Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes Empty
PostSubject: Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes   Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 4:48 am

Thursday, December 01, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Lake Fong/Post-Gazette

They run the same scheme. They have the same coach. They again rank highly among NFL defenses.

But no one calls them Blitzburgh anymore, not even close. That was a term used to describe the mid-1990s defenses that included an architect named Dick LeBeau, defenses that rang up a team-record 55 sacks in '94 and 51 in '96.

When it comes to sacks, Zipsburgh might be a more appropriate way to describe them this season.

LeBeau's current defense -- ranked No. 2 in the NFL -- has only 24 sacks, just one in the past two games. That puts them on a pace for 35 for the full season, which would be their fewest since they had 35 in 2003, when they had a 6-10 record. They haven't had fewer sacks since 1990, when they managed 34.

Where has the sack gone in the Steelers' repertoire and could that be a reason the defense also has produced such few turnovers?

Help is on the way. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley went through his first full practice Wednesday for the first time since his hamstring was severely injured late in the game Oct. 30 against New England. At the time, he was leading the AFC with nine sacks, on pace to break the team record. He's still tied for second, just 1.5 behind rookie Von Miller of Denver even though he missed the past three games.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11335/1193737-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1fH6Yrk00

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes   Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 4:56 am

Wouldn't it be great to see him go on one of his late season tears with 1-2 per game? Love to see that!!!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes   Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 4:50 pm

solardave wrote:
Wouldn't it be great to see him go on one of his late season tears with 1-2 per game? Love to see that!!!

I can feel it coming. Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes 2421758519

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes   Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 6:13 pm

I'd rather he pace himself until the playoffs and then go off like a stick of dynamite!!

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes   Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 6:23 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
I'd rather he pace himself until the playoffs and then go off like a stick of dynamite!!

Why not both? Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes 2087824411

He should be well rested now. Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes 2981382511

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes   Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 8:30 am

the ever evolving Steelers defense,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes   Steelers strategy dictates fewer blitzes Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1