Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRoethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback

Go down 
+4
solardave
kirklandrules
Bays
Wallace108
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback Empty
PostSubject: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 12:49 am

By Dave Bryan

One of the biggest criticisms that former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians received from the fan base during his time in Pittsburgh was that he didn't use a true fullback and instead opted to use h-back David Johnson at times in a fullback type role as well as two and three tight end sets.

Now that Todd Haley has arrived as the new offensive coordinator we still do not have any clarity whether or not he will use a traditional fullback in his offense, but if it were up to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, he won't

Roethlisberger recently sat down with Bob Pompeani from KDKA for a one-on-one interview and he was asked to give his thoughts about the Steelers needing to use a fullback, to which Roethlisberger replied, "I don't know if you need a fullback if you've got a tailback that can pound the ball. I think last year we only missed one 4th and 1, and 3rd and short, and 4th and short we got almost every single one of them. That's because we had a big pounding back and I think if you have that you don't need a fullback."

READ MORE: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/04/ben-roethlisberger-doesnt-think-the-steelers-need-a-fullback/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

He also didn't think they needed a different offensive coordinator. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1401235891

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 2:23 am

How can the QB of our team be unaware of the importance of a BLOCKING full back. A full back isn't just an alternate, heavier running back, he's a blocker. Something we really, REALLY need. And your right, he also didn't think we needed a new offense coordinator.

I say let Ben throw, and not worry about the front offices decisions Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1505004552

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 2:33 am

No offense to Ben, but I think Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall know more about being a running back than he does. And they both desperately wanted a fullback.

Quote :
Halfback Willie Parker believes the Steelers have gotten away from their patented ground game

Willie Parker pines for the old days, when he would line up behind the fullback in the I-formation and blast through the line, daring a defense to stop the run.

He called it "Steelers football" but said it has disappeared over the past two seasons in favor of more passes and less conviction to use the ground game.

"I just don't think we should give up that quick," Parker said after practice yesterday. "We're the Pittsburgh Steelers, everyone knows we're going to run the ball -- or they used to think we'd run the ball.

"We get into two tights now," Parker said, "it's like without a fullback, [defenses] definitely know what's coming and they know where it's going. I don't know what it is but it's not being effective."

Read more: http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/08346/934446-66.stm#ixzz1rQbJ04Jw

Quote :

Mendenhall endorses use of a fullback

Rashard Mendenhall did anything but lobby for a fullback Wednesday after practice.

But the soft-spoken Steelers' running back said he prefers to have a fullback as a lead blocker instead of a tight end.

His comments were not a knock on Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, Sean McHugh and David Johnson, all tight ends who line up in the backfield from time to time in Bruce Arians’ offense.

They did shed some light on why running backs generally prefer fullbacks to lead the way for them.

“A fullback in the backfield he can probably see a lot of things a tight end couldn’t,” said Mendenhall, who rushed for 1,108 yards and seven touchdowns in 2009, his second season in the NFL. “(Fullbacks) being ballcarriers they know what you’re trying to do, they know where you’re trying to go and they can get there before you so a lot of times the fullback will end up at the same place after reading a play.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/05/26/mendenhall-endorses-use-of-a-fullback/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+triblive/blog/ViewFromThePressBox+

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 5:49 am

Don't forget that Bettis always had the best fullbacks in the game when he was running and I'd say he was "a big pounding back".
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 5:51 am

I agree with you guys. And who's the "big pounding Rb"? Redman isn't little and he can pound it but how long does it take before he is all used up. I wonder what Ben would think if Redman, while being interviewed said we don't need a left tackle when you have a big strong QB? Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 2913999526

That statement is just nonsense!!!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:18 am

C'mon, Ben.... REALLY?!? Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1505004552

He should understand that a fullback will not only benefit the run game, but the passing game as well with added time and protection for him to throw.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:28 am

solardave wrote:
I wonder what Ben would think if Redman, while being interviewed said we don't need a left tackle when you have a big strong QB?
Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1549491426

Although in all honesty, I think we've proved that you don't need a left tackle. Or a right tackle. Or an offensive line for that matter. Well, you need a center to snap the ball.'

kirklandrules wrote:
Don't forget that Bettis always had the best fullbacks in the game when he was running and I'd say he was "a big pounding back".
Yeah, good point KR. I wonder how effective the Bus would have been without a fullback. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 2087824411

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:42 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Yeah, good point KR. I wonder how effective the Bus would have been without a fullback. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 2087824411

It's hard for any running back to be successful when you are met in the backfield by three defenders as soon as you touch the ball. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1505004552

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:50 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

It's hard for any running back to be successful when you are met in the backfield by three defenders as soon as you touch the ball. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1505004552
A lot has been made about Mendy dancing in the backfield. I wonder if that came about partly because, like you said, there are often defenders in the backfield as soon as he gets the ball. Kind of like how a QB gets "happy feet" when he gets hit too much.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:54 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

A lot has been made about Mendy dancing in the backfield. I wonder if that came about partly because, like you said, there are often defenders in the backfield as soon as he gets the ball. Kind of like how a QB gets "happy feet" when he gets hit too much.

