Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWard will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace Empty
PostSubject: Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace   Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 1:01 am

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Hines Ward had a message for Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace when the two talked about the latter's long-term future: don't just make it about money.

"I am always going to be his biggest fan, but it is a very special place to play here and I have been blessed to have played all 14 years here, so I just told Mike to keep it in that perspective," said Ward, who officially retired Tuesday.

Wallace is a restricted free agent, and the third-year veteran has an uncertain future with the Steelers. They offered him a one-year, $2.7 million contract — the highest that can be given to a restricted free agent — and they receive a first-round pick if Wallace signs with another team.

Giving up big money and a premium draft pick has prevented teams from bidding on Wallace though he can stay on the free-agent market for another month. Even if the Pro Bowler signs his one-year deal, there are questions about whether the Steelers will have enough salary-cap space to get a long-term deal done before the start of the regular season.

General manager Kevin Colbert said last month that Wallace is very much a part of the Steelers' long-range plans.

"I hope he stays and continues the rich tradition of wideouts here," said Ward, the Steelers' all-time leading receiver. "He is an explosive guy, and the sky is the limit for Mike."

Read more: Retired receiver Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_787521.html#ixzz1piy7mOMC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a really misleading headline. But the article has some good stuff:

Quote :
Ward said he doesn't know what is next for him, although he shouldn't have any shortage of options when it comes to television. Ward also said coaching could be in his future if he can learn to harness the emotions that served him so well during a 14-year playing career.

"Maybe down the road I might want to get into coaching, even though (Steelers coach Mike Tomlin) doesn't think I will be as great coach because of the passion that I have," Ward said. "I hope that I will always have Pittsburgh to come back to. I'd love to walk back into this building and still feel like I am a part of this organization."

Read more: Retired receiver Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_787521.html#ixzz1piycFUkZ

How awesome would it be to have both Lake and Ward on the coaching staff? Once Butler takes over as DC, maybe Ward can be linebackers coach. Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace 1664291743

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/

Ward will counsel Steelers speedster Wallace
Page 1 of 1