Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeCotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract

Go down 
+4
SteelersYak
Buddha Bus
Gingerchip
Wallace108
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract Empty
PostSubject: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:59 am

Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract 10559087-large

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

In the past year, Jerricho Cotchery has adopted two infant sons, scored the touchdown that forced overtime in a wild-card playoff game and dressed in his first professional uniform other than the Jets.

Now, the receiver is hoping to sign a four- or five-year deal to play out his NFL career with one team. And he wants that team to be the Pittsburgh Steelers.

After seven seasons with the Jets, Cotchery, wide receiver, rerouted to Pittsburgh on a one-year contract last summer. He will now be a free agent and said returning to western Pennsylvania would be “the ideal situation” — though he understands the Steelers’ salary-cap constraints.

“In exit meetings (with the Steelers), it was pretty much stated that they were very pleased with me, who I was on the field and off the field,” Cotchery said today at TEST Sports Clubs in Martinsville, which has newly partnered with Parisi Speed School. “I’m everything that they thought I would be, so from their standpoint, they definitely would want me back. And I expressed the same desire, so we’ll see what happens.”

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/02/former_jets_player_jerricho_co.html

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 1:58 am

I really like this guy.

He is an excellent receiver, a hard worker, and a really classy guy.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 3:03 am

Gingerchip wrote:
I really like this guy.

I probably know what you'll say, but if we can keep only one, who would you keep ... Ward or Cotchery?

This is one of those heart vs brain questions.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 4:16 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Gingerchip wrote:
I really like this guy.

I probably know what you'll say, but if we can keep only one, who would you keep ... Ward or Cotchery?

If it's only one, I have to say Cotchery. He's more talented than Hines right now and has more gas left in the tank.

Whatever happens, I just want Ward treated with the dignity and respect deserving of the legend he is here.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 4:44 am

Wallace108 wrote:

Ward, for the final year. Cotchery was good, but I can remember a few drops that left me scratching my head. Plus, I think Hines may work harder than ever if this is going to be his final year.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 7:33 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Gingerchip wrote:
I really like this guy.

Cotchery is the best long term answer. Ward is done he is trying to play one more year but he should of retired at the end of this year.
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 2:03 am

I'm not jumping on the "Ward is done" bandwagon.

Any receiver that can jump over an opponent is not done as far as I'm concerned. Arians has led everyone to believe that he is done.

Wallace -- you're right. Brain vs Heart decision. I adore Cotchery, I really do. But he too, has had back issues. Back surgery (even with a great outcome) is still iffy long term. Trust me on this. I know from where I speak.

I say Hines.

As far as treating him with respect -- they've already slapped him in the face. There was a recent article in the Pittsburgh Tribune about this very situation. http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_781346.html. To leave him hanging with all of these wild rumors -- a WR that has broken every single WR record, MVP, dedicated team leader and player, well I will never feel the same about the front office again, even if they do bring Hines back.

Crap or get off the pot Rooney - this is no way to treat this man.

If Hines goes to play for another team -- I hope to HELL its the Ravens. I will be sporting purple next year.

****** Cranky alert. I just read my post - boy am I a bitch tonight. Bad week, sorry guys.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 6:06 am

I don't think the Steelers are disrespecting Ward. How many free agents have the Steelers resigned thus far? I love Ward, but he should face reality here: he's the 36 year old #5 WR. He has the records, he has the SB rings, he has the love of the fans ... sounds like a great time to walk away. Why put the organization that gave you the opportunity in this position? If you think the Steelers are disrespecting Ward, then I assume you also think they are disrespecting Aaron Smith as well?
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 10:22 am

Aaron Smith is not Hines Ward.

Hines has been the face of the Steelers for 14 years. This is not just my opinion, but most of the articles I've read coming out of Pittsburgh are stating the same.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 6:50 am

Gingerchip wrote:

Hines has been the face of the Steelers for 14 years. This is not just my opinion, but most of the articles I've read coming out of Pittsburgh are stating the same.

You're right, Smith is not Hines Ward. See, Steelers Nation rallied around each player in the past few years. The difference in that support is Smith wasn't holding a gold "Dancing With The Stars" trophy, but held his son as they walked from the hospital after his son's last treatment. Smith, in a quite manner, has led volunteer efforts within the Pittsburgh community (grabbing the press is Ward's style, not Smith's). And you're not going to find a bigger locker room guy than Smith. Ward may garner more outward face time, but Smith is the guy the players look to. And Ward has not been the face of the Steelers for 14 years, but he has played that role since the Bus retired.

From a contract position, there is no difference between Smith and Ward. They both are the best at their position in Steelers' history (name a better 3-4 DE than Smith); they are both on the downside of their careers; both are at the ends of their contracts; neither have received indications they will be released or resigned. I'd say not being released up to this point is a good thing. That tells me the organization is looking into every possible scenario where that player may be a part of the team going forward. But isn't that the Steelers way, to review all options and make the right decision?

As for the press, well a large majority of articles would have you believe the Rooneys are these evil owners who are over-controlling and play dirty pool with players and staff. It was obvious to all that Arians was not living up to expectations, yet when he wasn't offered a new contract the local press reacted as if the guy was taken out back, beaten, then dumped in the Allegheny river. My point here is, use these articles for understanding of the facts, but know the articles are chucked full of opinions and speculation ... and those in the media do not have better opinions than you or I. Keep in mind, these guys have dinners and drinks with Bruce Arians, Hines Ward and other other players and staff. They don't have dinners and drinks with the Rooneys. So where are their loyalties and biases?

Here's an article you may have missed:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12045/1210001-87.stm

This might be just a difference between guys and girls, but you have to use reason not emotion. I loved watching Ward jack-up Ed Reed, make spectacular catches and dance his way to Super Bowl TDs ... all with a smile on his face. I loved watching Aaron Smith move two offensive linemen and still, somehow, get an arm around the running back. I loved watching Kirkland, Lloyd, Woodson, Dawson, Harris, Lambert, Swan, Bradshaw, etc, etc, etc and hated seeing them pull off the jersey. Seeing Franco Harris in a Seahawks jersey sucked about as much as his play on the field that season. There comes a time for the player to dump his ego and move on in life. The reality is there is going to be a 22 or 23 year old WR coming out of college that could provide the skills needed for this team to win games in the next 10 years and that guy won't have a chance if Ward (out of loyalty from the team) is clutching to the #5 WR spot. The Steelers took a chance on Ward by drafting him in the 3rd round when all other teams wouldn't take a chance on him (remember, in that year's combines it was learned that Ward was missing the ACL in his left knee). They showed plenty of loyalty by paying him well over the years and taking care of his needs. Ward should show some loyalty to the team, meet with them and say something like: "Hey, if you think this is the end of my career with the team, I can make it easy for you guys and retire a Steeler. No sense in putting you guys in the role of villain by forcing you to cut me.".
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 6:57 am

Back on topic, I think Cotchrey is a great receiver and the Steelers should find a way to sign him. He could have easily gotten more money out of another team, but came to the Steelers for the vet minimum because he wanted to be a part of this organization ... he bought the "Steelers way".
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 10:09 am

kirklandrules wrote:
Gingerchip wrote:

You're right, Smith is not Hines Ward. See, Steelers Nation rallied around each player in the past few years. The difference in that support is Smith wasn't holding a gold "Dancing With The Stars" trophy, but held his son as they walked from the hospital after his son's last treatment. Smith, in a quite manner, has led volunteer efforts within the Pittsburgh community (grabbing the press is Ward's style, not Smith's). And you're not going to find a bigger locker room guy than Smith. Ward may garner more outward face time, but Smith is the guy the players look to. And Ward has not been the face of the Steelers for 14 years, but he has played that role since the Bus retired.

From a contract position, there is no difference between Smith and Ward. They both are the best at their position in Steelers' history (name a better 3-4 DE than Smith); they are both on the downside of their careers; both are at the ends of their contracts; neither have received indications they will be released or resigned. I'd say not being released up to this point is a good thing. That tells me the organization is looking into every possible scenario where that player may be a part of the team going forward. But isn't that the Steelers way, to review all options and make the right decision?

As for the press, well a large majority of articles would have you believe the Rooneys are these evil owners who are over-controlling and play dirty pool with players and staff. It was obvious to all that Arians was not living up to expectations, yet when he wasn't offered a new contract the local press reacted as if the guy was taken out back, beaten, then dumped in the Allegheny river. My point here is, use these articles for understanding of the facts, but know the articles are chucked full of opinions and speculation ... and those in the media do not have better opinions than you or I. Keep in mind, these guys have dinners and drinks with Bruce Arians, Hines Ward and other other players and staff. They don't have dinners and drinks with the Rooneys. So where are their loyalties and biases?

This might be just a difference between guys and girls, but you have to use reason not emotion. I loved watching Ward jack-up Ed Reed, make spectacular catches and dance his way to Super Bowl TDs ... all with a smile on his face. I loved watching Aaron Smith move two offensive linemen and still, somehow, get an arm around the running back. I loved watching Kirkland, Lloyd, Woodson, Dawson, Harris, Lambert, Swan, Bradshaw, etc, etc, etc and hated seeing them pull off the jersey. Seeing Franco Harris in a Seahawks jersey sucked about as much as his play on the field that season. There comes a time for the player to dump his ego and move on in life. The reality is there is going to be a 22 or 23 year old WR coming out of college that could provide the skills needed for this team to win games in the next 10 years and that guy won't have a chance if Ward (out of loyalty from the team) is clutching to the #5 WR spot. The Steelers took a chance on Ward by drafting him in the 3rd round when all other teams wouldn't take a chance on him (remember, in that year's combines it was learned that Ward was missing the ACL in his left knee). They showed plenty of loyalty by paying him well over the years and taking care of his needs. Ward should show some loyalty to the team, meet with them and say something like: "Hey, if you think this is the end of my career with the team, I can make it easy for you guys and retire a Steeler. No sense in putting you guys in the role of villain by forcing you to cut me.".

