Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?

Go down 
+4
solardave
SteelersYak
Wallace108
Bays
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Is Art Rooney ll qualified to run the Steelers?
Yes
Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? Vote_lcap20%Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
No
Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? Vote_lcap10%Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? Vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
No shit
Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? Vote_lcap10%Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? Vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Mark Madden's mentally ill
Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? Vote_lcap60%Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? Vote_rcap
 60% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 10

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Bays

Bays

Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? Empty
PostSubject: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 10:49 pm

By Mark Madden Times Sports Columnist |

Is Art Rooney II qualified to run a football team in any way that goes beyond his birthright?
That doesn't matter. The birthright does.

That truth was held to be self-evident this past week as the Steelers president, after doing a round of media self-promotion, decided to use his thunderbolts to smite Bruce Arians, relieving the offensive coordinator of his duties.
The Steelers say Arians retired. That's a lie. The Steelers decided to not renew his contract.

Read more...

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:05 am

Rooney isn't qualified to run the Steelers? Pffffft. Madden isn't qualified to be a journalist.

Quote :
Looking at the regular season, the Steelers were 12th in the NFL in yards gained, just 21st in points. Not a good contrast. But the Steelers' offense was doubtless hurt by a defense that collected just 15 takeaways, fewest in the league. The offense didn't get many short fields, or easy points.

Seriously? He's going to go the route of blaming the defense for the offense's lack of productivity? How about the 8 times this season when we had the lead and the ball with less than 5 minutes left in the game? All 8 times the offense failed to kill the clock or score more points to put the game out of reach. All 8 times the offense rolled over and needed the defense to bail it out and save the game. The defense was successful in 7 of the 8 games. Despite being put in difficult positions by the offense, the defense was still ranked No. 1. Turnovers are a luxury, and you can't always count on them. If the offense needs the defense to get turnovers in order to score points, I think that says a lot about the offense.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:09 am

The defense wasn't as dominant as we are used to in years past but Marsha and the Pats seem to be doing just fine without one.

I turned the game on for a bit and had the following thought "holy crap is it easy to be a QB in the NFL with the time and protection that Marsha has". I also have noticed how "easy" other QBs go down and how quickly they throw the ball away. If Ben did that every time they were in his face, his numbers would be 10 for 60 with 22 sacks.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:21 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
The defense wasn't as dominant as we are used to in years past
We had the No. 1 ranked defense. We were No. 1 in pass defense, No. 8 in rush defense, and No. 1 in scoring ... allowing only 14.2 points per game. How much more dominant does the defense need to be? I don't think it's fair to blame the defense for the offense's lack of productivity.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:26 am

Wallace108 wrote:
BGSU A Dub wrote:
We had the No. 1 ranked defense. We were No. 1 in pass defense, No. 8 in rush defense, and No. 1 in scoring ... allowing only 14.2 points per game. How much more dominant does the defense need to be? I don't think it's fair to blame the defense for the offense's lack of productivity.

No way in hell was it the defense that lost us game's this year. The offense didn't put up the points when the defense gave them the ball. However, this defense isn't as dominant as it was last year, and that's evident to me. Less turnovers. That says it all. Our pass defense bettered itself, and our rush defense wasn't as effective. You have to take into thought the changes that have been made on that defensive line, and really, the whole unit.

Our defense did it's job most of the year, and gave our offense PLENTY of opportunity's. That's all that matters.

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:27 am

For my assessment, I look beyond the numbers as numbers don't tell the whole story. IMO, I never really got the sense that the defense imposed their will on teams. Teams looked at us as old and slow and at times we did look old and slow. There were moments in the game that the momentum of the game was completely different because the defense didn't get off the field. We didn't take the ball away and it didn't feel like we put as much pressure on opposing QBs as much as they put on number 7.

I'm not saying by any means that the defense is at fault. It's unfortunate they were on the field for the last play of the season. My point is that as a fan, I didn't get the feeling that we were imposing our will on other teams on the defensive side of the ball (that doesn't mean you can't be a good defensive team).

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:30 am

I'm sorry I just REFUSE to think our defense had any part in our demise this season. The offense straight up went conservative when it could have won the game against the Rat's, and our defense was dealt a shitty hand. Not to mention the touchdown that won the game came off a fucking push-off, lol.

Bottom line is: Defense isn't as dominant as it was last year in terms of getting to the quarterback and creating turnovers, but it's improving in pass coverage. Next year our defensive line should be pretty much all new, so i'm hoping that works out. We need to get to the quarterback and create some fumbles.

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:32 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
For my assessment, I look beyond the numbers as numbers don't tell the whole story. IMO, I never really got the sense that the defense imposed their will on teams. Teams looked at us as old and slow and at times we did look old and slow. There were moments in the game that the momentum of the game was completely different because the defense didn't get off the field. We didn't take the ball away and it didn't feel like we put as much pressure on opposing QBs as much as they put on number 7.

I'm not saying by any means that the defense is at fault. It's unfortunate they were on the field for the last play of the season. My point is that as a fan, I didn't get the feeling that we were imposing our will on other teams on the defensive side of the ball (that doesn't mean you can't be a good defensive team).

