Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits Empty
PostSubject: Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits   Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 4:25 pm

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
NFL Network Insider
Published: Nov. 18, 2011 at 02:03 p.m. Updated: Nov. 18, 2011 at 03:42 p.m.

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin met with commissioner Roger Goodell and other NFL officials Thursday at the league's headquarters in New York to discuss recent statements and actions regarding player safety, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

The Steelers, through a spokesman, confirmed Tomlin, along with team owner Art Rooney, being in New York for a meeting at the league's headquarters. Sources said Tomlin was there to discuss rules geared at player safety, given the recent comments and actions of players, such as Pittsburgh safety Ryan Clark, who have been repeat offenders in receiving unnecessary roughness penalties for illegal hits.

“Mr. Rooney and Commissioner Goodell thought it would be a good idea to meet with our football staff and coach Tomlin to review on-field issues that have been the focus of discussion recently,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement.

Clark said recently that his hit on Baltimore Ravens tight end Ed Dickson, which resulted in a $40,000 fine, was used by the team in meetings as an example of a legal tackle.

(Read More:) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8243e368/article/steelers-tomlin-goodell-discuss-rules-regarding-illegal-hits?module=HP11_headline_stack

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits   Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Quote :
Other NFL officials in attendance included vice president of officiating Carl Johnson, assistant director of operations Merton Hanks and competition committee co-chair Jeff Fisher

GOOD then maybe the officials will be able to learn something too, and we'll all be happier after the BYE week. I doubt it, but at least Der Kommish covered his arse when he fines the entire Steelers organization for playing REAL football.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits   Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 5:12 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
Quote :
Other NFL officials in attendance included vice president of officiating Carl Johnson, assistant director of operations Merton Hanks and competition committee co-chair Jeff Fisher

GOOD then maybe the officials will be able to learn something too, and we'll all be happier after the BYE week. I doubt it, but at least Der Kommish covered his arse when he fines the entire Steelers organization for playing REAL football.

I doubt it will do any good. It will more than likely be like Obi-Wan and Yoda meeting with Darth Vadar and the Emperor to discuss their unfair treatment of the Rebel Alliance. It will only end up with heavier resistance from a horde of stormtroopers. Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits   Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Don Goodell: Now you come to me and you say, "Don Goodell, give me fairness." But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer to have your team play nice. You don't even think to call me Der Commissioner. Instead, you come into my office two days before my Patriots are to play, and you ask me to change my rules.
Coach Tomlin: I ask you for fairness.
Don Goodell: That is not fairness. The Patriots have won only three Super Bowls. The Steelers have won six.

Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits Godfatherdw

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits   Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Don Goodell: Now you come to me and you say, "Don Goodell, give me fairness." But you don't ask with respect. You don't offer to have your team play nice. You don't even think to call me Der Commissioner. Instead, you come into my office two days before my Patriots are to play, and you ask me to change my rules.
Coach Tomlin: I ask you for fairness.
Don Goodell: That is not fairness. The Patriots have won only three Super Bowls. The Steelers have won six.

Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits Godfatherdw

Coach Tomlin: That was a day when football was football. Remember, when you were just a young child, and you had dreams of playing football, a man's game, not this powder puff stuff you're directing!
Don Goodell: Now you insult my knowledge of the game. Your insubordinance and rudeness is about to cost you a #1 draft pick and any chance of making the playoffs.
Coach Tomlin: Don't you forget who made you Don...the Rooney's still have a say in this league
Rooney: Easy Coach, Roger remembers, and if necessary we'll make a call to Ireland.
Don Goodell: (in his girlie voice) That won't be necessary, uh, uh, I have another appointment, I'll get back to you next week.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits 3056903510

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits   Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 8:51 pm

What I'm having trouble reading into is the fact that both Goodell AND Rooney thought it would be a good idea to have the meeting with Tomlin. Where does Rooney stand on the issue? I remember Dan made some comments last season that sounded like he sided more with the players than Goodell. But I don't remember hearing anything from Art (not that he hasn't spoken publicly about it ... I just don't remember hearing anything). Am I reading this correctly? It sounds to me like they're ganging up on Tomlin to tell him that the Steelers WILL conform.

Quote :
“Mr. Rooney and Commissioner Goodell thought it would be a good idea to meet with our football staff and coach Tomlin to review on-field issues that have been the focus of discussion recently,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits   Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 9:13 pm

Yep, definitely some dissension

Quote :
Nov. 16, 2011 3:49 p.m. - by Jason Butt - Flacco, Rice disagree on offensive philosophy
While RB Ray Rice, without directly saying it, wanted more carries against Seattle, QB Joe Flacco maintained passing the ball against Seattle was Baltimore's best chance at winning. "If you have a three-and-out, at least you didn't eat up eight minutes of the clock and not get any points," Flacco said.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/16139889

Quote :
Nov. 17, 2011 3:05 p.m. - by Jason Butt - Dickson hopes a return to the run means more balanced offens
TE Ed Dickson thinks the Ravens' offense needs to get back to basics and establish the run. Baltimore ran the ball 12 times last week. "When you have a back like Ray Rice you have to run the ball," Dickson said. "We want to be more balanced more than anything." http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/BAL

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits   Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 9:55 pm

Headin' for self destruction, headin' for self destruction

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits   Steelers' Tomlin, Goodell discuss rules regarding illegal hits Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1