Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
fer69

fer69

Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout Empty
PostSubject: Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout   Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:54 am

The Pittsburgh Steelers were well represented at Friday's West Virginia Pro Day. Head coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert attended the workout. Most assumed they were there to scout pass rusher Bruce Irvin, linebacker Najae Goode or any number of the Mountaineer prospects hoping to hear their name called out next April.

Instead, the powerful duo were so overcome by a strong workout put forth by a former Mountaineer that they signed him.

Virtually all of the hype during Pro Day workouts is centered around prospects from the current draft class. Fullback Will Johnson, who used up his collegiate eligibility in 2011 but wasn't drafted, returned to the West Virginia University campus Friday to try one more time to impress scouts. This type of thing happens all the time. When I attended the University of Washington Pro Day March 8, there were several former Huskies from previous graduating classes hoping to impress the scouts on hand. A few members of the media there asked me if I'd ever seen a prospect get signed after one of these workouts. I wasn't able to recall one off the top of my head. The Steelers solved that problem by signing former WVU tight end Will Johnson to a deal Monday, according to a report from Geoff Coyle of WVillustrated.com, a fan site focused on West Virginia University athletics.

Johnson, a 6-2, 240 pound tight end for the Mountaineers from 2007-2010, worked out as a tight end and running back on Monday. He was unofficially clocked at 4.49 seconds in the 40-yard dash and led all athletes tested with 30 repetitions of 225 pounds.

The Steelers' contingent thought enough of Johnson's workout to speak to him immediately after the Pro Day ended.

"When I got done running my routes, I was over there talking to [Tomlin] and he wanted me to keep it a secret so the other teams didn't know," Johnson said. "They said they liked what I did, they liked how I look and they wanted to bring me up and sign me."

For more details on Johnson's improbable come-back story, including the three jobs he worked while preparing for one more chance to impress scouts, click here. It's worth a read -- especially if you're in need of some motivation today...

http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/rob-rang/17925208/steelers-sign-wvus-johnson-after-impressive-pro-day-workout/rss?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cbssportsline%2Fnfl_news+%28NFL+Football+News%3A+CBSSports.com%29

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout   Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:14 am

Is he a FB (as suggested in the first paragraph) or a TE as suggested later in the article?

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout   Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 2:14 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
Is he a FB (as suggested in the first paragraph) or a TE as suggested later in the article?

I was wondering the same thing
But in my opinion he's more of a fullback than a TE
or maybe it's just me wishing for a FB Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout 1505004552

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout   Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 4:16 pm

stlrtruck wrote:

It sounds like the ghost of B.A. still haunts us as it seems he's another hybrid TE/FB type.

BEGONE FOUL DEMON OF ARIANS! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!

Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout Exorcist

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout   Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 6:49 am

but Johnson can block, has some speed, and a pretty good receiver. things Johnson doesn't have and can't do. you falling me here? Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout 3562723908
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout   Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 9:49 am

Well, it all sounds good in March. But will Johnson look good July through the end of the season?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout   Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers sign WVU's Johnson after impressive Pro Day workout
Page 1 of 1