It was evident to me that the intensity wasn't their all season, and it REALLY needed to be. We had the intensity in '08. Every match was a Five-Star matchup, because WE IN IT Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 1797695198

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:35 am

bayz101 wrote:
I'm sorry I just REFUSE to think our defense had any part in our demise this season.

I would agree with you but then I remembered that defense allowed Tebow to throw for 316 yards and allowed the Broncos to run for 131. I would say that was a part of the demise, but in no way would I say that they were more harm than good all season.

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 12:59 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
I'm sorry I just REFUSE to think our defense had any part in our demise this season.

I would agree with you but then I remembered that defense allowed Tebow to throw for 316 yards and allowed the Broncos to run for 131. I would say that was a part of the demise, but in no way would I say that they were more harm than good all season.

I'd say us being without Ryan Clark (Steelers leading tackler for this year), may have had something to do with it. Although, your right. One player doesn't make a team, and excuses aren't worth a dime.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:01 am

I get what you guys are saying, but the winner of a game isn't determined by who has the most turnovers or who imposes the most will. The winner is determined by who scores the most points. Our defense ranked No. 1, holding teams to 14 points a game. Our offense ranked No. 21 in scoring.

While our defense was consistently holding teams to 14 points per game, here's some of our offensive results:

7 points against the Ravens
10 points against the Texans
13 points against the Chiefs
14 points against the Browns
3 points against the 49ers
13 points against the Browns

Let's look at the scores of the 3 games against the weakest opponents (Chiefs and Browns):

13-9
14-3
13-9

In all three of those games, our defense kept the other teams to under 10 points. But in all 3 games, the opposing team had a chance to win the game on their final drive because our offense couldn't score many points. When our defense holds teams to point totals of 9, 3, and 9 ... those games should be blowouts.

Think back to the second Ravens game. The Ravens offense drove 92 yards to beat us. Their defense didn't get a turnover and give the offense good field position. The offense drove 92 yards on its own. The offense can't always count on the defense to give it good field position. The defense's main job is to keep the other team from scoring. And our defense was the best in the league at that.

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:08 am

Wallace108 wrote:
I get what you guys are saying, but the winner of a game isn't determined by who has the most turnovers or who imposes the most will. The winner is determined by who scores the most points. Our defense ranked No. 1, holding teams to 14 points a game. Our offense ranked No. 21 in scoring.

While our defense was consistently holding teams to 14 points per game, here's some of our offensive results:

7 points against the Ravens
10 points against the Texans
13 points against the Chiefs
14 points against the Browns
3 points against the 49ers
13 points against the Browns

Let's look at the scores of the 3 games against the weakest opponents (Chiefs and Browns):

13-9
14-3
13-9

In all three of those games, our defense kept the other teams to under 10 points. But in all 3 games, the opposing team had a chance to win the game on their final drive because our offense couldn't score many points. When our defense holds teams to point totals of 9, 3, and 9 ... those games should be blowouts.

Think back to the second Ravens game. The Ravens offense drove 92 yards to beat us. Their defense didn't get a turnover and give the offense good field position. The offense drove 92 yards on its own. The offense can't always count on the defense to give it good field position. The defense's main job is to keep the other team from scoring. And our defense was the best in the league at that.

Exactly. I refuse to believe it's the defense that lost us ANY games this year, but I also refuse to believe that not only the defense, but the team as a whole, possessed the intensity and passion to win it all this year, and we didn't. I mean, fuck. We held the Patriots to 17 points. If holding a team with Brady at quarterback to 17 points doesn't tell the story, noting will.

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:11 am

Wallace108 wrote:
I get what you guys are saying, but the winner of a game isn't determined by who has the most turnovers or who imposes the most will.

The winner of the game and those who impose their will generally go hand in hand. That's why teams try to "play their kind of game" and "control the tempo". Confidence and control go a long way in this league.

Wallace108 wrote:
When our defense holds teams to point totals of 9, 3, and 9 ... those games should be blowouts.

I don't think you can say "those games should be blow outs" in the NFL. They are all professional athletes. I do believe there are "should win" games, but again, that's why they play the game. If every game was played based on statistics and numbers, we would have a lot more rings on those fingers.

Wallace108 wrote:
The defense's main job is to keep the other team from scoring. And our defense was the best in the league at that.

Based on the numbers, your statement is one of truth. But numbers can be deceiving based on injuries, weather, and other factors. The defense is good, but not the best.

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:15 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
I get what you guys are saying, but the winner of a game isn't determined by who has the most turnovers or who imposes the most will.

The winner of the game and those who impose their will generally go hand in hand. That's why teams try to "play their kind of game" and "control the tempo". Confidence and control go a long way in this league.

Wallace108 wrote:
When our defense holds teams to point totals of 9, 3, and 9 ... those games should be blowouts.

I don't think you can say "those games should be blow outs" in the NFL. They are all professional athletes. I do believe there are "should win" games, but again, that's why they play the game. If every game was played based on statistics and numbers, we would have a lot more rings on those fingers.

