Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeInterview with Franco Harris Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Interview with Franco Harris

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bays

Bays

Interview with Franco Harris Empty
PostSubject: Interview with Franco Harris   Interview with Franco Harris EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 3:58 pm

30 Seconds With Franco Harris: ‘It Was a Great Time to Be in Pittsburgh’
By VINCENT M. MALLOZZI

Running back Franco Harris helped the Pittsburgh Steelers win four Super Bowls during his 13-year Hall of Fame career. As a rookie 40 years ago, he caught a deflected touchdown pass from Terry Bradshaw that instantly became known as the Immaculate Reception; it gave the Steelers their first playoff victory, against Oakland. Harris, 62, appeared at a fund-raiser last month for the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor Foundation at Yankee Stadium.

Q.

Do you still get goose bumps when you think about the Immaculate Reception?

A.

I have to admit that catch keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger. When people look back at the great success that the Steelers have had the last 40 years and wonder where it all started, well, it all began right there. If not for that catch, all the success that followed might not have ever happened.

Q.

What were your thoughts heading into that 1972 season with a franchise that had never won a playoff game?

A.

From 1933 to 1971, the Steelers were the worst team in N.F.L. history, and that’s the team I was going to play for, so I really didn’t go in with so much hope. But that 1972 season was phenomenal, and the fans went crazy. For 40 years, it was like our fans had this pent-up energy and frustration; they never had an outlet to cheer. But that year, it all came out, and in the decade that followed, it never let up. It was a great time to be in Pittsburgh.

Q.

When you came out of Penn State, did you think the Steelers would draft your college teammate Lydell Mitchell ahead of you?

A.

I didn’t know who the Steelers were going to pick, but I was hoping it wouldn’t be me. In my wildest dreams, I never would have thought I would have been the first running back taken in the draft that year, I still can’t comprehend that.

Read more: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...in-pittsburgh/

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Franco Harris   Interview with Franco Harris EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Quote :
I didn’t know who the Steelers were going to pick, but I was hoping it wouldn’t be me.

HAHAHA!!!!!! I remember Joe Greene saying he was upset when he was chosen by the Steelers, too.

And the rest is history.........

Interview with Franco Harris We_bel10
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Franco Harris   Interview with Franco Harris EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 7:08 pm

NOOOOObody wanted to be drafted by us back then. Interview with Franco Harris 1797695198
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Franco Harris   Interview with Franco Harris EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Good interview!!!! Too bad the link didn't work for me Interview with Franco Harris 2306309830

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Franco Harris   Interview with Franco Harris Empty

Back to top Go down

Interview with Franco Harris
Page 1 of 1