Outstanding post, KR! I wish I could give you more than one rep point for it. Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract 1647293567

Smith has been an awesome player for us as has Ward. The only difference being, Smith has been unable to play a lot lately due to serious injuries. He can't seem to stay healthy and his time is no doubt up. I wouldn't mind one more year of Ward, especially if we lose Wallace or Cotchery or both. I think Ward has earned at least that.

Smith, on the other hand, used up his favors when the team saved a roster spot for him and he was unable to return. I commend Smith for everything he has done for this team and the community. He has been a true Steeler in every sense of the word and will be rightly remembered as such. I just can't make ANY argument or excuse for him to be on the team next season whereas I can go either way with Ward.

Regardless, I wish both of them well in whatever they decide to do going forward. They are both absolute warriors and Steeler legends who have nothing left to prove. Thank you guys! Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract 2276209185

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 1:45 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Gingerchip wrote:

This might be just a difference between guys and girls, but you have to use reason not emotion. I loved watching Ward jack-up Ed Reed, make spectacular catches and dance his way to Super Bowl TDs ... all with a smile on his face. I loved watching Aaron Smith move two offensive linemen and still, somehow, get an arm around the running back. I loved watching Kirkland, Lloyd, Woodson, Dawson, Harris, Lambert, Swan, Bradshaw, etc, etc, etc and hated seeing them pull off the jersey. Seeing Franco Harris in a Seahawks jersey sucked about as much as his play on the field that season. There comes a time for the player to dump his ego and move on in life. The reality is there is going to be a 22 or 23 year old WR coming out of college that could provide the skills needed for this team to win games in the next 10 years and that guy won't have a chance if Ward (out of loyalty from the team) is clutching to the #5 WR spot. The Steelers took a chance on Ward by drafting him in the 3rd round when all other teams wouldn't take a chance on him (remember, in that year's combines
it was learned that Ward was missing the ACL in his left knee). They showed plenty of loyalty by paying him well over the years and taking care of his needs. Ward should show some loyalty to the team, meet with them and say something like: "Hey, if you think this is the end of my career with the team, I can make it easy for you guys and retire a Steeler. No sense in putting you guys in the role of villain by forcing you to cut me.".

Well said sir!! Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract 2276209185

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Quote :
This might be just a difference guys and girls, but you have to use reason not emotion. This might be just a difference between guys and girls

Are you implying that "girls" do not have the ability to reason? So we are into stereotyping, are we?

I am just saying that none of the young receivers or Cotchery, for that matter, can block and make the plays that Hines can. He is not done imo. I certainly don't believe that the Rooney's are "evil" either. I also believe that if Hines really believed that he could not contribute in a big way, he would accept that and retire. He has always been "team first".
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 3:43 pm

get all the speed on the field at the WR position, make the DBs and a LB play the Steelers WRs and TE, make opposing defenses play with more 7 men in the box then running the ball becomes a little easier.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 3:44 pm

BGSU A Dub wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Ward, for the final year. Cotchery was good, but I can remember a few drops that left me scratching my head. Plus, I think Hines may work harder than ever if this is going to be his final year.

ME too. Hines for one more so we can get him a SB and maybe seal the deal for him in th HOF!!!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 3:56 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Gingerchip wrote:

You are right about most of your points. Here's the thing I see. Hines being in the spotlight is not a bad thing. Aaron Smith is a pillar of the Steeler community but let's face it he hasn't been on the field for 2 years. I love the guy and wish him all the best and especially his boy.
I still think Hines has some left in the tank and could help us for one more year. It's possible they'll restructure his contract and he'll still not make the final roster but the FO ought to try to make this his last stand.
I don't dislike Cotchery but he didn't show me a whole lot in the games I got to see. Maybe I missed his best games lastv year.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 5:45 pm

Gingerchip wrote:
Quote :
This might be just a difference guys and girls, but you have to use reason not emotion. This might be just a difference between guys and girls

Are you implying that "girls" do not have the ability to reason? So we are into stereotyping, are we?

lol, yeah, I left myself open to that. If this were a debate with any of my sisters I'd be speaking in a very high pitched voice right now.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 5:51 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Gingerchip wrote:
Quote :

lol, yeah, I left myself open to that. If this were a debate with any of my sisters I'd be speaking in a very high pitched voice right now.

Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract 1549491426

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract   Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract Empty

Back to top Go down

Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract
Page 1 of 1