Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWhat's the difference? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

What's the difference?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
supytalpeht

What's the difference? Empty
PostSubject: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:17 am

Nearly identical in terms of formation,down and distance....

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-orleans-saints/09000d5d825feff8/QB-Brees-to-WR-Colston-25-yd-pass-TD
http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d8259f706/QB-Roethlisberger-to-WR-Brown-40-yd-pass

Try to put some thought into your response

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:33 am

You gonna make us do something we don't do much around here What's the difference? 1797695198

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:41 am

fer69 wrote:
You gonna make us do something we don't do much around here What's the difference? 1797695198

This place is "not just another football forum" and part of that is not to fall into the same old traps.
Back to top Go down
riccosuavez
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:43 am

Do not know what you are fishing for but I will bite. First Brees pass was picture perfect, one of those passes that a receiver only has to pull in and make sure his feet are down. Bens pass was not on the money and Brown adjusted slightly causing him to pull up a little.

Now Brees pass was 25 yards and Bens was 40 yards and while some will say that is not that much I can assure you that 15 yards or 45 more feet is a lot of difference in time, distance, and the way the elements affect the flight, not to mention it allows more time for a defender to get in better position. Brown was our best catcher of the ball this year and I would love to see a pass caught perfectly in stride but with Ben knowing he has about 1-2 seconds to make a decision and get rid of the ball I will take that kind of pass all day, after all we made a 40 yard gain. If we only get a FG instead of a TD than we either did not execute a play, another bonehead penalty, turnover, or the lack of a quality play.
Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:54 am

Quote :
Now Brees pass was 25 yards and Bens was 40 yards and while some will say that is not that much I can assure you that 15 yards or 45 more feet is a lot of difference in time, distance, and the way the elements affect the flight, not to mention it allows more time for a defender to get in better position. Brown was our best catcher of the ball this year and I would love to see a pass caught perfectly in stride but with Ben knowing he has about 1-2 seconds to make a decision and get rid of the ball I will take that kind of pass all day, after all we made a 40 yard gain. If we only get a FG instead of a TD than we either did not execute a play, another bonehead penalty, turnover, or the lack of a quality play.

They both traveled roughly the same distance through the air Brown. Brown added another 10-11 yards with his run after the catch. Colston also ran out of real estate. Nice try, but a bit off the mark.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:40 am

I'll throw in my two cents (keep the change):

1) In the Saints vs. 49ers, look at Drew Brees' motion, he was able to step in to the ball and deliver the ball to a more specific location, allowing his WR to get to the ball. The ball was delivered right to the WRs hands where he could catch it and continue down field, although (as you mentioned) he ran out of real estate - simlarly to Brown, it's just his real estate ended in the endzone. I believe also you'll see that Brees has more time to complete his pass, a better pocket of protection can do wonders for a QB.

2) In the Steelers vs. Browns, Ben is still hobbled by his high ankle sprain which means he can't get underneath the ball. If you watch his throwing motion, it's all upper body strength throwing that ball. Take in to consideration he couldn't step in to the throw, plus the inconsistency of the o-line, it makes for less effective passes. Watching Brown make that catch was like watching the circus, maybe it's his inexperience or it could be where the ball was going, not sure there, but he also ran out of real estate, and with what ended up being a 3-on-1 situtation, he got as much yardage as possible and ran out of bounds.

Really these two plays, comes down to only three things. One is the throwing motion of the QB and the other is the amount of time the QB has to throw the ball. The final difference is where the play was called and where the WR ran out of real estate.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION What's the difference? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Truck pretty much nailed. Our offense is basically the same as the Saints schematically . If we can just solidify the line even just a little and Ben can start delivering the ball on time we should be fine. I know their deliveries are very close, but that split second is basically the difference between getting the ball off clean and running for your life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference?   What's the difference? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's the difference?
Page 1 of 1