anything else about it. Sitting down during the National Anthem, IMO, is disrespectful to the men and women who protect our freedoms daily. And while he's certainly within his rights to protest, I think if you're going to bitch and moan about it, then get your ass out in the community and make a difference.

Maybe the problem with Colin is he doesn't truly understand the issues he's trying to make a statement about. Maybe?

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 10:15 am

stlrtruck wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Other than protesting the National Anthem, what is he doing to understand the issues for the people in his community?  And truly what does he understand about their issues?  He makes millions of dollars a year to play a kid's game.

What bothers me about his current decision to sit during the National Anthem isn't his protest, it's the fact he isn't doing anything else about it.  Sitting down during the National Anthem, IMO, is disrespectful to the men and women who protect our freedoms daily.  And while he's certainly within his rights to protest, I think if you're going to bitch and moan about it, then get your ass out in the community and make a difference.

Maybe the problem with Colin is he doesn't truly understand the issues he's trying to make a statement about.  Maybe?

I too think that he should be doing something other than " using his voice for those that don't have one" in order to better the situation he is speaking about. Like organize meetings between police and ethnic minorities to discuss the issues. Maybe he will in the offseason or maybe he wont, but I imagine during season isn't the time.

But, people are making this about a protest against men and women who serve.....and that is not what is being done.

Melissa Jacobs of SI writes a good article here about the misconceptions.
http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/08/29/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-protest-49ers
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 1:07 pm

As an American he has a right to voice his opinion and displeasure anyway he sees fit as long as it's non violently...that what this country is all about...freedom to express yourself...I'm glad he's doing it, especially as a black man, and seeing black men get killed by people who are trained to be held to a higher standard ...and i respect it...just as i respect peoples right to disagree...that's what makes America great...
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 1:53 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Other than protesting the National Anthem, what is he doing to understand the issues for the people in his community?  And truly what does he understand about their issues?  He makes millions of dollars a year to play a kid's game.

What bothers me about his current decision to sit during the National Anthem isn't his protest, it's the fact he isn't doing anything else about it.  Sitting down during the National Anthem, IMO, is disrespectful to the men and women who protect our freedoms daily.  And while he's certainly within his rights to protest, I think if you're going to bitch and moan about it, then get your ass out in the community and make a difference.

Maybe the problem with Colin is he doesn't truly understand the issues he's trying to make a statement about.  Maybe?

I too think that he should be doing something other than " using his voice for those that don't have one" in order to better the situation he is speaking about.  Like organize meetings between police and ethnic minorities to discuss the issues.  Maybe he will in the offseason or maybe he wont, but I imagine during season isn't the time.

But, people are making this about a protest against men and women who serve.....and that is not what is being done.

Melissa Jacobs of SI writes a good article here about the misconceptions.  
http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/08/29/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-protest-49ers

I don't think it's a protest against the men and women who serve. I think it's a blatant disrespect to the men and women who serve.

I get what his protest is over, but IMO, he's carrying out the wrong way.

So instead of making his protest felt, it's just pissing people off due to it's disrespect (IMO).

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 3:05 pm

Even though i want to see the issues he raised be addressed, I could probably never voice my views that way.....I understand the military and vets were not what he was protesting about.....but for me, that's a time to show  thanks to them for all the sacrifices of the past and wish them safety in the future....and all that it has allowed here at home.

Back in high school during the Iraq war.....getting to travel around my state for baseball, doing all those national anthems, and seeing all these people and towns come out watch/play sports really etched it into my brain how fortunate I was....considering all the sh** that goes on in the rest of the world.

Of course we can and should improve but I wouldn't go about it this way.....However I also don't want people to not listen....people need to try and have a conversation.Not just stay firmly locked in their echo chamber trying to shout at the other side who is so far away they can barely hear or see them.

We have too much "Your viewpoints don't align with mine,so your probably a evil scumbag, who I don't need to listen to anyway" Going on.....Everybody(in general not this thread or board) is so caught up in defining the other before even engaging with them when dealing with political issues.....Made worse by the Internet IMO.....which is why I hardly ever wade into those things over the net.

Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 3:36 pm

OX1947 wrote:
Blaming the few cops that do dirty is no different than blaming the black guy who commits a crime and condemning an entire race of black people. It's the same thing. You can not have it both ways.

this isn't just about cops shooting unarmed people. it's about what happens after. if a cop shot and killed one of your UNARMED family members , who was pulled over for something as silly like a traffic violation , wouldn't you expect to see that cop severely punished , rather than just suspended with pay and later found to be not guilty of any wrong doing ?
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 4:29 pm

NFL Analyst Rodney Harrison says Kaepernick isn't even black. Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem 3562723908

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17423939/rodney-harrison-apologizes-saying-colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-not-black
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 5:01 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Gonz,

I think the connection is made because the national anthem is so closely associated with the military and those who serve or have served our country and he chose to make his personal statement by using the national anthem as his vehicle.

