Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomePittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft

Go down 
+5
jak341
Drizztbob
IowaSteeler927
kan_t
effyou515
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft Empty
PostSubject: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyWed Sep 27, 2017 3:12 am

Just setting this up way ahead of time to share mock drafts and discuss what kind of needs the team has going into the 2018 season.

Last edited by IowaSteeler927 on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyWed Sep 27, 2017 4:02 am

My Mock:

Version 1.0

1st Round - The Steelers select...

Josh Allen - QB - University of Wyoming - 6'5" - 222lbs - Projected 40 time 4.75

2nd Round - The Steelers select...

Akrum Wadley - RB - University of Iowa - 5'11" - 191lbs - Projected 40 time 4.50

3rd Round - The Steelers select...

Troy Fumagalli - TE - University of Wisconsin - 6'6" - 248lbs - Projected 40 time 4.67

4th Round - Traded to the 49ers for Vance McDonald and 2018 5th Round Pick.

5th Round The Steelers select...

Micah Kiser
- ILB - University of Virginia - 6'2" - 240lbs - Projected 40 Time: 4.70

5th Round (Received from 49ers in Vance McDonald Trade) The Steelers select...

Cole Reyes
- S - North Dakota - 6'2" - 215lbs - Projected 40 Time: 4.54

7th Round (Conditional from Giants) The Steelers select...

KC McDermott
- OT/G - University of Miami - 6'6" - 310lbs

7th Round The Steelers select...

Matt Elam
- NT - University of Kentucky - 6'7" - 360lbs

Josh Allen
- The Steelers were one of the teams with scouts present at the Iowa-Wyoming game in Week 1 of the College Football Season in 2017. They obviously have some kind of interest in Allen, who has ironically drawn comparisons to none other than Ben Roethlisberger. Allen has an elite arm, can make NFL throws, and will likely have a down year to finish 2017 after he lost his best receivers from the prior season. I believe this will lead to him falling to late in the 1st Round, or maybe even the 2nd Round. I think the Steelers will be rid of Landry Jones and will draft Allen as a possible heir to Roethlisberger's throne, and also as insurance should Roethliberger choose to retire following the 2017 season. Now is the time to be finding a replacement for our future Hall of Fame Quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger. I really like Allen and think that 2017 will end up being a down season for him production wise because of a lack of surrounding talent. I think his season will be similar to the season CJ Beathard had at Iowa for his Senior season, a forgettable one where scouts failed to recognize his talent because of the lack of talent Beathard had surrounding him. Beathard ended up getting drafted by San Fran in Round 3 of the 2017 NFL Draft which was a surprise to most everyone, except for Iowa fans. I think Josh Allen is in a similar situation this season, though he has always been more highly touted than Beathard ever was.

Akrum Wadley - With Le'Veon Bell having decided to hold out during the entirety of training camp in the 2017 season the Steelers may very well let him go following the 2017 season as the team has demonstrated in the past that they don't have patience for players with a me-first mentality. Wadley could fit the Bell mold. Wadley is a speedy running back with good field vision who can run the ball between the tackles, stretch the defense on the edges, and is a pretty prolific pass catcher out of the backfield. Wadley/Conner could make for an interesting running back combination should the Steelers choose to part ways with Le'Veon Bell in 2018.

Troy Fumagalli - The Steelers have been looking at weapons for the TE position, it's apparent that they want a TE who can catch the ball, and whom defenses have to respect. Jesse James has been somewhat inconsistent and hasn't shown a consistent ability to challenge defenses in the passing game. Vance McDonald was signed to close the gap but hasn't yet shown that he's consistent enough to be trusted through it's too early to tell just how effective he may be. I think whether or not the Steelers take a TE in the 2018 NFL Draft and where is entirely dependent upon how McDonald performs over the course of the season. Xavier Grimble has also been inconsistent as well, so I do expect the Steelers to look at TE as a position of need in the draft. Fumagalli has good size, good hands, quickness, and he comes from a pro style offense at Wisconsin. He's been a reliable TE for the Badgers, and a consistent player catching the football.

Micah Kiser - Kiser has been a force for Virginia at the MLB position. He is a stout run defender, and sure tackler. He doesn't have the fastest sideline to sideline speed but I think he will fit in well into a 3-4 defensive scheme playing alongside a speedier ILB (Ryan Shazier). Vince Williams hasn't been consistent enough in my opinion to have surely locked down the ILB spot, and Metekavich may be good depth but likely isn't starting material either. I could see the Steelers going ILB or OLB at this point in the draft to bolster depth at either position.

