Steelers Xtreme Forum


 
HomeFour Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

 

 Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)

Go down 
+3
Galax Steeler
fer69
Buddha Bus
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus


Posts : 13488
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : The last bar stool on the left

Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty
PostSubject: Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)   Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) EmptyTue May 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Four Downs: AFC North
by Danny Tuccitto

Pittsburgh Steelers
Biggest Post-Draft Need: Cornerback

Like the previous three teams, Pittsburgh had a limited number of holes to plug, and did a good job plugging the ones in which they were able to do so. At nose tackle, Chris Hoke retired and Casey Hampton probably should, but the Steelers drafted a prototypical 3-4 space-eater in fourth-rounder Alameda Ta'amu. They released longtime inside linebacker James Farrior, but drafted Miami linebacker Sean Spence as his replacement (and maybe even Troy Polamalu's down the road).

Their other roster limitations were largely due to injury, so the situation wasn't as bad as it looked. Most importantly, a pass rush that perennially ranks among the best in the league fell to 14th in adjusted sack rate partly because it was missing James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley some of the time. Similarly, the Steelers' offensive line, which wasn't good in pass protection to begin with, was the third-most-injured offensive line in the NFL. To address that concern, the team used their first two draft picks on DeCastro and Ohio State tackle Mike Adams.

That brings us to cornerback, a position that Pittsburgh basically ignored in the draft despite the free agency departure of William Gay, who last season ranked eighth among corners in yards allowed per pass. The team appears ready to elevate nickel cornerback Keenan Lewis to the starting lineup, a decision that's warranted given Lewis' No. 18 ranking in yards allowed per pass last season. Add him to Ike Taylor, who was a top-10 corner in both yards allowed per pass and defensive success rate, and the Steelers have the makings of a formidable duo.

One problem: Pittsburgh's defense was in nickel or dime over 40 percent of the time last year. So who is going to play when there's an extra cornerback on the field? Process of elimination suggests it will be either Cortez Allen or Curtis Brown, both of whom were drafted in 2011. Seeing as how Allen only saw 10 passes thrown his way last season, and Brown didn't even play a single defensive snap, that's a pretty tall order for both of them -- not to mention an uncharacteristically risky gamble by the Steelers. We're not saying they're bad prospects; they're just incredibly inexperienced for such an important position in this specific NFL era on this specific NFL team.

The good news for Pittsburgh is that there are plenty of serviceable free agents still available. The bad news is that -- who are we kidding? -- Pittsburgh doesn't sign free agents. Oh, lest we forget, there's always -- wait for it -- Bryant McFadden (he's still available).


(Read More:) http://www.footballoutsiders.com/four-downs/2012/four-downs-afc-north-0

_________________
Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Ee7ffacdb22647915dff1a9d3eef0fd8
-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69


Posts : 2190
Join date : 2011-09-17
Location : home dah!!!

Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)   Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:05 pm

i'd like to see Spence play safety

_________________
Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Fer6910

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler


Posts : 11576
Join date : 2011-12-30
Location : Galax Va Nickname: Trixie

Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)   Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:36 pm

I would love to see Curtis Brown get some playing time this year. I still say he will be the best corner behind taylor.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108


Posts : 18260
Join date : 2011-04-03
Location : Y'Town, Ohio

Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)   Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) EmptyWed May 16, 2012 12:38 am

Right now, I'm not too concerned about our corners. I think there's a reason why they allowed Gay to walk without making a serious effort to keep him ... they're confident in the young guys. Lewis stepped up and played well in limited action last season, and they've heaped praise on Brown and Allen.

_________________
Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Juju10

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus


Posts : 13488
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : The last bar stool on the left

Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)   Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) EmptyWed May 16, 2012 4:35 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Right now, I'm not too concerned about our corners. I think there's a reason why they allowed Gay to walk without making a serious effort to keep him ... they're confident in the young guys. Lewis stepped up and played well in limited action last season, and they've heaped praise on Brown and Allen.


That's what I think too. They must have felt confident in them or Lake's ability to unleash the best in them like he did for Gay. I have a feeling Gay will regret leaving Lake's tutelage, but at least he'll have all that money to console him at night. I expect a drop-off in Gay's play this season and beyond.