When you hear the anthem played or sung, what comes to mind first..... racial/social injustice or giving thanks for our freedom, our country and those who served to protect it.

From the reaction across the country it points to the latter.

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem 230572241
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 8:03 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Gonz,

I think the connection is made because the national anthem is so closely associated with the military and those who serve or have served our country and he chose to make his personal statement by using the national anthem as his vehicle.

When you hear the anthem played or sung, what comes to mind first..... racial/social injustice or giving thanks for our freedom, our country and those who served to protect it.

From the reaction across the country it points to the latter.

Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem 230572241

Not for Black People....for a long time we were treated as badly as people in 3rd world countries/Dictatorships while still serving the Military and saluting the flag, so for some of us it doesn't hold that same significance......Its funny, in the NFL you can be forgiven for so many things, Drugs, Domestic violence, killing someone...but staging your own silent protest that doesn't fit in with anything to do with the national anthem and you're a n***r all over again...it's like Gabby Douglas 2.0, because she was seen with her hand not on heart and caught all kinds of flack....but no one speaks on the fact that their were white American athletes that did the same.
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 9:44 pm

America made him a rich ass dude so he should stand or gtfo. Maybe play for the CFL and earn 50k a year instead of hating on the country that made him a wealthy man lol
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 10:44 pm

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Voltaire via Hall
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 12:04 am

He could've worked behind the scenes, attended protests, written to congressmen, even spoke at rallies...

...but he wanted to get attention

and he got it all right: simple and way easier
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 1:29 am

Black people commit crimes at a higher rate than any other ethnicity, I would never judge the entirety of their community based on the actions of the few but I'm sick and damn tired of hearing people call the police murderers, claiming that they're out there just shooting unarmed people willy nilly. That's a crock of crap, and the people making these claims are people that haven't walked a single day in the shoes of a police officer and have no understanding of what it is that that job entails. If you did then you'd understand that those of us who comprise the thin blue line, don't take kindly to rotten apples amongst our ranks, and you'd understand that just like any other profession out there, that unfortunately, rotten apples find a way in. We're all for prosecuting them but calling cops murderers, and saying "Black Lives Matter" as if they're more important than any other life is just beyond ludicrous. Look at all these landmark shootings that have spurred on this whole "movement". Michael Brown assaulted a store owner, assaulted and attempted to disarm a police officer, and ended up shot. Witnesses blatantly lied on Michael Brown's behalf saying he had his hands up saying "don't shoot" which was proven to be a lie. The officer was battered, and he was judged guilty and raked through the coals nationally by a media and public that denied him his constitutional rights to due process and ruined his life and career. Nobody cared about the facts though, the facts came out, and all these people incensed to hate the police just waited for another shooting to happen so they could carry on the negative narrative.

These impoverished communities need to stand up, accept accountability for their mistakes, and work to improve themselves so the police don't have to intervene when their kids join gangs and get involved in criminal activities. It's not the police's fault when people make the decision to become criminals. They're not racist, they're not out targeting any specific race, they're out targeting crime and it just so happens that crime is the highest within the black community. These problems need to be attacked at the roots, as it sits, people don't want to accept that, they just want to scapegoat the police. That's not to say the police don't mess up, because they do, but the problems with the police are few and far between compared to the problems at large with the black community, in particular the most impoverished communities nationwide. People want to generalize the police for a handful of questionable shootings, but when 60 people get shot as a result of gang violence in Chicago in one weekend... Nobody says a thing. These same protesters, who are crying "Black Lives Matter" were nowhere to be found when Louisiana was hit with horrendous flooding, but the police were out there saving lives and putting themselves on the line... The police stood in front of, and protected protesters from the shooter in Dallas despite the fact these very same people were the ones defaming them.

Either way, I just get sick of hearing this stuff. Day in and day out, good officers getting killed because of this negative narrative that has gone way, way too far. People are acting like it's 1950 and we have institutional segregation going on... I'm sick of being called a racist myself simply because I'm white and I have to tell people "no" in my career field. I'm the furthest thing from racist, my family is ridiculously diverse, and the group of friends and I hang out with and talk to are diverse just the same. Color of skin means nothing to me outside of these stupid political debates where you're forced to bring it up. To me race is a label, one that only creates division among people. We're all human beings, that's all that should matter.

As for Kaepernick, stand for the National Anthem and respect the flag and your country, and the people that have fought for it. If you want to protest do it on your own time instead of using your team and the league as a medium to push your agenda down everyone else's throats. You can go and stand for a cause in a respectable way, without being disrespectful to your country.

Last edited by IowaSteeler927 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 1:48 am

Football season is going to start in 2 weeks. He will be released right before and he will be gone. No one will care and barely remember this.

Like Obama said about Hilary Clinton in 2008, it will say anything and do nothing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem   Steelers' Villanueva critical of QB Kaepernick's decision to sit during national anthem Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next