Cole Reyes - Reyes has been a very productive player for North Dakota and is said to have the size and speed combination necessary to play the safety position in the NFL. Because of his having played for a smaller school, I could see him being available at this point in the draft. With Mike Mitchell being a UFA in 2019, the Steelers could look to find a replacement to groom in 2018.

KC McDermott - Ramon Foster isn't getting any younger and McDermott may be able to play G or OT though he will likely be a project coming out of Miami.

Matt Elam - Elam is a huge NT. Let's face it, Daniel McCullers has been big disappointment, I could see the Steelers taking another NT late in the draft as a project. Elam would fit in the same mold as McCullers did, though he was not nearly as productive in college as McCullers. He will definitely be a project, but could be one that could pay dividends if he is able to get himself into better condition, and lose weight. In film that I've watched Elam is big and slow, but he is a space eater. With the right coaching, and conditioning he could be a good player though he is a definite reach. The 7th Round though, is usually where you see guys like this getting drafted, though I could definitely see Elam ending up as a UDFA.

Last edited by IowaSteeler927 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyWed Sep 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Steelers aren't getting their 20 million dollars worth so far out of Ben this year. Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft 3201610882 retire Ben and bring in some cheaper young blood.

same with Bell drugs and injury not worth 15 million dollars he's also looked like crap so far this year.

Mitchell needs to go with Gay behind him I'm all for a big fast young safety

an upgrade is a must at ILB.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyMon Oct 02, 2017 11:05 am

The next two drafts are supposed to be very deep at QB. Ben is going to retire after this season or next season. Don't try to get cute and spend another 4th round pick on a QB (I have nothing against Dobbs). Spend the first round pick on the most important position. And if necessary, trade up to get one.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyWed Oct 04, 2017 1:30 am

kan_t wrote:
The next two drafts are supposed to be very deep at QB. Ben is going to retire after this season or next season. Don't try to get cute and spend another 4th round pick on a QB (I have nothing against Dobbs). Spend the first round pick on the most important position. And if necessary, trade up to get one.

I agree, that's why I have them taking Joshua Allen. I think he could fit into this offense very well, and he's got size and intangibles similar to Ben.

effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyWed Oct 04, 2017 1:52 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
kan_t wrote:

I agree, that's why I have them taking Joshua Allen. I think he could fit into this offense very well, and he's got size and intangibles similar to Ben.

doesn't hit the short pass holds the ball to long on a 3rd down pass takes a sack then the teams out of field goal range. Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft 1689750825

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptySat Oct 07, 2017 6:32 am

effyou515 wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
kan_t wrote:

doesn't hit the short pass holds the ball to long on a 3rd down pass takes a sack then the teams out of field goal range. Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft 1689750825

Allen is a much better QB than he's shown this season. Film from last year is a more accurate depiction of his talent. Wyoming lost some very good receivers this year which has forced Allen to have to try and carry the team on his back. CJ Beathard had a similar issue at Iowa. Junior season he had more talent around him and we went 12-0 in the regular season. Senior season lost a lot of receiver talent and Beathard struggled. Nobody talked about him as a draft pick, everyone said he had a weak arm, makes too many mistakes, blah, blah, blah...

3rd Round Draft pick to San Fran who could end up starting this season.

effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 3:50 pm

How about Mason Rudolph (the red nose QB Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft 1797695198) 6' 5" 233lbs Oklahoma State.

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 5:14 pm

effyou515 wrote:
How about Mason Rudolph (the red nose QB Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft 1797695198) 6' 5" 233lbs Oklahoma State.

Rudolph is a pretty decent QB but I'm a little wary of Oklahoma State products. The last Oklahoma State QB prospect that was talked about coming into a draft was Brandon Weeden and look at how he worked out.

Just have a good feeling about Joshua Allen, but that's just me.

IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Just throwing this out there the Steelers again had scouts watching Josh Allen. Also Colbert and Kreider were at the USC/Notre Dame game, possibly to take a look at Sam Darnold.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/10/steelers-continue-show-interest-top-college-quarterbacks/

Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyFri Oct 27, 2017 10:59 am

Nice write up Iowa. I'm officially interested in watching more of Allen live.

jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyMon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 am

I was reading an article about the Indy Colts. Potentially, they could have the #2 pick this year. The Steelers could be in line to trade up. If they do, the article said the price would be:
29th pick this year (the projected place the Steelers would draft), a 4th this year, a 1st in 2019, and a 1st in 2020.

