Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeO-line problem  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

O-line problem

Go down 
+4
solardave
IowaSteeler927
vasteeler
SteelerFreak58
8 posters
AuthorMessage
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyThu Oct 05, 2023 4:03 pm

I have bashed the FO for going cheap on the Oline and trying to do a patchwork job. They have made a lot of mistakes the last few years and it is coming home to roost.

You want to be a strong running team? Don't go draft a Guard in the 3rd round and try to make him a Center (Kendrick Green) as your replacement for Pouncey. Then follow that up with going and getting a backup Center/Guard in Mason Cole and expect to dominate...

Don't go try to get a 4th round tackle and turn him into an NFL starter in Dan Moore...

Dont give a guy like Chuks Okorafor a big contract when he didn't do that good of a job at Right tackle...

Mike Martz calling it out and the numbers don't lie... 31st in pass protection 28th running the ball ranked Oline...

Steelers went cheap on the one area you really shouldn't and it's all coming back to bite them on the ass...

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/10/former-nfl-hc-mike-martz-on-steelers-offensive-woes-theyre-just-awful-up-front/

solardave, IowaSteeler927 and Steeler-in-west like this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyThu Oct 05, 2023 4:23 pm

Oh and Munchack is out there and available just saying... sitting on the couch watching games...
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyThu Oct 05, 2023 4:26 pm

Wait... Don't you first have to have an o-line before there can be a problem?

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyFri Oct 06, 2023 3:42 am

The o-line play is about as bad as I've ever seen. These dudes can't do anything right. I agree with everything you've said Freak. I thought maybe after last season they've shown a bit of promise, and I thought Seumalo was going to be an upgrade at LG but so far he hasn't done anything but be worse than Kevin Dotson IMO.

One has to wonder, if coaching is to blame for how poorly these guys are playing, is it just the players, or is it a combination of both?

SteelerFreak58 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptySat Oct 07, 2023 5:37 am

This Oline is soft, lazy, and still we don't see any changes until one of these guys gets injured. There hasn't been very many times in the last 50+ years that I felt like I do now about this team. The last time was at the end of Chuck Noll's career. I loved him as a coach but the game had passed him by. It wasn't easy to watch Dlineman persisting with the bull rush when what they needed was technique.
If this is in fact Tomlin's last season here I'd be OK with it for the same reason except I don't think Tomlin has ever caught up with the game.
A coach who can speak eloquently about what went wrong while refusing to fix the problem ... it doesn't make him a "great coach"! Being a players coach to me means if my player is in the right I'll defend him but if he's wrong he can expect a swift kick in the ass.
Noll was a disciplinarian and that got us 4 superbowls.
At this point I don't think we'll even sniff another one while Tomlin is here. I think he's gotten way to comfortable.
He really should start referring to "the standard" as the "status quo"

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptySat Oct 07, 2023 9:00 am

Phil Simms pointing out the Oline is our biggest problem...

Pickett has happy feet... why he doesn't trust the oline...

Kenny is bailing on clean pockets... why he doesn't trust the oline...

Kenny isn't going through progressions... why he doesn't have time... and when he does he doesn't believe it.

Najee and Warren are getting hit constantly in the backfield...

Najee and Warren are having to squeeze through barely existing lanes...

The majority of the offensive issues are based on the performance of the Oline not saying all of them but a majority of them are.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/simms-change-coming-pittsburgh-steelers-struggle-ravens

solardave, Steeler-in-west and Great Randino like this post

Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptySun Oct 08, 2023 8:15 pm

That’s why I’m not bashing KP. He’s constantly under pressure. No running game, facing 5 sometimes 6 pass rushers. When he does have a clean pocket he’s fine, he finds the open man and his accuracy is there.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyTue Oct 10, 2023 7:17 pm

Once again Cole and Okorafor rated low... this is and has become a constant thing.
I like Cole he is a great backup Center but he isn't starting Center material and it's one reason our run and passing game are both suffering. Okorafor is just a backup RT at best.

