Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers need young defenders to step up  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers need young defenders to step up

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bays

Bays

Steelers need young defenders to step up  Empty
PostSubject: Steelers need young defenders to step up    Steelers need young defenders to step up  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 1:55 am

Steelers' young defenders must step up

Warren Sapp (playing to character) ruffled feathers last season when he tagged the Pittsburgh Steelers' defense as old, slow and on the way out. That war cry was premature.

The Steelers finished with the league's top unit -- easy to forget after the disaster flick we witnessed in Denver.

Tim Tebow, of all souls, fried Pittsburgh in an AFC wild-card overtime thriller, sending the Steelers home as a confused bunch.

The offseason has brought change: Aaron Smith has retired; James Farrior is out the door, and cornerback William Gay won't be back in 2012. Many of the Steelers veterans are aging (Brett Keisel and his flowing beard are 33; James Harrison -- still terrifying -- is 34). This remains one of the NFL's best defenses, but the time is now for youth to fill in the gaps for coordinator Dick LeBeau.

Read more...

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers need young defenders to step up    Steelers need young defenders to step up  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:22 am

What I don't get is how misinformed Sapp and some other sports talk personalities are when they still think our defense is "old". I heard a sports talk radio host from Baltimore say yesterday that our defense is old. Apparently, these geniuses didn't pay attention after the season ended and we lost/unloaded some of the older vets like Farrior, Aaron Smith, and Chris Hoke. We have young guys taking over their spots in Hood, Heyward, Sylvester, and Spence.

I know Foote is slated as the next man up for Farrior's starting position and he's no spring chicken either, but I could see one of the younger guys stepping up to wrestle that spot away from him. At the very least, they are going to see more playing time on passing downs which makes us younger. We also lost McFadden and Gay and will be replacing them with younger, potentially better and effective CBs in Brown, Allen, and Lewis.

Furthermore, Hampton will probably be starting the season on the PUP list and being replace by a couple of young guys in Steve McClendon and the rookie Alameda Ta'amu who may just keep that starting job when he returns.

I'd say that if anyone has an aging/questionable defense it's the Ravens with old man Lewis and curmudgeonly Ed Reed. They lost a lot of guys in the off-season to free agency and will be plugging in unproven or lesser talent to fill the void.

Oh, and somebody tell Sapp to shut up. He's spitting Cheetos everywhere when he flaps his gum hole with that nonsense. Steelers need young defenders to step up  1797695198

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers need young defenders to step up    Steelers need young defenders to step up  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:29 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
What I don't get is how misinformed Sapp and some other sports talk personalities are when they still think our defense is "old". I heard a sports talk radio host from Baltimore say yesterday that our defense is old. Apparently, these geniuses didn't pay attention after the season ended and we lost/unloaded some of the older vets like Farrior, Aaron Smith, and Chris Hoke. We have young guys taking over their spots in Hood, Heyward, Sylvester, and Spence.

I know Foote is slated as the next man up for Farrior's starting position and he's no spring chicken either, but I could see one of the younger guys stepping up to wrestle that spot away from him. At the very least, they are going to see more playing time on passing downs which makes us younger. We also lost McFadden and Gay and will be replacing them with younger, potentially better and effective CBs in Brown, Allen, and Lewis.

Furthermore, Hampton will probably be starting the season on the PUP list and being replace by a couple of young guys in Steve McClendon and the rookie Alameda Ta'amu who may just keep that starting job when he returns.

I'd say that if anyone has an aging/questionable defense it's the Ravens with old man Lewis and curmudgeonly Ed Reed. They lost a lot of guys in the off-season to free agency and will be plugging in unproven or lesser talent to fill the void.

Oh, and somebody tell Sapp to shut up. He's spitting Cheetos everywhere when he flaps his gum hole with that nonsense. Steelers need young defenders to step up  1797695198

There isn't a Baltimore fan on this earth that can call OUR defense old. We've refreshed that department. If anything B-MORE's DSteelers need young defenders to step up  How_to_create_backyard_grey_fence_for_garden_or_house-8235 is OLD.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers need young defenders to step up    Steelers need young defenders to step up  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:35 am

bayz101 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

There isn't a Baltimore fan on this earth that can call OUR defense old. We've refreshed that department. If anything B-MORE's DSteelers need young defenders to step up  How_to_create_backyard_grey_fence_for_garden_or_house-8235 is OLD.

