Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023

Go down 
+2
SteelerFreak58
effyou515
6 posters
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2022 6:27 pm

Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023

At least the Steelers have 2 of 3 QBs with some mobility this season.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2022 7:14 pm

Rudolph isn't immobile
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2022 2:40 am

Not as mobile as the other two, watched his playing days at Oklahoma State pocket passer.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2022 4:51 am

The fact that they released Oladokun tells me Rudolph is staying and will probably be the #2 because any lower he'll demand a trade/release. Another scenario I can see happen is Rudolph playing a LOT against the Lions as an audition. Oladokun clears waivers and we trade Rudolph for maybe a 4th or 5th rd. pick.
Whether it's Trubiski or Pickett I think we'll see a lot of plays using a moving pocket. Both of them are accurate on the run and they'll be doing a lot of that.
I just hope at some point the Oline can at least open holes for Najee.
On defense we better be able to stop the run and Bush needs to shit or get off the pot. Right now all he's doing is shit!
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2022 5:44 am

solardave wrote:
The fact that they released Oladokun tells me Rudolph is staying and will probably be the #2 because any lower he'll demand a trade/release. Another scenario I can see happen is Rudolph playing a LOT against the Lions as an audition. Oladokun clears waivers and we trade Rudolph for maybe a 4th or 5th rd. pick.
Whether it's Trubiski or Pickett I think we'll see a lot of plays using a moving pocket. Both of them are accurate on the run and they'll be doing a lot of that.
On defense we better be able to stop the run and Bush needs to shit or get off the pot. Right now all he's doing is shit!

Honestly I think they should give Mark Robinson some snaps with the 1st Team Defense against the Lions. Bush looks exactly the same as he did all of last season. Slow to react, missing tackles, taking poor angles, and a liability in coverage. Mark Robinson has played like a man possessed and while he could still be a liability against the pass, he'll definitely be better against the run than Bush. I think Spillane/Robinson should share snaps opposite Myles Jack.

solardave and Stella Nation like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2022 10:41 am

solardave wrote:
Its kind of a dilemma to be sure. Its hard to justify having Pickett #3 on the depth chart when he's probably the best QB on the team. You bring up a valid point about Rudolph being #3 though. I think he's earned a shot, they should trade him so he gets an opportunity somewhere. Tampa has a really strong line and 2 very terrible backup QB's behind Moses Brady. Seems like we could make a deal there (they undoubtedly have a backup lineman on their roster that's better than some of our starters).

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 4:29 am

Great Randino wrote:
Tampa has a really strong line and 2 very terrible backup QB's behind Moses Brady.  Seems like we could make a deal there (they undoubtedly have a backup lineman on their roster that's better than some of our starters).

Probably not anymore since they've already lost 2 starters for the season so their line is really getting thin. I doubt they're willing to trade one of the few quality back-ups they've left now.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 5:09 am

Stella Nation wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
Tampa has a really strong line and 2 very terrible backup QB's behind Moses Brady.  Seems like we could make a deal there (they undoubtedly have a backup lineman on their roster that's better than some of our starters).

Probably not anymore since they've already lost 2 starters for the season so their line is really getting thin. I doubt they're willing to trade one of the few quality back-ups they've left now.

Didn't they lose their center Jenson for the year? Yeah they don't want Rudolph. Switching gears This short clip shows the problem with Kendrick Green. He's as bad cat LG as he was at center.

Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 5:30 am

solardave wrote:
Stella Nation wrote:
Great Randino wrote:

Didn't they lose their center Jenson for the year?

Yes, and their LG Aaron Stinnie too. And he was already Ali Marpet's replacement, who suddenly retired.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 5:32 am

A lot of teams are struggling with injured OL actually. Browns lost both their starting and back-up center for the season for example.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 6:30 am

At this point I hope our D is lights out. We are going to need some help from that side and STs. I just don't see us as a "balanced" team this year. I hope the Oline gels and proves me wrong but if we use Green and Moore as examples it doesn't look good.
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 7:02 am

We can be balanced if our OL can be semi-decent and that's a big if. Right now when looking at our starters I see 3 major problems:
1. Our OL
2. Bush/Spillane/whoever else is the ILB next to Jack
3. Alualu: He's 35 and coming back from a serious injury. It's far from a guarantee he will reach his previous level.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 8:04 am

just found this some good points are made.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2022 8:11 am

Stella Nation wrote:
We can be balanced if our OL can be semi-decent and that's a big if. Right now when looking at our starters I see 3 major problems:
1. Our OL
2. Bush/Spillane/whoever else is the ILB next to Jack
3. Alualu: He's 35 and coming back from a serious injury. It's far from a guarantee he will reach his previous level.

I'm as worried about ILB as Oline. I think trying to throw an extra safety in place of ILB is going to cause confusion so I hope someone steps up. I'd love to see Bush return to his rookie form but it sure doesn't look like he will.

I'm not as worried about Alualu because of Mondeau ( I know not exactly a starter) and Leal/Loudermilk both show promise. I think of the last 3 mentioned Leal will have the biggest impact.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2022 3:10 am

We need to solidify that left half of the o-line. I thought Dotson looked better than Green overall but he's not a huge upgrade by any means. Dan Moore is getting manhandled, consistently. He showed some improvement late last season but has taken what I feel is a very obvious step backwards. We can't have our LT playing that poorly, mobile quarterback or not it's going to get one of them killed when we face teams with decent pass rushers. They need to either gel quickly, and start to understand what Pat Meyer is trying to teach them, or we need to bring in some kind of competition.

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptySun Sep 04, 2022 3:48 am

I'm afraid this Oline will be as bad as last year. Is it the scheme? Is it JV players? Probably both. It would help at least a little if they could run block so Najee can do his job. The fact that he managed 1200 yds behind last year's line says it all. Imagine if he had holes to hit.
We're all talking about the QB running for his life but I'm afraid Najee may have a tougher time this year.

As far as ILB I agree with Iowa that Mark Robinson should take Bush's place or cat least be considered if Bush's play or lack of it continues.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptySun Sep 04, 2022 3:22 pm

To many Oline coaches over the last 4 years... losing Pouncey, Decastro and Villanueva and not spending high draft picks or FA quality caliber players is gonna screw this team up for a few more years. They might get into the playoffs but this current version doesn't have what it takes to put up points consistently.

Najee Harris will end up looking like a wasted pick running behind poor/mediocre blockers.

QBs are going to get hurt. It's just a matter of when and how bad.

Hopefully Khan will be taking some serious notes and plan accordingly to address its most glaring need right now for the future.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyMon Sep 05, 2022 2:56 pm

More on how badly the FO and Coaches whiffed on Green...

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/09/kozora-steelers-must-admit-their-mistake-on-kendrick-green/

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2022 5:19 am

All I can say is whoever is in at QB better ROLL RIGHT and throw on the run. Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 611739232

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyWed Sep 07, 2022 6:37 pm

Sad part is Trubisky is never going to get a fair shake. The minute he throws a pick the mouth breathing rabid Steeler fan base will be screaming for their savior Kenny Pickett...

Not saying Trubisky is the answer to all the teams issues but he really just is being set up to be a scapegoat if he doesn't play perfectly behind one of the worst Olines in the league if not the worst. It's a shame.

Rudolph is getting completely fucked over by the organization no two ways about it either.

effyou515 and solardave like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2022 4:14 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
Sad part is Trubisky is never going to get a fair shake. The minute he throws a pick the mouth breathing rabid Steeler fan base will be screaming for their savior Kenny Pickett...

Not saying Trubisky is the answer to all the teams issues but he really just is being set up to be a scapegoat if he doesn't play perfectly behind one of the worst Olines in the league if not the worst. It's a shame.

Rudolph is getting completely fucked over by the organization no two ways about it either.
I'll just say this in complete honesty: Pickett IS the best QB on the roster, right now. There is no question about it. Only thing he's lacking is NFL experience and reading ever-changing coverages and stunts.

