Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeStarkey: Ben: Fans love the run  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run  Empty
PostSubject: Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run    Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 1:34 am

By Joe Starkey
Tribune-Review

Ben Roethlisberger is throwing some nice passes at Steelers OTAs. He’s also throwing some darts, though it can be difficult to decipher their targets. And their significance.

Take our cryptic exchange, for example.

It didn’t last long, perhaps because Ben had to resume the arduous process of getting a new playbook shoved down his throat. But it might have contained a large clue about coordinator Todd Haley’s “Rosetta Stone” offense.

Or not.

I began by acknowledging the obvious: Roethlisberger understandably was not pleased with the coordinator change. So is it now just a matter of getting on board?

“Yeah, absolutely,” Ben said. “You have no choice.”

Then came a dart.

“And like I said, every day’s getting a little bit better, and we’re learning -- and we’ll be running the ball a lot this year, so fans should be happy.”

Me: “Will you guys be running a lot?”

Him: “I think so.”

Me: “Is that the plan?”

Him: “That’s the way it seems ... I know the fans want it, so it looks like they’ll be getting their wish.”

Hmmm. Do fans really want that?

My impression is that there has always been a small but vocal minority who harbor a quaint notion of smash-mouth Steelers football.

READ MORE: http://triblive.com/sports/1885118-74/ben-steelers-dejankovacevic-fans-roethlisberger-running-game-getting-joestarkey-starkey

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run    Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 6:27 am

I don't think this has anything to do with ALL the fans who want to go back to a smash-mouth football running attack, partially because we don't truly have a smash-mouth runner like we use to have, but I think it has more to do with what can we do to take some pressure off Ben's body so he doesn't get broken half-way through a good season - only to have injuries haunt us in the playoffs?

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run  3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run    Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run  EmptyThu May 31, 2012 7:46 am

[quote="stlrtruck"]I don't think this has anything to do with ALL the fans who want to go back to a smash-mouth football running attack, partially because we don't truly have a smash-mouth runner like we use to have, but I think it has more to do with what can we do to take some pressure off Ben's body so he doesn't get broken half-way through a good season - only to have injuries haunt us in the playoffs?[/quote

Right. Plus I for one would loike to see this o-line dominate in the run game. That will take some pressure off of Ben. Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run  1647293567 We have speed and we don't yet know how guys like Batch and Rainey will figure in but I'm looking forward to seeing what they can contribute. So if that's getting my wish then THANK YOU BEN!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run    Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run  Empty

Back to top Go down

Starkey: Ben: Fans love the run
Page 1 of 1