That is quite steep.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyMon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm

how about trading WR Bryant to the Bears?

the Steelers could trade him now and get a draft pick or wait till the end of the season and cut him his contract has a roster option for the 2018 season. the way he has been acting imo it is just a matter of time before he pops drug test.

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyMon Nov 06, 2017 10:18 am

I said it on Facebook like 2 months ago, but I really think that Ben retires this year, we let Bell walk, then go and pay Kirk Cousins on a 3-4 year deal with that saved money. This keeps our team relevant with a QB who has proven he can win bigtime games. That would dramatically change our top 3 picks if that happens...

effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyMon Nov 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
I said it on Facebook like 2 months ago, but I really think that Ben retires this year, we let Bell walk, then go and pay Kirk Cousins on a 3-4 year deal with that saved money.  This keeps our team relevant with a QB who has proven he can win bigtime games.  That would dramatically change our top 3 picks if that happens...

been posting the same thing imo he would be stupid turn down a playoff / superbowl team Steelers need a good game manager QB.

instead of reaching for a QB in this draft keep on drafting best player available then in another 3 years look at the free agent QBs that are available.

Steelers need a ILB OT OG and WR.

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 4:19 am

Drizztbob wrote:
Nice write up Iowa.  I'm officially interested in watching more of Allen live.

Thanks Bob, appreciate it. Yeah unfortunately you might not see much from Allen as he's lost a ton of the surrounding talent that he had last season. He's having a down year, but I still think the kid has the intangibles to be great at the next level.

kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 5:46 am

Josh Allen is a reasonable target. But Sam Darnold and Jose Rosen both have to declare for this year draft. Otherwise I don't the Steelers have any chance picking him.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 4:59 am

Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen both declared and so did Joshua Allen. Quarterback rich draft. Hard to say what will happen but the Steelers are obviously eyeing the future beyond Roethlisberger as they've scouted both Allen and Darnold. Makes me wonder if they'll go after a veteran option in free agency and run with Jones/Dobbs as the backups again, or if they'll build through the draft. Kirk Cousins may be available, and Alex Smith may be a potential trade option as well. So many variables. Ben might stay another year, or he might retire, I think what happens depends entirely upon what Ben does after this season is over.

Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 6:50 am

I think the Steelers will only draft a QB this year if Ben would retire, simply because they have much bigger needs right now. They already have 2 backups and I think they want to see the progression that Dobbs has made before they will draft another QB. If however for some reason they would draft one in the first round, I think Allen will be long gone (somewhere between 10 and 15 I guess). An interesting target at the end of round 1 could be Drew Lock.

But like I already said there are more urgent needs: 2XS (one starter to finally replace Mitchell and one who can hopefully fight with Sean Davis for the other starting spot), 2xILB (one starter and one quality backup), 1 TE who can fight for the starting job and 1 OLB for depth.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 2:58 pm

^^^

as the seasn has played out ILB, FS, and a TE is a must to hit on in this draft.

and a new Offensive Coordinator would be a big plus.

maybe the Steelers could get Arians of retirement. Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft 312503953

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyMon Jan 08, 2018 2:13 am

ILB is going to be a need, nobody knows if Shazier will ever be able to play again. I hope that he does, but only if it doesn't put him at an increased risk of serious injury again.

FS and TE are definitely a need. FS is becoming more and more apparent with Mitchell's play being incredibly inconsistent. I still like Mitchell because of his physicality and attitude but his coverage skills are mediocre at best. He's become a liability on the back end. Minkah Fitzpatrick out of Bama wouldn't be too shabby.

I was just reading through Walterfootball's 2018 Mock Draft. They have us at the 29th pick choosing Lamar Jackson. I guess I don't see the point of that, we already have that kind of QB on the roster in Dobbs and we don't really know what we've got in him yet. I mean I wouldn't write Jackson off completely but considering the fact that they were actually scouting Allen and Darnold in person I think that says a lot. Definitely going to be an interesting off-season and draft.

Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 4:06 pm

yep, we need two ILB's . vince williams is a back up, not a starter. there's a reason he's been on pittsburghs bench instead of starting for another team.

FS -mike mitchell is aweful. the guy can't cover...he can't recover, he to often fails to get the guy on the ground after contact. he gets more penalties than he does preventing the catch.

