Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers way works Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers way works

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers way works Empty
PostSubject: Steelers way works   Steelers way works EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 11:11 am

By Joe Starkey, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW

March Madness is upon us. So is the NCAA Tournament, but I'm talking about the first week of NFL free agency.

Did Pierre Garcon really just sign a $42.5 million deal?

Year in, year out, there is only one sure thing in the frenzied first week: The Steelers won't participate.

Why should they?

How can they?

The Steelers find star players in April, not March. Despite low draft positions -- they haven't chosen in the top 10 since 2000 -- they accrue winning talent, develop it and pay it.

That is why Ben Roethlisberger, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, Troy Polamalu and Heath Miller have contracts totaling nearly $300 million.

And that is why the Steelers have their faces pressed against the salary cap ceiling. They are once again innocent bystanders in the first week, basically standing guard in case anyone comes knocking for restricted free-agent receiver Mike Wallace.

It's remarkable, really. We have just witnessed the end of an era here yet have seen no appreciable dropoff and aren't likely to.

The Steelers, holes and all, are in position to contend again next season.

Read more: Starkey: Steelers way works - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_787120.html#ixzz1pTuplnpG
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's funny that I just saw this article. A few days ago, I was debating with a couple of guys on another board about whether the Steelers should go back to using a fullback. Their argument was that the NFL is now a passing league, and the Steelers have the weapons to be a good passing team, so it would be crazy to go back to an offense that utilizes a fullback. The last thing I said was:

Quote :
Over the past several decades, few teams have had as much success and have been as consistent as the Steelers. The reason for that success and consistency, in my opinion, is that they don't follow trends and try to be like anyone else. They do things their way. And I think the success they've had speaks for itself.

The point I tried to make is that the Steelers generally don't do things because other teams are doing them. The Steelers should continue to do things their way, and not try to be the Patriots, Saints, or Packers. Just be the Steelers. It's worked rather well over the years.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Steelers way works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers way works   Steelers way works EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 11:30 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Over the past several decades, few teams have had as much success and have been as consistent as the Steelers. The reason for that success and consistency, in my opinion, is that they don't follow trends and try to be like anyone else. They do things their way. And I think the success they've had speaks for itself.

The point I tried to make is that the Steelers generally don't do things because other teams are doing them. The Steelers should continue to do things their way, and not try to be the Patriots, Saints, or Packers. Just be the Steelers. It's worked rather well over the years.[/quote]

Exactly. How well did that "wildcat offense" that was all the rage about 2 or so years ago work out in the long run? Where's the "run and shoot" these days?

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers way works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers way works   Steelers way works EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 11:37 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
Exactly. How well did that "wildcat offense" that was all the rage about 2 or so years ago work out in the long run? Where's the "run and shoot" these days?
Yep. I didn't see us going with the West Coast offense as many teams did.

Funny story that ties in to the original article. I remember reading a story a while back where Marvin Lewis praised the Steelers for how they do things. He said they don't bring in high-priced free agents or players with off-the-field problems. He said they rely on the draft and look for good-character players. He really heaped the praise on the Steelers and said the Bengals need to emulate the Steelers Way. Then a few weeks later, the Bengals signed Tank Johnson. Steelers way works 294855916 Steelers way works 1664291743

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Steelers way works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers way works   Steelers way works EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 2:07 pm

I agree. Remember when they drafted Lambert? Every other team said he was too small to play defense.

My point is, and I've been saying this forever, that it takes more than talent -- it takes HEART (and that is where character comes in). IMHO that is where the Steelers have had the advantage over the years. Rooney and Company have a knack for sometimes picking the bottom of the barrel, yet they become superstars. Look at the 49ers --- not any real superstars on their team, yet Harbaugh (forgive me for this analogy) has made the team a superbowl contender. With the Steelers, no player is bigger than the team. It takes more than great talent -- it takes great ownership and great coaching too.

I also believe it takes locker room leadership. This is my main concern with the Steelers this year. They've let go of their main leaders.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

Steelers way works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers way works   Steelers way works EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 3:52 pm

ownership, scouting to find the talent that the coaching needs.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steelers way works Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steelers way works   Steelers way works Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers way works
Page 1 of 1