Wallace108 wrote:
The defense's main job is to keep the other team from scoring. And our defense was the best in the league at that.

Based on the numbers, your statement is one of truth. But numbers can be deceiving based on injuries, weather, and other factors. The defense is good, but not the best.

Well, there's really no way this little blurb can be proven otherwise now, is their? Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 1797695198

Numbers may be deceiving, but their not opinions.

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:20 am

bayz101 wrote:

Well, there's really no way this little blurb can be proven otherwise now, is their? Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 1797695198

And my opinion matters most of all. Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 2800024739 Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 943753697

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:21 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

And my opinion matters most of all. Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 2800024739 Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 943753697

Gaga has a penis, mane Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 3562723908

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:24 am

bayz101 wrote:
Gaga has a penis, mane Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 3562723908

Not you too Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 1505004552 Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 2697857646

Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 3154193889 That's a hell of a tuck job
Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? LadyGagaNME

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:26 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

Not you too Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 1505004552 Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 2697857646

Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 3154193889 That's a hell of a tuck job
Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? LadyGagaNME

A very good one indeed. Now all the little duckling need's is a nose job!

Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 1647293567

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:29 am

She's not the most beautiful woman in the world, but I'm taking her home over 95% of the girls that college guys take home on a Saturday night. Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 1797695198

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:30 am

She's He's one hot fucking dude, i'll give her him that Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 2573146105 Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 2573146105 Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 2573146105 Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 3562723908 Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 3562723908

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 4:26 am

I missed something. How did we get from Art II being competant/incompetant to Gaga is really a man?

I agree the defense didn't spoil our season but we weren't feared this year like we have been in years past.

We need Donte Witner to replace Ryan Clark because apparently his helmet to helmet hits are "by the book"!! Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 2829330259 Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 611739232 I know don't get me started.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:55 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Rooney isn't qualified to run the Steelers? Pffffft. Madden isn't qualified to be a journalist.

Are you kidding?!? With hard hitting journalistic integrity and insight like this? Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 2829330259

Surely you are mad, sir! Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 1072540953

Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:20 am

Wallace108 wrote:
BGSU A Dub wrote:

After proclaiming how statistics don't tell the whole story you're going to use statistics to support the defense?Did you happen to check the offensive rankings our defense faced this year? (15,15,28,30,13,17,32,19,20th,20th,27,29,29,26,31,23)
The offense ranked 21st, but they also played 11 of their 16 games against teams with defenses in the top 10. Looking at it that way if person were being honest about it they would probably say our rankings on offense are deflated due to the schedule and the defense was inflated due to theirs.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:22 am

solardave wrote:
I missed something. How did we get from Art II being competant/incompetant to Gaga is really a man?

Don't worry Cosmic Dave, you will learn that a conversation about anything can turn into a conversation about anything. Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 294855916

We're not just another Steelers forum.
Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 1797695198

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:55 am

supytalpeht wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
BGSU A Dub wrote:

After proclaiming how statistics don't tell the whole story you're going to use statistics to support the defense?Did you happen to check the offensive rankings our defense faced this year? (15,15,28,30,13,17,32,19,20th,20th,27,29,29,26,31,23)
The offense ranked 21st, but they also played 11 of their 16 games against teams with defenses in the top 10. Looking at it that way if person were being honest about it they would probably say our rankings on offense are deflated due to the schedule and the defense was inflated due to theirs.

I figured you would go there. Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? 1664291743

It's not just about stats though. The object of the game is to score more points than your opponent. That's how you win the game. And our defense did its job by limiting our opponents, while the offense didn't always carry its weight. And strength of schedule is irrelevant. The defense can face only the offenses it is scheduled to face. And the defense did its job (except in two games).

But if you want to use the excuse that our offense ranked lower because it faced tough defenses, lets look at a few examples ...

I saw our offense struggle to put up points against the Broncos. Then the next week, I watched the Patriots drop 45 on the same Broncos defense.

We could score only 13 and 14 points against the Browns. Let's look at what other offenses scored on the Browns ...

Bengals ...... 27
Titans ......... 31
Raiders ....... 24
49ers .......... 20
Texans ........ 30
Bengals ....... 23
Ravens ........ 24
Cardinals ..... 20
Ravens ........ 20

And in case you play the "Ben was injured" card. Let's look at the Chiefs game. Once again, our offense could muster only 13 points against the Chiefs. Here's what other teams did ...

Bills .............. 41
Lions ............ 48
Dolphins ....... 31
Patriots ......... 34
Jets .............. 37

Even if we tack on Wallace's dropped TD, that's still only 20. And I know Moore fumbled inside the 10, but with our red-zone struggles, there's no guarantee we would have gotten a TD on that drive. So let's tack on 3 more. A possible 23 points against a team that had the Jets drop 37 on them. The Dolphins 31. And The Lions 41.

You can spin it anyway you want, but our offense wasn't getting the job done. And that's why Arians is no longer employed by the Steelers.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?   Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mark Madden: Is Rooney qualified to run the Steelers?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next