Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith

Go down 
+7
JonM229
SteelersYak
Wallace108
steelersfan87
vasteeler
Bays
fer69
11 posters
AuthorMessage
fer69

fer69

Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  Empty
PostSubject: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 6:28 pm

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers have released veteran quarterback Troy Smith, a former Ohio State star who won the 2006 Heisman Trophy.

Smith signed with the Steelers earlier this year. He has also spent time with the Omaha Nighthawks (2011) of the United Football League, the San Francisco 49ers (2010) and the Baltimore Ravens (2007-2009). The Ravens drafted him in the fifth round (174th overall) of the 2007 draft.

Smith played in 20 NFL games with eight career starts.

He led Ohio State to a 12-0 record and the No. 1 ranking in 2006 before the Buckeyes were beaten 41-14 by Florida in the Bowl Championship Series title game in Glendale, Ariz. Smith threw 54 TD passes in his career, third best at Ohio State.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/06/25/steelers-release-troy-smith.ap/index.html#ixzz1yqYTPhsS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 7:07 pm

The OSU homer in me just died a little.

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 7:34 pm

bayz101 wrote:

I really thought he was gonna be our third qb

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 7:54 pm

fer69 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

I really thought he was gonna be our third qb

me too Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  2087824411 didnt even make it to camp

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Eh, after Leftwich re-signed he had little chance. I am a bit surprised he didn't make it to camp, but I'm sure part of the decision was practice squad eligibility. And keep in mind the main reason he was likely signed to begin with was because Batch and Leftwich were not under contract at the time. What happens when Batch finally retires though? And Leftwich is getting up there as well.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
Eh, after Leftwich re-signed he had little chance. I am a bit surprised he didn't make it to camp, but I'm sure part of the decision was practice squad eligibility. And keep in mind the main reason he was likely signed to begin with was because Batch and Leftwich were not under contract at the time. What happens when Batch finally retires though? And Leftwich is getting up there as well.
I've always been a strong supporter of Batch. But it's time for him to call it a career. I have confidence in Batch and Lefty for a game, maybe two. But if Ben goes down and we need them to carry us over the course of 4, 5, or 6 games ... yoi. We need a reliable backup.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Troy Smith was not the answer. I bet we draft Ben's replacement in the next 2 years or so. I woulda been surprised if Tory woulda been in the top 3 on the depth chart.

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 11:50 am

Troy Smith.....hahahahahahahahahahahaha

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 3:16 pm

JonM229 wrote:

Yeah, no doubt! If he couldn't beat out Flacco you know he was worthless! Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  3798349058

I honestly am not surprised about this at all. Once they re-signed Batch and Leftwich, the writing was on the wall.

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

Yeah, no doubt! If he couldn't beat out Flacco you know he was worthless! Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  3798349058

I honestly am not surprised about this at all. Once they re-signed Batch and Leftwich, the writing was on the wall.

But batch is like 150 years old, Do we really want him as our back up qb?
I like him a lot but I think it's time for him to call it a career IMO

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:20 pm

fer69 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

I agree, Batch needs to hang it up and we need to get some youth at backup QB, but what does that say about how Smith looked that he couldn't beat out a fragile dinosaur? Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  1797695198

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
fer69 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

I agree, Batch needs to hang it up and we need to get some youth at backup QB, but what does that say about how Smith looked that he couldn't beat out a fragile dinosaur? Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  1797695198

The Steelers would've kept Batch even if he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn this year. Troy's chances of getting in we're slim. He's just a camp body.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:29 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
fer69 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

The Steelers would've kept Batch even if he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn this year. Troy's chances of getting in we're slim. He's just a camp body.

I just worry that the organization's apparent loyalty to Batch could end up hurting us in the long run. If Ben gets hurt again and misses time, we are playing injury Russian roulette with Batch and Leftwich. It would be nice to have one youthful and durable QB waiting in the wings we could depend on. Every time Batch or Lefty drop back to throw I hold my breath waiting for this sound.

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:40 pm

Didn't we draft a qb from Texas A&M?
Is he still around? anybody know

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:43 pm

fer69 wrote:
Didn't we draft a qb from Texas A&M?
Is he still around? anybody know

Yes, we still have Jerrod Johnson currently on the roster. I figure he'll be the practice squad QB.

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:54 pm

My next question Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  1505004552 Is he any good?

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 6:04 pm

fer69 wrote:
My next question Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  1505004552 Is he any good?

I have no idea honestly. I know some people seem to like him, but I don't watch college ball so I don't know.

He must be looking better than Troy Smith at least. Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  2087824411

Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Maybe, but not necessarily. His main advantage was likely his practice squad eligibility.

For what it's worth, I believe Mark Kaboly tweeted yesterday that Smith didn't look good at all pretty much.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Neither Johnson nor Smith were likely to beat out Batch or Leftwich. Johnson is eligible for the practice squad, as Dodens stated. Smith is not. I'm sure that weighed into the decision.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 3:24 am

fer69 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
JonM229 wrote:

Yeah but he doesn't look a day over 120. Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  1664291743
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 2:33 pm

I agree with whoever it was on a prior post.

I think the Steelers have plans to draft a hot QB in the next year or two.

Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  We_bel10
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Gingerchip wrote:
I agree with whoever it was on a prior post.

I think the Steelers have plans to draft a hot QB in the next year or two.

When you say 'hot' are you referring to his playing style or his looks?

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith    Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith  Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers release former Heisman Trophy winner Smith
Page 1 of 1