Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJoe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?

Go down 
+3
Buddha Bus
Bays
stlrtruck
7 posters

JoePa statue Leave It or Take It Down?
Leave It
Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? Vote_lcap17%Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Take It Down
Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? Vote_lcap50%Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? Vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
Neutral
Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? Vote_lcap33%Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? Empty
PostSubject: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Today on FB I said it was time for PSU to take the Joe Paterno statue down. If it was up to you, what would your decision be to do?

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 2:10 pm

Well, from what I've heard, Paterno knew about what was going on, and didn't take action. As BAD as that may be, and as SICK as that may be, I can't think of a way it helped him win football games. His statue is a symbol of how legendary a coach he was, right? I don't know. I normally wouldn't touch a discussion like this with a ten-foot pole, and I have my reasons. I'm not going to poke Paterno with a pitchfork. Why? He's dead. I don't talk about people behind their backs, much less if their in the ground.

All I know of Paterno, is what's been brought up in court, and since he's dead and can't defend himself, i'm not going to say anything about him. That's just how I am. As for Sandusky? It's really hard NOT to hate him, but I don't. In fact, I said a prayer for not only all the people who's lives he's permanently damaged, but him as well. The bible says to hate no one, and all I can do is say a little prayer, and god'll do the rest. Some people are messed up in the head. It's sickening, but those who we're involved, will pay for it.

I guess I just wouldn't know what to do if I we're given the decision. I probably wouldn't make it. If it we're Sandusky's statue, maybe i'd feel differently? Sandusky's had the chance to defend himself. I'm just sort of confuddled about the whole thing. But honestly, i'd probably take the statue down just so it isn't set a flame, or pissed on.

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 2:18 pm

I don't know. I'm just not fit for debates like this, especially when the subject is as touchy as this. For example: My neighbor got drunk last night, stripped down, and passed out on his porch. Whilst my dad was calling him an ignorant drunk, and contemplating calling the cops (which I didn't honestly disagree with) I said a prayer for him. I'm not high and mighty, i'm just not very judgmental, especially when I feel I MAY not know the whole story.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 3:26 pm

bayz101 wrote:
I don't know. I'm just not fit for debates like this, especially when the subject is as touchy as this. For example: My neighbor got drunk last night, stripped down, and passed out on his porch. Whilst my dad was calling him an ignorant drunk, and contemplating calling the cops (which I didn't honestly disagree with) I said a prayer for him. I'm not high and mighty, i'm just not very judgmental, especially when I feel I MAY not know the whole story.

I'm fit for these debates to a point, but then loose it when it becomes a flame war because thoughts differ. I agree with you on the concept of not hating anyone and saying prayers for everyone.

On this topic, I would take the statue down because at some aspect he was involved in hiding of the injustice. Honestly, I believe that removing the statue takes away the pointing of fingers and blame and allows everyone to begin the healing process. While the statue in and of itself has nothing to with the healing, it has everything with people not allowing anyone, including the victims, to move forward because people in this day in age want to focus on the negative.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:12 pm

bayz101 wrote:
My neighbor got drunk last night, stripped down, and passed out on his porch. Whilst my dad was calling him an ignorant drunk, and contemplating calling the cops (which I didn't honestly disagree with) I said a prayer for him.

I didn't even know you lived next to Wally! affraid Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? 3798349058

I honestly think they should remove the statue because it will be a constant reminder of the unspeakable things that Paterno enabled through his actions (or inactions) to anyone who sees it. He was a good football coach, but a deplorable human being if he allowed this to be covered up for the sake of his friend and the Penn State mystique. There's no excusing what he allowed in my eyes and he should not be allowed to be held up as a hero for any reason after allowing those kids further harm at the hands of that animal Sandusky. This is coming from a Penn State fan.

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:13 pm

i loved jo pa but if he did indeed cover this up.....down with the statue, saddam hussein style

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:16 pm

vasteeler wrote:
i loved jo pa but if he did indeed cover this up.....down with the statue, saddam hussein style

I would normally agree with this, but it's easy to put an amount blame on a dead man. He can't defend himself. I think the statue will go down either way. Someone will make sure of it.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:27 pm

bayz101 wrote:
vasteeler wrote:

I would normally agree with this, but it's easy to put an amount blame on a dead man. He can't defend himself. I think the statue will go down either way. Someone will make sure of it.

Dead or not, if he did it.... I'll dynamite it myself. There was also plenty of blame spread to others higher up in the university than Paterno in the Freeh Report. They aren't scapegoating a dead guy just to push blame away from themselves. The entire program received a black eye when that report dropped. They need to gut it completely and start over from scratch to even have an inkling of hope to restore any semblance of respectability to that institution.

Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 7:32 pm

They should turn the statue around so it's looking the other way

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 am

I'm not sure. JoePa did a lot of great things for that school, but than again this scandal ruined his reputation and the school's reputation partially. It's hard to say.
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 5:12 am

Down. Down. Down.

I read an opinion by a female on FB that made me sick (see my post on the other Joe Pa thread)

I actually like Jon's idea of making it face the other way. I loved Joe PA at one time (a few family members are Penn State grads). However, he was AWARE of this situation and basically, did nothing.

We can never, ever, ever put football ahead of the welfare of a child. When we begin to do that, we are as bad as Sandusky himself.

Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? We_bel10
Back to top Go down
JonM229

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 10:27 am

They did leave his name on the library, where you're not allowed to say anything. Coincidence?

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?   Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down? Empty

Back to top Go down

Joe Paterno Statue: Leave it up or Take it Down?
Page 1 of 1