Of course, Ed Reed is talking his yearly retirement threat so that could make them younger if he carries through on it. Steelers need young defenders to step up  798776511

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers need young defenders to step up    Steelers need young defenders to step up  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:38 am

Baltimore's star defense:

Ed Reed, 33 years old
Ray Lewis, 37.
Terrell Suggs, 29 (bad injury)
Brendon Ayanbadejo, 35.

There offense isn't getting any younger, either:

Outside of Rice, their best offense talent is aging. Hell, Anquan Boldin is 31. He's got some years left, but he's not going to excel. If Rice gets injured, the Ravens are fighting with Browns for fourth place.

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers need young defenders to step up    Steelers need young defenders to step up  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:39 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Of course, Ed Reed is talking his yearly retirement threat so that could make them younger if he carries through on it. Steelers need young defenders to step up  798776511

Oh yeah. He'll be looking for a 12 year, 100 million dollar contract every year until he's eating fiber crackers and drinking Metamucil power drinks.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers need young defenders to step up    Steelers need young defenders to step up  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:40 am

bayz101 wrote:

Ed Reed, 33 years old
Ray Lewis, 37.
Brendon Ayanbadejo, 35.

Outside of Rice, their best offense talent is aging. Hell, Anquan Boldin is 31. He's got some years left, but he's not going to excel. If Rice gets injured, the Ravens are fighting with Browns for fourth place.

I actually thought the Bengals would take a step back this season when I voted in the AFC North post season poll, but I'm beginning to believe that the Ravens may be in danger of assuming the 3rd place role in the North.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers need young defenders to step up    Steelers need young defenders to step up  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:41 am

bayz101 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Oh yeah. He'll be looking for a 12 year, 100 million dollar contract every year until he's eating fiber crackers and drinking Metamucil power drinks.

Steelers need young defenders to step up  1549491426

Don't forget yelling at kids to get off his damn lawn! He'll probably be screaming that at the Steelers' young WRs as they are blowing past him in the secondary this year.Steelers need young defenders to step up  312503953

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers need young defenders to step up    Steelers need young defenders to step up  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:46 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

Ed Reed, 33 years old
Ray Lewis, 37.
Brendon Ayanbadejo, 35.

I actually thought the Bengals would take a step back this season when I voted in the AFC North post season poll, but I'm beginning to believe that the Ravens may be in danger of assuming the 3rd place role in the North.

I honestly (and not just in my hate for B-More) think they'll have the biggest meltdown in YEARS next year. We'll sweep them, and they'll be fighting to keep up with Cincinnati, or maybe even Cleveland.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers need young defenders to step up    Steelers need young defenders to step up  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 8:50 am

bayz101 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

Ed Reed, 33 years old
Ray Lewis, 37.
Brendon Ayanbadejo, 35.

I honestly (and not just in my hate for B-More) think they'll have the biggest meltdown in YEARS next year. We'll sweep them, and they'll be fighting to keep up with Cincinnati, or maybe even Cleveland.

I can see them falling behind Cinci, but let's not get crazy and start claiming they'll be worse than the semi-pro Cleveland Brownstains. That pseudo-JV team is just bad on a whole different level of suck. Steelers need young defenders to step up  1797695198

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers need young defenders to step up    Steelers need young defenders to step up  EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:53 am

Buddha Bus wrote:

I can't think of a single thing to add to that. Well said, Buddha. Steelers need young defenders to step up  184121345

And as far as where the Ravens will finish in the division, as I've said .... lucky for them they've got the Browns to cushion their fall. Steelers need young defenders to step up  755331329

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers need young defenders to step up    Steelers need young defenders to step up  Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers need young defenders to step up
Page 1 of 1