That said, I really like Trubisky starting, he's got the experience and has shown great leadership. I for one will NOT be screaming for Pickett when he makes a mistake. Instead I'll let one of the NFL's premier coaches, Tomlin, make that call and will support the decision.

Regarding Mason R - that's life in the NFL. He's had a great preseason but the other two are clearly better than him. At some point he will get traded and have an opportunity somewhere. One can feel bad for his situation but he had his opportunities and was not able to take full advantage of them. Steelers haven't fucked him over, its just the way things go.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2022 5:01 pm

Great Randino wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

I'll just say this in complete honesty:  Pickett IS the best QB on the roster, right now.  There is no question about it.  Only thing he's lacking is NFL experience and reading ever-changing coverages and stunts.  

That said, I really like Trubisky starting, he's got the experience and has shown great leadership.  I for one will NOT be screaming for Pickett when he makes a mistake.  Instead I'll let one of the NFL's premier coaches, Tomlin, make that call and will support the decision.

Regarding Mason R - that's life in the NFL.  He's had a great preseason but the other two are clearly better than him.  At some point he will get traded and have an opportunity somewhere.  One can feel bad for his situation but he had his opportunities and was not able to take full advantage of them.  Steelers haven't fucked him over, its just the way things go.

IT'S A BUSINESS.....Rudolph should understand that. Most of the games he started the line sucked and it's no better now. He'd be hurt halfway through the first quarter. Why? Because he is not mobile. I also think Pickett is the best we have but with the line problems Trubiski is the better option because he has faced "varsity " players and I really think it will benefit Pickett to sit and learn all year if Mitch lives that long. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2022 5:31 pm

solardave wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:

I'll just say this in complete honesty:  Pickett IS the best QB on the roster, right now.  There is no question about it.  Only thing he's lacking is NFL experience and reading ever-changing coverages and stunts.  

That said, I really like Trubisky starting, he's got the experience and has shown great leadership.  I for one will NOT be screaming for Pickett when he makes a mistake.  Instead I'll let one of the NFL's premier coaches, Tomlin, make that call and will support the decision.

Regarding Mason R - that's life in the NFL.  He's had a great preseason but the other two are clearly better than him.  At some point he will get traded and have an opportunity somewhere.  One can feel bad for his situation but he had his opportunities and was not able to take full advantage of them.  Steelers haven't fucked him over, its just the way things go.

IT'S A BUSINESS.....Rudolph should understand that. Most of the games he started the line sucked and it's no better now. He'd be hurt halfway through the first quarter. Why? Because he is not mobile. I also think Pickett is the best we have but with the line problems Trubiski is the better option because he has faced "varsity " players and I really think it will benefit Pickett to sit and learn all year if Mitch lives that long. Rolling Eyes

imho, the Steelers showed and Mason had his best offseason, Best training camp held his own against some really good QB competition, and looked good in preseason games, come free agency time he'll cash into some money he's smart just talk the good talk. Free agency pick the team with a good o-line. Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 1797695198

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyFri Sep 09, 2022 4:34 am

FYI the Bills sacked Stafford 7 times last night and had 3 ints. We play them game 5. That's going to be a great game to watch ...and bitch....and cry. Actually by that time the horror that is our Oline will probably have set in so we'll be numb. Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 EmptyFri Sep 09, 2022 11:47 am

solardave wrote:
FYI the Bills sacked Stafford 7 times last night and had 3 ints. We play them game 5. That's going to be a great game to watch ...and bitch....and cry. Actually by that time the horror that is our Oline will probably have set in so we'll be numb. Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 1797695198
And think of how much more mobile Stafford is than Rudolph. At least our top two QB's can move out of the way (some of the time).

Yeah, its gonna be fun trying to stop Von Miller. He was a beast last night.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023   Tim Benz: Ways to address Steelers offensive line? Coach around it in 2022, make it better in 2023 Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1