Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell

Go down 
+6
effyou515
solardave
Great Randino
Drizztbob
LambertWardSteel
Wallace108
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell Empty
PostSubject: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said the Steelers will look at other kickers this week to replace Chris Boswell, who has missed 11 kicks this season, including six field goals.

Boswell missed two more in Oakland on Sunday, including a blocked 40-yarder on the final play in which his plant foot slipped.

But he also indicated the Steelers are not ready to give up on Boswell.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/12/11/chris-boswell-contract-steelers-free-agent-kickers/stories/201812110116

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 1:45 pm

You'd think this would be something they did or didn't do. Other than the bad field in Oakland his issues are likely mental. It doesn't seem like it would help Boswell any to have tryouts for other kickers, have that fail, then tell Boswell we're sticking with you go out there and make some kicks for us.

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Too much cap penalty. He's here till end of year no matter what unless we want to waste an additional roster spot on another kicker which is unlikely.

Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyTue Dec 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Keep Him.

Connect him with the best sports psychologist out there, my friend Dr. Stankovich (drstankovich.com), and help him get back on track.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 4:45 am

Ben saying it was the field conditions is not going to fly. These guys bring a shoe store on the road. They're out there at least an hour before the game to check the field out.
This is no different to a batter being in a slump in baseball. It's mental. I agree he needs some professional help. We have have to admit when he's on his game he's money.

I was right up there saying we should cut him but I was pissed and I was wrong.
Hell it's not like he's destroying paper towel dispensers at a Sheetz Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell 3798349058 but there is a mental issue and I think it can be fixed. Besides he's not the only reason we're losing.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 am

quit thinking so much just keep your head down and swing your leg and foot through the ball. Mr Boz.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 11:48 pm

This is the first I've seen names of kickers mentioned:

Chris Boswell: 'If you don’t do your job, they look elsewhere'

The Steelers finished practice at 3 p.m. Wednesday, and kicker Chris Boswell exited the field with the rest of his teammates to the locker room.

Shortly thereafter, free agent kickers Kai Forbath and Matt McCrane were warming up for a competition to see if they could unseat Boswell, who missed two more field goals in the 24-21 loss to the Raiders and watched his season percentage fall all the way to 62.5.

Boswell, who signed a $16.8 million contract in August, said he’s not surprised his job is up for grabs.

“That’s the nature of this business,” Boswell said. “We’re judged on stats and wins and losses. If you don’t do your job, they look elsewhere. It’s just the nature of the business, the world we live in.”

Forbath, 31, went 32-of-38 for the Vikings last season on field goals — three of those misses came from 50 yards or more — and 34-of-39 on extra points. McCrane, an undrafted rookie out of Kansas State, went 5-of-9 in three games with the Raiders, who released him after Week 6. In Week 11 with the Cardinals, he didn’t attempt a field goal but kicked three extra points, putting him at 8-for-8 on the season.

Full article: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/12/12/steelers-kickers-tryouts-chris-boswell-kai-forbath-matt-mccrane/stories/201812120157

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 11:53 pm

Jeremy Fowler just reported that they put Kai Forbath on hold, until they can figure out the Boswell situation - intimating that tomorrow could be an important day.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 5:14 am

Why do I feel like if they bring Forbath in and let Boswell walk Forbath will play good for a game or two and then we'll regret it while Boswell will get his head on straight and be lights out for someone else?

When is too early to give up on your kicker who is career wise 85% on FGs and 95% on EPs?

This is interesting. Justin Tucker leads all kickers from 2012 to 2018 in FG percentage @ 90.47%.Gould and Gostkowski are next @ 87%. Boswell is 12th on this list.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 6:57 am

solardave wrote:
Why do I feel like if they bring Forbath in and let Boswell walk Forbath will play good for a game or two and then we'll regret it while Boswell will get his head on straight and be lights out for someone else?

When is too early to give up on your kicker who is career wise 85% on FGs and 95% on EPs?

This is interesting. Justin Tucker leads all kickers from 2012 to 2018 in FG percentage @ 90.47%.Gould and Gostkowski are next @ 87%. Boswell is 12th on this list.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm

I keep thinking Boz will come around, but week after week he's awful and seemingly getting worse. Definitely a tough decision. He's been money for us in the past but right now he's killing us.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 9:29 am

There was a good suggestion that Stan Savern had during his weekly segment on the morning show: put Boz on IR for the year. Make up some bogus injury and shut him down. Bring in someone else for the last 3 or more games, with the promise of a fair tryout next season during camp.