Jones Herbig and Seomealu all worked above the line so that's a win. Jones did exceptionally well.

Moving forward I would let Jones stay at LT and move Moore over to RT and see if he does better then Okorafor.

Next year either bring in a star Center in FA that is under 28 or get a true 1st rounder that can set your running game up for success.

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/10/steelers-vs-ravens-week-5-pff-grades-and-total-snaps/

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyWed Nov 08, 2023 1:38 pm

This is the first I heard of this, but Okorafor benched for something he said rather than performance....

Quote :
Okorafor revealed after Thursday’s game against the Titans he was benched for something he said on the field in the previous week’s game against Jacksonville. Head coach Mike Tomlin termed Okorafor’s comments as “significant” during his weekly news conference on Tuesday, but Okorafor refused to say what he said Wednesday morning when he met with reporters before practice at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2023/11/08/pittsburgh-chuks-okorafor-benched-broderick-jones-nfl-week-10-rumors/stories/202311080060

SteelerFreak58

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyWed Nov 08, 2023 2:09 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:
This is the first I heard of this, but Okorafor benched for something he said rather than performance....

Quote :
Okorafor revealed after Thursday’s game against the Titans he was benched for something he said on the field in the previous week’s game against Jacksonville. Head coach Mike Tomlin termed Okorafor’s comments as “significant” during his weekly news conference on Tuesday, but Okorafor refused to say what he said Wednesday morning when he met with reporters before practice at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2023/11/08/pittsburgh-chuks-okorafor-benched-broderick-jones-nfl-week-10-rumors/stories/202311080060

Chuks got benched for playing like shit. He has had consistently low marks in run blocking and pass protection, and he has drawn a lot of penalties this year. Jones is the #1 pick and shown he can do better. If Chuks would have played better this wouldn't have ever been an issue. Should have made the most of his time. FO should never have given him that contract.

LambertWardSteel likes this post

Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyWed Nov 08, 2023 6:16 pm

chuks probably said...
" Mike you are the most overated head coach in history, and we will never sniff another conference title game  ,let alone a superbowl as long as you are in charge". you are also terrible at selecting assistant coaches . you suck at roster building.you constantly fail to get the most out of the talent you do have , often excluding them from your game plans, or just flat out refuse to use them in a way that highlights their strengths. god damn mike, you still aint figured out that throwing the ball to your TE's in the middle of the field can be effective, despite having TE's shred your defense all the time.
for fucks sakes Mike , you start bums like me and dan despite how bad we play while your first round pick is on the sidelines. stop living in your damn fears Mike. watching someone else play poorly isnt a substitute for first hand game experience. what? are they gonna play worse than we will ? get real you fuckin tard.

and then tomlin was like "dude, that is uncool. you know i dont believe in discipline or setting team rules of conduct, but you done gone to far. my expectations are pretty fuckin low, but you are a threat to my non losing season record. the fans are on to me and questioning my coaching abilities, so i got deflect the blame so i'm benching you.

solardave, IowaSteeler927 and LambertWardSteel like this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyWed Nov 08, 2023 7:55 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
LambertWardSteel wrote:

Quote :

Chuks got benched for playing like shit. He has had consistently low marks in run blocking and pass protection, and he has drawn a lot of penalties this year. Jones is the #1 pick and shown he can do better. If Chuks would have played better this wouldn't have ever been an issue. Should have made the most of his time. FO should never have given him that contract.

