Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeEmbrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)

Go down 
+3
Wallace108
SteelersYak
Bays
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bays

Bays

Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) Empty
PostSubject: Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)   Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:13 am

Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) MikeTomlinPittsburghSteelersvDenverBroncosz_-yTd_KC5Zl

By Nathan Bays
SteelersXtreme.com

Looking back on the Steelers season, it seemed it was just business as usual for a team that goes into the playoffs as the team no one wants to play. They're a feared team all season long, and even more so in the post season.

This year, however, our Pittsburgh Steelers fell to the Denver Broncos in the wild-card round of the NFL playoffs. It hurt. It still hurts ... not as much that we lost the game, but how we lost the game. The Steelers fought their way back into the game but fell short in the end off an 80-yard touchdown pass in overtime. It was the first play of OT.

The Steelers went into the post-season with injuries all over. The 2011 season has been a season of injuries. But even with injuries plagueing this team, they still made it to the playoffs sporting a 12-4 record, similar to last year's run to the Super Bowl. You can say what you want about this team. You can call them old and slow. You can label them however you please, but this team is, and always will be, the team you FEAR to play, under any circumstance, at any time.
It's the joy that teams get out of beating the Steelers that's truly a testament of how good they really are. From Gatorade baths, to stomping Terrible Towels. It's evident to me that we're still a feared team in the NFL, and to be a fan of a team that is feared in this sport makes me a proud man.

You can be upset with this year's outcome. It sucks. But let's take a look back at what we've been rewarded with in recent years:
In 2005, Ben Roethlisberger led a veteran Steelers team through the playoffs, becoming the first team to win every game on the road and win the Super Bowl. It was a truly amazing feat for a young quarterback like himself to complete, and to this day it stands as one of just a few times a team has been able to pull it off, as the Giants and Packers have been able to do it in recent years. Sure, Ben's stats in that game may not have been great, but just take a look at what he did to on the road to get them their, it's truly remarkable.

In 2007, the Steelers began their first season under head coach Mike Tomlin. They came off an 8-8 2006 season, Cowher's last season. The Tomlin-led Steelers managed to go 10-6 and make the playoffs in '07. Although they exited the first round of that post-season, losing to the Jaguars, it's what happened the next season that truly rewarded Steelers fans. After adopting a new training regime for his Pittsburgh Steelers, Tomlin set his eye's on 2008.

In 2008, the Steelers advanced all the way to the Super Bowl under Tomlin in just his second year. The Steelers won the Super Bowl that year, making them the only team in NFL history with six Super Bowl championships. This marked Roethlisberger's second Super Bowl ring as the Steelers starting QB, and a second ring among remaining Steelers on the roster from '05. What a game that was. But now we're back to reality.
In 2009, the Steelers missed the playoffs completely, losing many "easy" games at the end to put an end to their post-season hopes. But then in 2010, they made it right back to the Super Bowl. They put up one hell of a fight all season long and did the very same in the playoffs, although they fell short in the end, losing to the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl. That same Packers team is 15-1 this year.

This 2011 season didn't really pan out the way we really hoped it would, but with injuries riddling the roster since day one, the Steelers really made a good run. A healthy Steelers team very well may have made it right back to the big game this year, but right now we can only hope for a better run next year. We've been gifted with many great seasons of Steelers football in recent years, and that's all we can really ask for. Keep it up Black & Gold, we'll be cheering you on again very soon.[/left]

©️ Steelers Xtreme 2012

This editorial is also located on the home page (Thanks Wally)

If you have an editorial, article or commentary of your own, annoy wallace for more information Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) 1797695198

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)   Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:34 am

Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) 1647293567 Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) 1647293567 Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) 1647293567

It is a testament to how good the black and gold are in how teams celebrate when they beat us. We can't make it to the Super Bowl EVERY year, but Steelers fans do expect the team to make the playoffs every year. That right there is a proof of the continued success of this team.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)   Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:04 am

For a long time now, we've gone into almost every season knowing that the Steelers have a legitimate chance of winning the Super Bowl. There are a lot of fans of other teams who can't say that. We've become spoiled. We expect greatness every year. Rather than being disappointed when greatness isn't achieved, we need to step back and appreciate all this team has accomplished over the years.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)   Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:28 am

We were a losing team from the 30s-70s and from that point on we've been one of if not the most successful franchises. 8 SB appearances and 6 wins. Countless division championships.