Some of it MAYBE. I still think Mendy is auditioning to get into a taping of Soul Train most of the time though (you're welcome, Cap!). I don't see Redman doing it anywhere near as often as Mendy. He picks a spot and goes forward most times. I hate to say it, but I think Mendy is a little soft and is afraid of getting hurt. His penchant for spinning so much reinforces that thought for me.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 10:57 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

Some of it MAYBE. I still think Mendy is auditioning to get into a taping of Soul Train most of the time though (you're welcome, Cap!). I don't see Redman doing it anywhere near as often as Mendy. He picks a spot and goes forward most times. I hate to say it, but I think Mendy is a little soft and is afraid of getting hurt. His penchant for spinning so much reinforces that thought for me.
True, but Redman hasn't carried the ball all that often. If our O-line doesn't improve this year and if we don't use a fullback, we'll see if he puts on his dancing shoes. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 2981382511

Last edited by Wallace108 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 11:06 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

True, but Redman hasn't carried the ball all that often. If our O-line doesn't improve this year and if don't use a fullback, we'll see if he puts on his dancing shoes. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 2981382511

If that trend continues, the Steelers PA operator will have to seriously consider firing this song up on every handoff. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1797695198

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
solardave wrote:
I wonder what Ben would think if Redman, while being interviewed said we don't need a left tackle when you have a big strong QB?
Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1549491426

Although in all honesty, I think we've proved that you don't need a left tackle. Or a right tackle. Or an offensive line for that matter. Well, you need a center to snap the ball.'

kirklandrules wrote:

Thanks Wally for shootin' holes all through my theory...... Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1549491426
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 8:26 am

Let Roethlisberger know the feeling of having that big pounding FB in the backfield on a pass play a few times and see if he changes his tune then?

I believe a FB can not only help the O-line open up some running lanes, but is vital in keeping the QB upright during passing plays when the older, slower O-linemen get blown up by the younger, faster DL and LBs.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 8:54 am

Wallace108 wrote:
I wonder how effective the Bus would have been without a fullback. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 2087824411

Not even close to as effective as he was. Unsung heros like Tim Lester, Jon Witman and Dan Kreider blasted many a linebacker and safety to pop Bettis on some good runs.

The best RB I've ever seen was Barry Sanders. He mostly ran without a FB in front of him and how many highlight films are there of Sanders jooking and jiving to avoid a defender in the backfield? Ultimately, I believe, he retired early because the Lions (Bobby Ross) would not give him a fullback (and pretty much ditched most of the good talent from the team). During the same era, Emmit Smith had Daryl Johnson and became the leading rushing in NFL history. IMO Smith couldn't carry Sander's jock, so that tells you the effect a great FB can have on the outcome of a run play. If Sanders had Moose Johnson in front of him, he would have put up 50,000 yards.

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 10:31 am

i think ben just wants the money to go to a tall receiver

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 10:38 am

vasteeler wrote:
They gave him Sweed. What more does he want? Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 2087824411

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:08 am

Wallace108 wrote:
vasteeler wrote:
They gave him Sweed. What more does he want? Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 2087824411

Yeah but that was a defective WR, that doesn't count. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1378315869 Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1664291743

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
GodSendBigBen
Xtreme Newb
GodSendBigBen

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:13 am

Roethlisberger also thought he did't need a motorcycle helmet, and look how that turned out.
Back to top Go down
http://johnyyrock.hubpages.com/
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:17 am

GodSendBigBen wrote:
Roethlisberger also thought he did't need a motorcycle helmet, and look how that turned out.
He also thought it was a good idea to party with a bunch of college girls. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 294855916

Moral of the story ... don't listen to Ben. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1664291743

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 4:16 am

Wallace108 wrote:
GodSendBigBen wrote:
He also thought it was a good idea to party with a bunch of college girls. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 294855916

Moral of the story ... don't listen to Ben. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 1664291743

And don't forget he wanted to keep Arians around. Further proof that there was some brain damage in that accident. Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback 3798349058

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback   Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback Empty

Back to top Go down

Roethlisberger doesn't think Steelers need a fullback
Page 1 of 1