Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeKevin Colbert at the NFL Meetings Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Kevin Colbert at the NFL Meetings

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Kevin Colbert at the NFL Meetings Empty
PostSubject: Kevin Colbert at the NFL Meetings   Kevin Colbert at the NFL Meetings EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Posted 5 hours ago
Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert is attending the NFL Annual Meetings and addressed the media on a wide variety of topics. The following is what Colbert had to say.

On CB William Gay:
We knew him leaving was a possibility. We had been in contact with him. His representatives had been in contact with us. We were aware of his trips and that he was going to get offers. He got an offer that he took.

Did the Steelers make him one?
We were in discussions with him, yes.

Do you think you have the young guys that can handle stepping up in his place?
We will find out. It is just like when Bryant McFadden left us and William Gay had to step up and be the starter. You never know if the guys coming up are starter capable until they have to play 16 games. Over the course of 16 games we will find out.

Does that change your draft priorities at all?
No. We always understood that there was a possibility we could lose a guy like William Gay. We have three young guys in the mix. That doesn’t stop us from addressing that position in the draft and it really doesn’t alter any preparation we are doing at this point.

Does the cap situation make it hard to sign your own guys?
We tried to guesstimate what players were going to get and if we could handle it. I am sure the other teams are aware of it as well. You monitor and see if it was doable. If not then we move on. At this point we are moving on.

On Jerricho Cotchery:
He is an unrestricted free agent, much like William Gay was. He's made a few visits. We've been in contact with his people. We will continue to follow that and see where it leads.

On Casey Hampton taking a pay cut:
I won't talk about individual contracts. You'd have to ask the player. To me, that's any part of negotiation. We never discuss the terms.

Any more cuts?
As I said earlier, once we got into free agency, this could continue to evolve. I think I said we were done up to the point when free agency started. We will do whatever we have to do to field the best team in 2012 and that can include more subtractions.

(Read More:) http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Kevin-Colbert-at-the-NFL-Meetings/f9082b6c-768a-4e2e-94d5-058e4eb49784

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1