_________________
Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Ee7ffacdb22647915dff1a9d3eef0fd8
-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave


Posts : 6254
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)   Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) EmptyWed May 16, 2012 4:46 am

Gay surprised me last year and I know it was lake who coached him up. Knowing this and to let him walk the FO and Tomlin have an ace up their sleeve. Look at our history, they don't make mistakes loosing players to FA. They must feel that one of these young guys is already an upgrade.
And for the record I too would like to see if Spence could play safety.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus


Posts : 13488
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : The last bar stool on the left

Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)   Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) EmptyWed May 16, 2012 3:27 pm

solardave wrote:
Gay surprised me last year and I know it was lake who coached him up. Knowing this and to let him walk the FO and Tomlin have an ace up their sleeve. Look at our history, they don't make mistakes loosing players to FA. They must feel that one of these young guys is already an upgrade.
And for the record I too would like to see if Spence could play safety.


No doubt they have confidence that Lewis, Brown, and Allen will fill the void. I think Lake will work his magic with these guys as well and we'll see a drastic improvement in their games this season.

And you can throw my hat into the "Spence as a safety" ring as well.

_________________
Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Ee7ffacdb22647915dff1a9d3eef0fd8
-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck


Posts : 11707
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : Dunedin, FL

Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)   Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:55 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
solardave wrote:
Gay surprised me last year and I know it was lake who coached him up. Knowing this and to let him walk the FO and Tomlin have an ace up their sleeve. Look at our history, they don't make mistakes loosing players to FA. They must feel that one of these young guys is already an upgrade.
And for the record I too would like to see if Spence could play safety.


No doubt they have confidence that Lewis, Brown, and Allen will fill the void. I think Lake will work his magic with these guys as well and we'll see a drastic improvement in their games this season.

And you can throw my hat into the "Spence as a safety" ring as well.

With what I'm reading on Spence, I wouldn't be surprised if LeBeau uses him more as a roaming LB (ala Troy at the line type player), and allow Troy to roam more in the open field. I think Troy's playing style has begun to hurt his functionality at the front line, but allowing him to play more of a roaming safety could mess up opposing QBs minds, especially if we've got some fresh young blood who roam at the LOS and continue to confuse the QB as well.

_________________
Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Scaled.php?server=695&filename=trucky
60 MIN
53 MEN
1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave


Posts : 6254
Join date : 2011-09-30
Location : State of Confusion

Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)   Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) EmptyFri May 18, 2012 2:29 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
solardave wrote:
Gay surprised me last year and I know it was lake who coached him up. Knowing this and to let him walk the FO and Tomlin have an ace up their sleeve. Look at our history, they don't make mistakes loosing players to FA. They must feel that one of these young guys is already an upgrade.
And for the record I too would like to see if Spence could play safety.


No doubt they have confidence that Lewis, Brown, and Allen will fill the void. I think Lake will work his magic with these guys as well and we'll see a drastic improvement in their games this season.

And you can throw my hat into the "Spence as a safety" ring as well.

With what I'm reading on Spence, I wouldn't be surprised if LeBeau uses him more as a roaming LB (ala Troy at the line type player), and allow Troy to roam more in the open field. I think Troy's playing style has begun to hurt his functionality at the front line, but allowing him to play more of a roaming safety could mess up opposing QBs minds, especially if we've got some fresh young blood who roam at the LOS and continue to confuse the QB as well.

So you're saying TWIN TROYS. I like that idea. Now you see'em now you out cold!!! Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) 1797695198
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler


Posts : 4190
Join date : 2011-04-06
Location : richmond va

Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)   Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) EmptyFri May 18, 2012 3:00 pm

i am so excited about the future of our team. new OC, drastically improved O-line, fantastic wide outs, clutch tight ends, dominating defense and ben. the only question marks for me are, who is going to be running the ball? and can we rely on our kicker

_________________
Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Vasign10

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus


Posts : 13488
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : The last bar stool on the left

Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)   Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) EmptySat May 19, 2012 12:40 pm

vasteeler wrote:
the only question marks for me are, who is going to be running the ball? and can we rely on our kicker


The short answers: Redman, Dwyer, Batch, Rainey (MeMo? or Clay?) and no.

_________________
Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Ee7ffacdb22647915dff1a9d3eef0fd8
-"I stand corrected... But I absolutely and wholeheartedly fart
in the general direction of almost every other thing you have posted to this point."-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)   Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers) Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Four Downs: AFC North (Pittsburgh Steelers)
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» NFL Mock Draft: Pittsburgh Steelers & AFC North
» Roster Reset: Pittsburgh Steelers atop AFC North
» Steelers road rally downs Bengals, 24-17
» Steelers Situational Downs Key For Successful 2012 Season
» BREAKING: Steelers Trade For Malik Reed From Broncos + Pittsburgh Steelers 53-Man Roster Cuts

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Steelers Xtreme Forum :: Football & Other Sports :: Steelers Talk-
Jump to: