Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeIs it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)

Go down 
+3
vasteeler
SteelersYak
Wallace108
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) Empty
PostSubject: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 1:40 am

Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) X350

Is it time to 86 Hines Ward?

By Wallace 108
SteelersXtreme.com

Should Hines Ward be in the Hall of Fame? That’s a question I’ve heard numerous times over the years. But this week, a new question has arisen … should Hines Ward be in the starting lineup?

Before last Sunday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals, that wouldn’t have been an easy question to answer. But seeing how well Antonio Brown and Jerricho Cotchery played in Ward’s place, the answer became a little more obvious.

After taking a helmet-to-helmet hit from Ray Lewis the previous week, Ward was replaced in the starting lineup by Brown, who caught 5 passes for 86 yards against the Bengals. Ward caught 1 pass for 4 yards and then was pulled from the game. Having already been replaced in the starting lineup, Ward was then replaced in three-receiver sets by Cotchery, who ended the game with 2 receptions for 29 yards and a touchdown. A second touchdown was called back because of a penalty on Heath Miller.

When asked about Ward being benched and his future role with the team, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin didn’t give much insight. “It may not be any indication of his participation moving forward. It’s just an indication of his participation today,” Tomlin said after Sunday’s game. Tomlin gave the only answer he could give. Putting Ward on the bench couldn’t have been an easy decision. And whether to keep him there will be an even harder decision.

Ward is the most prolific receiver in Steelers history, holding the team records in receiving yards, receptions, and touchdowns. And he’s a Super Bowl MVP. But Ward’s legendary status goes way beyond statistics. Ward is the embodiment of what it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. He was a receiver who played with a linebacker mentality. He was just as happy to make a key block as he was a key reception, and he always put the team above his own success. Having played most of his career in a run-first offense, Ward didn’t have the opportunity to put up the same kind of numbers as some of his peers. And in the era of Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, and Terrell Owens, where big egos and big mouths equaled big contracts, it would have been easy for Ward to adopt a “me first” attitude. He could have left Pittsburgh for a more pass-happy offense and improved both his statistics and his bank account. But that isn’t who Hines Ward was. He didn’t care about the green. He cared about the Black and Gold. And his selfless attitude helped lead the Steelers to two championships. But that was then, and this is now.

Ward is in his 14th season, and it’s clear that age and injuries have caught up with him. He’s not the same player he was even a few years go. It happens to every player, even the great ones. And with several young, talented receivers behind him, it was only a matter of time before Ward was asked to accept a reduced role. So is that time now? Only coach Tomlin can decide that. But I think the evidence is clear. It’s time.

Oh, and to answer the original question … yes, Hines Ward should be in the Hall of Fame.

© Steelers Xtreme 2011

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.

Last edited by Wallace108 on Sat May 19, 2012 11:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 5:56 am

And don't forget the smile. That smile pisses off so many opposing fans.

Funny story about Hines: one of my buddies who is a Browns/Seahawks fan (he HATES the Steelers. In fact, he wore a cheese head to my place during the Super Bowl last year) was wanting to watch the Georgia game. We asked him why he is a Georgia fan and he said "This is really going to sound bad...". He went on to tell us that he is a Georgia fan because of Hines Ward.

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 7:15 am

great write up wally!!!

i hate to see him getting older but i guess none of us can escape it.

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 8:19 am

You know typically it has no impact on me when a player 'loses' that step and either moves on or retires.

However, there have been two players that have impacted me as I watched their game slowly fade...Rod Woodson, and now Hines Ward. It starts with 'THAT SMILE', and it goes to the field where he's not afraid to hit a defensive player (which I believe some thought was against the rules of the game). And ends at his leadership. He's a definite leader on and off the field. While there may be more talented and younger WRs on the team, none - at least for now - will be able to replace THAT SMILE or his leadership.

All I ask is that he be allowed to ride off in to the sunset a STEELER!

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:39 am

It's funny that you guys mention The Smile. I actually thought about working it in somehow, but then decided to save it for a commentary when he retires. He's not finished yet, so I didn't want to get too sentimental. Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) 3798349058

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:06 am

Wallace108 wrote:
It's funny that you guys mention The Smile. I actually thought about working it in somehow, but then decided to save it for a commentary when he retires. He's not finished yet, so I didn't want to get too sentimental. Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) 3798349058

When he retires, I think we should work together on an OP Piece. There's so much to write and say, and think together we would create one of the most electrifying pieces ever created, and most likely outshine any piece that the media hypes could create.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:11 am

stlrtruck wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

When he retires, I think we should work together on an OP Piece. There's so much to write and say, and think together we would create one of the most electrifying pieces ever created, and most likely outshine any piece that the media hypes could create.
Are you on drugs? Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) 3798349058

Yeah, we can do a collaborative piece, maybe something like everyone writes a few paragraphs about their favorite memories of Hines or something. I don't know ... we can kick around some ideas when he decides to retire.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 4:25 pm

I don't do drugs, I don't drink, but sometimes I do have lapses from previous usage.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 6:39 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
I don't do drugs, I don't drink, but sometimes I do have lapses from previous usage.

Or from inhaling the toxic fumes of his "beef stew". Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) 1797695198

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 4:17 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) X350

Is it time to 86 Hines Ward?

By Wallace 108

Should Hines Ward be in the Hall of Fame? That’s a question I’ve heard numerous times over the years. But this week, a new question has arisen … should Hines Ward be in the starting lineup?

Before last Sunday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals, that wouldn’t have been an easy question to answer. But seeing how well Antonio Brown and Jerricho Cotchery played in Ward’s place, the answer became a little more obvious.

After taking a helmet-to-helmet hit from Ray Lewis the previous week, Ward was replaced in the starting lineup by Brown, who caught 5 passes for 86 yards against the Bengals. Ward caught 1 pass for 4 yards and then was pulled from the game. Having already been replaced in the starting lineup, Ward was then replaced in three-receiver sets by Cotchery, who ended the game with 2 receptions for 29 and a touchdown. A second touchdown was called back because of a penalty on Heath Miller.

When asked about Ward being benched and his future role with the team, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin didn’t give much insight. “It may not be any indication of his participation moving forward. It’s just an indication of his participation today,” Tomlin said after Sunday’s game. Tomlin gave the only answer he could give. Putting Ward on the bench couldn’t have been an easy decision. And whether to keep him there will be an even harder decision.

Ward is the most prolific receiver in Steelers history, holding the team records in receiving yards, receptions, and touchdowns. And he’s a Super Bowl MVP. But Ward’s legendary status goes way beyond statistics. Ward is the embodiment of what it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. He was a receiver who played with a linebacker mentality. He was just as happy to make a key block as he was a key reception, and he always put the team above his own success. Having played most of his career in a run-first offense, Ward didn’t have the opportunity to put up the same kind of numbers as some of his peers. And in the era of Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, and Terrell Owens, where big egos and big mouths equaled big contracts, it would have been easy for Ward to adopt a “me first” attitude. He could have left Pittsburgh for a more pass-happy offense and improved both his statistics and his bank account. But that isn’t who Hines Ward was. He didn’t care about the green. He cared about the Black and Gold. And his selfless attitude helped lead the Steelers to two championships. But that was then, and this is now.

Ward is in his 14th season, and it’s clear that age and injuries have caught up with him. He’s not the same player he was even a few years go. It happens to every player, even the great ones. And with several young, talented receivers behind him, it was only a matter of time before Ward was asked to accept a reduced role. So is that time now? Only coach Tomlin can decide that. But I think the evidence is clear. It’s time.

Oh, and to answer the original question … yes, Hines Ward should be in the Hall of Fame.

© Steelers Xtreme 2011

I couldn't have said it better myself. When I think of a true Steeler of the past it is no less than Jack Lambert. Now it's Hines. It's sad to see this happen yet exciting to see the new guys step up. I'm also sure Hines will be the first one to say it was a GRRRREAT ride. He will always be one of my favorites and we are blessed with so many to pick from.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Hey, SD! Welcome back!

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Hey, SD! Welcome back!

Thanks Buddha. Had some computer problems and couldn't wait to get back and share my ignorance!!! Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) 1797695198
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 4:24 pm

solardave wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Hey, SD! Welcome back!

Thanks Buddha. Had some computer problems and couldn't wait to get back and share my ignorance!!! Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) 1797695198

It's OK. We covered for you. Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) 1664291743

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 5:25 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
solardave wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Hey, SD! Welcome back!

It's OK. We covered for you. Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) 1664291743

You guys are great!!! Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) 3562723908
Back to top Go down
Butch
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 5:18 pm

My all time favorite Steeler!!! He shoulda been able to play out his last contract. While many will tell me I'm crazy I say he's missed. IMHO he's better than Cotchery and his leadership is clearly missed. I was pissed that Ben never even once threw the ball his way in the loss to San Fran last year and then they threw him 2 bubble screens and he never got the ball again. I would not have begrudged him if he decided to go to another team but Hines is and always will be a Steeler. I have heard some say he lost a step. I don't buy that how can you lose a step when you didn't have one to begin with???

I miss Hines can't help but think he may have made a difference on this team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)   Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary) Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it time to 86 Hines Ward? (Xtreme Commentary)
Page 1 of 1