We as fans expect to win and when we fall short we vent and look forward to next year. If you are a true Steeler fan there is no cure, no 12 step program or rehab. We will carry this to our grave but what a great affliction to have.

We start craving the game right after the season ends, no matter how it ends. If I were a wealthy man I'd travel around to playoff sites (even though we aren't in it ) waving a terrible towel just to get thrown out by showing my support for this great team.

My wife calls me the #1 fan but I know I'm not. I know there are plenty of us out there and that's why I come back here pretty much on a daily basis because this is my medicine for my affliction that is "all good!" Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) 2981382511
Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)   Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 7:47 am

You're only a real fan if you can pass the thumper fan test.

It's great to be a Steeler fan.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)   Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:36 am

great write up bayz Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) 184121345

it is great to be a steeler fan

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
La Flama Blanca
Xtreme Newb
La Flama Blanca

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)   Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
For a long time now, we've gone into almost every season knowing that the Steelers have a legitimate chance of winning the Super Bowl. There are a lot of fans of other teams who can't say that. We've become spoiled. We expect greatness every year. Rather than being disappointed when greatness isn't achieved, we need to step back and appreciate all this team has accomplished over the years.

Spoiled??? I've lived through the Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, K Stewart and the list goes on years.. I remember shitty seasons and average teams. I was told Cowher was commenting on the fact that the Steelers won Super Bowls during the Bradshaw era and it has come full circle to Big Ben. So for those of us too young for Bradshaw and old enough to remember the 90's, he's saying seize the day! Hell I remember thinking of Tommy maddox as the greatest QB I ever remember in the black and gold.

The cliche "We know the standard" is starting to make me wonder..... What is the standard Coach? Prevent defense? this new two TE / empty backfield passing game?

Like the coach said "I'm still chewing on the meat from last week"

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)   Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

La Flama Blanca wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Spoiled??? I've lived through the Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, K Stewart and the list goes on years.. I remember shitty seasons and average teams. I was told Cowher was commenting on the fact that the Steelers won Super Bowls during the Bradshaw era and it has come full circle to Big Ben. So for those of us too young for Bradshaw and old enough to remember the 90's, he's saying seize the day! Hell I remember thinking of Tommy maddox as the greatest QB I ever remember in the black and gold.

The cliche "We know the standard" is starting to make me wonder..... What is the standard Coach? Prevent defense? this new two TE / empty backfield passing game?

I meant spoiled in the since that we've won six Super Bowls and have been in the playoffs nearly every season for two decades. And when we get knocked out early, some fans are jumping off bridges and want every player and coach fired. We've won six championships. We're not going to win every year. There are still four teams out there that haven't even made it to a Super Bowl yet.

Players and coaches have to stay hungry and not be happy with what they've done in the past. As fans, our attitudes don't affect how the team plays, so it's OK for us to step back and be appreciative.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)   Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:25 pm

vasteeler wrote:
great write up bayz Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) 184121345

it is great to be a steeler fan

Thanks! Got to give credit to Wally for the edits, And yes, it definitely is great to be a Steelers fan!

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)   Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
La Flama Blanca wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

I meant spoiled in the since that we've won six Super Bowls and have been in the playoffs nearly every season for two decades. And when we get knocked out early, some fans are jumping off bridges and want every player and coach fired. We've won six championships. We're not going to win every year. There are still four teams out there that haven't even made it to a Super Bowl yet.

Players and coaches have to stay hungry and not be happy with what they've done in the past. As fans, our attitudes don't affect how the team plays, so it's OK for us to step back and be appreciative.

Tomlin's decisions for the San Francisco game could be looked at many different ways, but it's about the only questionable decision he's made all year, and truthfully, since he's been the coach. Our Steelers just simply get the work done on the field, and with the injuries we've suffered, it's not surprising. What is surprising is that we sported a 12-4 record at the end of the season, and made it to the playoffs. Now, imagine a fully healthy Steelers squad?

PostSubject: Re: Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)   Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary) Empty

Back to top Go down

Embrace the success, be proud (Xtreme Commentary)
Page 1 of 1