NT - the last few years the steel curtain has been replaced with aluminum foil. they can't stop ANYBODY. they've probably given up more rushing yards the last 5 years than they did the previous 10. so what's different ? well there's a whole new front 7 , but i believe the biggest drop off difference is the lack of big solid NT. hayward and tuitt are comparable to smith and kiesel. there is nobody on the roster that can carry big snack hamptons jock. the job of the 3-4 linemen is to keep blockers off of the linebackers so they can make the plays. that ain't happening. also shazier and williams are no comparison to farrior and timmons. not even close.

for years the steelers goal was to make an offense one dimensional . they no longer have that ability, and to get it back it starts right there in the middle of the line. there's 3 maybe 4 guys in this draft that could be the fatty we need, but i believe it will require a first rd pick to get one.

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 3:21 am

After watching that travesty of a football game against the Jagoffs... This should be a defense heavy draft. Bud Dupree is just a slightly better version of Jarvis Jones. He's probably a career backup at best. I thought he actually managed to regress this season. I think OLB, and ILB need to be a focus in the draft or free agency. Same goes for safety, Mitchell isn't hacking it. He can't cover, he takes poor angles, he misses tackles, and he commits costly penalties. He's been on a downward slide and I think it's high time that we bring in someone younger, and more athletic. Someone who tackles well, and doesn't make stupid mental mistakes over and over again.

If we had a good defense this team would be unstoppable. We have an offense that can beat anybody. Our defense was like a wet paper bag on Sunday. It was like watching the defense with Ike Taylor at the end of his career, and guys like Antwon Blake out there stinking it up. They couldn't stop a Jaguars team that only managed 10 points against the Buffalo Bills. They simply needed to stop Leonard Fournette and they couldn't even do that when they were stacking the box. I was really disappointed in how poorly Tuitt, Hargrave, and Heyward played. It was like watching an episode of the Twilight Zone. Those guys are usually pretty stout but they were getting flat out dominated all game long and they weren't making it any easier for our LBers. I've seen some bad defense from the Steelers over the past 5 years but this game took the cake. I can't believe they're keeping Keith Butler around and getting rid of Haley. I would've cleaned house on the both of them to be quite honest. Butler's defense was decent at times, but far too inconsistent and the amount of broken coverages and mental mistakes being made time and time again is inexcusable.

As for our secondary, I thought they were good at times this season, and horrible at others. Definitely much better when Haden was on the field. He's still a good player, and his veteran presence is much needed. That being said, Artie Burns hasn't impressed me. He makes way, way too many mistakes. Honestly, if I'm Tomlin/Butler I'd be having an open competition between Burns and Sutton to be the starter. Nothing motivates guys better to elevate their game than telling them that their job is on the line. He who handles the pressure better, and doesn't make crippling mistakes should be the starter.

Honestly the coaching staff as a whole needs to find their nuts, and get these players focused. How many times do we have to read headlines with players making idiotic, and selfish comments to the media that cause distractions for the entire team. It's getting really old. I have no problem with the run-of-the-mill stuff, but a lot of shit that these guys are saying is stuff that shouldn't ever make it out of the locker room. That's where the coaches need to put their foot down and say enough is enough and tell these guys if you don't want to follow the rules, you'll sit on the bench, or you won't be a member of this football team. They need to take a no-bullshit approach. If the goal is really to win a superbowl again, then man up and prove it.

Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptySat Jan 20, 2018 12:05 am

so then you don't think a NT is an immediate need ? fournette isn't the ONLY rb that's found the steelers front 7 had some broken links.

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft EmptySat Jan 20, 2018 4:41 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
so then you don't think a NT is an immediate need ?  fournette isn't the ONLY rb that's found the steelers front 7 had some broken links.

I think if the backers could fill their gaps then there wouldn't be as much pressure on Tuitt, Heyward, and Hargrave. Losing Shazier really hurt us defensively. He had a nose for the football, and game-breaking speed. He and Williams were playing well together. The defense got noticeably softer when Shazzy got hurt, and they brought in Spence off of his couch. A lot more issues with the defense after that, guys not lined up properly, confusion, missed tackles, open running lanes...

I think ILB is our most immediate need defensively. Followed by FS, and OLB. QB and possibly RB (depending on Bell's situation) are my top needs on offense. Even though Ben is staying I'd like to see them groom an heir apparent while we still have him. Landry Jones isn't starting material, and I haven't seen enough from Dobbs yet.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft   Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft Empty

Back to top Go down

Pittsburgh Steelers 2018 Draft
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next