Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeOne Story I didn't know Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

One Story I didn't know

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
solardave

solardave

One Story I didn't know Empty
PostSubject: One Story I didn't know   One Story I didn't know EmptyThu Dec 08, 2022 6:24 am

https://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered-dec-8-x9062
DAVID BOGNAR FROM GERMANTOWN, WI: How and when did the Immaculate Reception get its name, and who came up with it?
ANSWER: There are many who claim to have been in attendance at Three Rivers Stadium on Dec. 23, 1972, who weren't, but Myron Cope was there and had a hand in naming what now is recognized as the "Greatest Play in NFL History." Cope was the color analyst and Jack Fleming handled the play-by-play for the radio broadcast on WTAE-AM of the Divisional Round Game between the Steelers and the Raiders, and Cope wrote about how the play got its name in his book, "Double Yoi!"

Wrote Cope, "After the game, I dined with my wife, then drove to Pittsburgh's WTAE-TV studios to deliver a commentary on the game for the 11 o'clock news. Meanwhile, a Steelers fan in his late 20s, Michael Ord, was celebrating Franco's catch at a downtown bar fittingly named The Interlude. Boisterous fans toasted the victory. Ord climbed upon a chair and with a spoon tapped his glass for attention. 'This day,' he proclaimed, 'will forever be known as the Feast of the Immaculate Reception!'

"Then, to a friend, Sharon Levosky, Ord suggested, 'Call Myron Cope.' When my phone rang in the newsroom, I listened to Sharon's suggestion and said, 'That's fantastic. Let me give it some thought.' The Immaculate Reception? Tasteless? I pondered the matter for 15 seconds and cried out, 'Whoopee!' Having conferred upon Franco's touchdown its name for 11 o'clock news viewers to embrace, I accept neither credit nor, should you hold the moniker to be impious, blame."

Stella Nation and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: One Story I didn't know   One Story I didn't know EmptyThu Dec 08, 2022 4:10 pm

Nice.

I missed it when it happened. Story I've rarely told anyone...the game was on channel 11 I believe, and it was a really bad reception. The Steelers were heading for a loss and Child-me threw a little temper tantrum and got sent to my room. So the play happened and the Steelers won, and my mom called me out of my pergatory - er, room - to watch the replays.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: One Story I didn't know   One Story I didn't know EmptyThu Dec 08, 2022 5:37 pm

Watched the game the Steelers weren't moving the ball every well, had a sinking feeling the Steelers lost this one No then the  "Immaculate Reception" Franco running to the endzone touchdown One Story I didn't know 1645253483  then the refs run over to the phone One Story I didn't know 2087824411 never seen the refs use a phone during a game One Story I didn't know 2087824411 ref got off the phone and threw up the touchdown sign and everyone went One Story I didn't know 1645253483.

"Who did the ref call on the phone?" There was no booth reveiw of plays back then. One Story I didn't know 1797695198

And once again the truth is found

solardave and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One Story I didn't know   One Story I didn't know Empty

Back to top Go down

One Story I didn't know
Page 1 of 1