I think you're right. First off, when does Tomlin discipline players, and as you say, Chuks is playing poorly regardless. Maybe he managed to say something to get Tomlin's goat just as he was benching him for poor play anyhow  O-line problem  2981382511

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyWed Nov 08, 2023 7:56 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
chuks probably said...
" Mike you are the most overated head coach in history, and we will never sniff another conference title game  ,let alone a superbowl as long as you are in charge". you are also terrible at selecting assistant coaches . you suck at roster building.you constantly fail to get the most out of the talent you do have , often excluding them from your game plans, or just flat out refuse to use them in a way that highlights their strengths. god damn mike, you still aint figured out that throwing the ball to your TE's in the middle of the field can be effective, despite having TE's shred your defense all the time.
for fucks sakes Mike , you start bums like me and dan despite how bad we play while your first round pick is on the sidelines. stop living in your damn fears Mike. watching someone else play poorly isnt a substitute for first hand game experience. what? are they gonna play worse than we will ? get real you fuckin tard.

and then tomlin was like "dude, that is uncool. you know i dont believe in discipline or setting team rules of conduct, but you done gone to far. my expectations are pretty fuckin low, but you are a threat to my non losing season record. the fans are on to me and questioning my coaching abilities, so i got deflect the blame so i'm benching you.

O-line problem  3562723908

Master_Of_Puppets

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyThu Nov 09, 2023 5:14 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:
LambertWardSteel wrote:

Quote :

I think you're right. First off, when does Tomlin discipline players, and as you say, Chuks is playing poorly regardless. Maybe he managed to say something to get Tomlin's goat just as he was benching him for poor play anyhow  O-line problem  2981382511

for what it's worth, PFF has a much better grade on Chuks than they do dan moore. they have moore as the the lowest graded out of the olinemen. the big difference is chuks has more penalties. i'm assuming that the reason pickett rolls out to the right so often is because they have no faith that the left side of the line is gonna hold their blocks..
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyFri Nov 10, 2023 1:47 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
LambertWardSteel wrote:
SteelerFreak58 wrote:
LambertWardSteel wrote:

Quote :

for what it's worth, PFF has a much better grade on Chuks than they do dan moore. they have moore as the the lowest graded out of the olinemen. the big difference is chuks has more penalties. i'm assuming that the reason pickett rolls out to the right so often is because they have no faith that the left side of the line is gonna hold their blocks..

The left side can't hold their blocks and the right side just holds.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyFri Nov 10, 2023 12:58 pm

Stella Nation and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyFri Nov 10, 2023 1:49 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:

Hmm same vanilla plays getting called and getting stuffed because the defense knows what's coming at them... wonder where we have heard that before.

Chuks needs to run block better but I can understand his frustration for sure. 5 times last year from different teams defenses saying they knew what was coming... 4 times so far this year...

Makes it a lot easier on a Defense when it knows what the offense is gonna do that's for sure.

But hey 9-8 and Mike Tomlin has never had a losing season right? That's cool right?

Stella Nation and LambertWardSteel like this post

Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptyFri Nov 10, 2023 6:42 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
LambertWardSteel wrote:

Hmm same vanilla plays getting called and getting stuffed because the defense knows what's coming at them... wonder where we have heard that before.

Chuks needs to run block better but I can understand his frustration for sure. 5 times last year from different teams defenses saying they knew what was coming... 4 times so far this year...

Makes it a lot easier on a Defense when it knows what the offense is gonna do that's for sure.

But hey 9-8 and Mike Tomlin has never had a losing season right? That's cool right?

Yeah, if fans can sit on their couches and make good guesses what plays they're going to run opposing NFL players and coaches certainly can. I guess what we can surmise from this is: drive killing taunting penalties, not congratulating a teammate after a TD, or asking to be freed from the team are ok. Saying what everyone is thinking about the offense isn't, but is needed to give your #1 pick a chance to start.

Stella Nation and SteelerFreak58 like this post

Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  EmptySat Nov 11, 2023 12:46 pm

SteelerFreak58 wrote:
LambertWardSteel wrote:

The only trophy tomlin is playing for.

O-line problem  10_16_ChaiTime_Trophy

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

O-line problem  Empty
PostSubject: Re: O-line problem    O-line problem  Empty

Back to top Go down

O-line problem
Page 1 of 1