There was a stat that was thrown out: Boz is the one worst in the league this year. 3rd to last in XP%, and dead last in FG%. Getting someone off the street is almost a 50/50 shot of being better.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/kicking.htm#kicking::20
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 2:24 pm

This was a tweet from Ed Bouchette today at Pitts Post Gazette:

Ed Bouchette wrote:
The Steelers are bringing in their former kicker Shaun Suisham to work with current kicker Chris Boswell

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 2:37 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:

Ed Bouchette wrote:
The Steelers are bringing in their former kicker Shaun Suisham to work with current kicker Chris Boswell

The first half of that tweet almost gave me a panic attack. Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell 2217377625

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 4:42 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
LambertWardSteel wrote:

Ed Bouchette wrote:

The first half of that tweet almost gave me a panic attack. Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell 2217377625

lol I guess this means the idea is to keep Boswell. I don't think that's a bad thing if he can get things fixed and back to the old Boswell. Maybe Suisham was somewhat of a mentor to him and will be able to straighten him out.

I always think of kickers as a little like closers in baseball. they can just lose it for a while. There have been closers who turned things around but I don't remember any kickers doing that....although I've not really seen many other than the Steelers. I remember in, 1981 I think, the Steelers had a kicker named David Trout that probably missed worse than Boswell this year. He ended up costing them several games that year.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 5:04 pm

David Trout in 1981 was was 12 of 17 in FG and 38 of 46 in XP.

That 81 season I always felt like was the last shot at "one for the thumb". All the dynasty guys were still there. Bradshaw broke his arm in game 14, the Oakland game. Cliff Stoudt the back up had broken his arm a short time before on a mechanical bull. That left Mark Malone to finish the season and they lost the last 3 to finish 8-8. Couple that with losing another 2-3 games due to the kicker and maybe they would have had a shot at 5.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Gotta love Pouncey

Steelers sticking with kicker Chris Boswell despite struggles

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers are sticking with kicker Chris Boswell for Sunday's matchup with the New England Patriots**, according to a source.

The Steelers kept veteran kicker Kai Forbath in town overnight after his Wednesday tryout, but Boswell performed well during Thursday's practice.

Boswell has missed 11 kicks on the year -- 10 of 16 on field goals, 39 of 44 on extra points -- including two key misses in Sunday's loss to Oakland. Boswell slipped on the Oakland Coliseum turf when approaching a 40-yarder in the final seconds.

But Boswell had been clutch since the team signed him off a tryout in 2015, including multiple game-winners for last season's 13-3 team.

Center Maurkice Pouncey said the team hollering after Boswell's makes in Thursday's practice was a way of supporting a valued teammate. Boswell said this week he planned to regain his confidence by focusing on the work ahead.

"That's our guy. He won five games for us last year," Pouncey said. "We love him to death. We support the hell out of him. Ain't no point in bringing in a kicker who ain't playing for 15 weeks, we have no feelings, no ties to him. He goes out and misses a kick, we're pissed off at that point. Boswell's a brother. I could see if he's the only kicker missing in the league, but look around."

Full article: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25527582/pittsburgh-steelers-sticking-kicker-chris-boswell

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 5:55 pm

I could see if he's the only kicker missing in the league, but look around."
I noticed a lot of guys missing FGs & XPs.It's actually been like an epidemic this year. Especially the first half.

Justin Tucker NEVER missed an XP. EVER and he missed one this year. FGs missed all over the place.

I really hope he turns it around. I think he knows it'll be a few games before the trust comes back. Like next year.
Back to top Go down
JPPT1974

JPPT1974

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Don't blame him all together for the misses. As really the field in Heinz not really good as Big Ben says. It seems a big contract for Chris B or anybody in the league really there has to be a curse going on.

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptySun Dec 16, 2018 7:35 pm

How about now??

Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell EmptySun Dec 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Idc that he made the 48yd kick, its his job. He needs to go. Hes gonna end up costing us a playoff game watch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell   Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers will 'explore' options to replace Chris Boswell
Page 1 of 1